“Wouldn't recommend to anyone” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Resort Martino Hotel & Spa

You added Resort Martino Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Resort Martino Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   In front of Zoo Ave | La Garita de Alajuela, Alajuela 2203, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Alajuela
“Wouldn't recommend to anyone”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed here to stay out of the main city thinking it would be safer and we could get massages on our last day of travel. We scheduled massages which and they only had a massage scheduled for him, not for me. Only one person spoke a little English at the front desk and she wasn't there at the time to discuss. The housekeeping staff has a master key to your lock box rendering it useless. We had issues with it and they had to come and reset it. We had someone call twice and hang up in the evening and later someone used a key to enter out hotel room and run down the hall before we could catch them (we were in the hotel room at the time and they probably noticed the light from the tv and ran off). When we checked out they had an additional restaurant receipt for a meal we didn't have with our hotel room hand written on the top. We tried to tell the man at the front desk about the issues above and he seemed concerned but not too surprised. My husband speaks a little Spanish but almost no one there speaks English at all. I would've preferred to stay overnight in a chair at the airport than to stay here again. I didn't feel safe and they tried to overcharge us intentionally . Another review stated to check your bill over as they like to overcharge rich international travelers. If you wanted to be robbed come stay here.

Stayed July 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Playa Carrillo, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2015

Very large establishment. Friendly staff. Air conditioning not real great and if you actually looked at the walls in your room, YUCK!! Don't touch they were filthy!!! Pool was needing a vacuumed but overall clean of debri. Restaurant was big and most of the food was good.. The caprese salad was a no good for an Italian restaurant

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with friends
Palm Bay, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2015

We needed a last minute room near the airport because we had to leave CR on a day other than what we originally planned. The place we originally booked was full and could not accommodate us. I asked for recommendations and this place was one of them. We had 5 people in our party and needed air conditioning, so our options were limited.

After a very long and late arrival, we were escorted to our villa (number 103). This villa is located way in the back of the property behind some maintenance buildings. I assume this was all they had available because there was some event going on that night.

My husband required assistance to get to the villa because he was on crutches. The hotel had someone with a golf cart give him a ride from our car to the door. This service was very much appreciated since it would have been a long uphill climb for him from the car. There are 3 higher than normal steps up to the door which my husband barely made it up. The villa has nice architecture and could be truly elegant if furnished properly.

The villa has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a combined living room/kitchen. One of the air conditioners did not work well in one of the bedrooms and there isn't one in the common area. There wasn't any hot water in either bathroom. The whole villa seemed to be under furnished. Only overhead lighting as no lamps were provided. The phone did not work, but we were told of this before we took the room. The TV did not have any cable signal. The beds were OK, but the pillows were lumpy. There were bugs in the bedroom and bathroom. The cabinets and drawers in the kitchen were empty. There was no WIFI.

We were provide room service from the menu. The food was only OK. When I called and ordered from the front desk, I was transferred to someone who did not speak English very well. As a result, one of the items we ordered was wrong. There wasn't a table to eat at and there wasn't enough seating in the living room for everyone, so some of us had to eat sitting on the bed.

The next morning I called the front desk, but got no answer. We needed the golf cart again to get my husband to the car. I had to drive to the front to get someone to bring the cart. No "to go" breakfast was available as I thought we had agreed to the previous evening. I had to go in and fill a takeout container with fruit which was the only edible food available.

We didn't try to resolve any of these issue since we were exhausted and had to get to the airport early the next morning. Also, I could not find this hotel in GPS we rented from Vamos we had to get directions. Its kind of across the street from Zoo Ave so that location can get you close.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2015

Whilst being the second city of Costa Rica, Alajuela (say Al-Ah-Whey-La) is not blessed with much in the way of upscale places to go for a drink/meal, etc at the time of writing & undoubtedly 'La Garita' some 4 miles or so away from the city is a gem of a place; we like it so much we live there! Location wise The Martino is great & we keep going back but beware... The place is normally quiet; for example the last time we visited on a Friday evening, there was us & another couple in a restaurant which can handle maybe 200 people! (Not untypical in Costa Rica by the way). Anyway the food is OK, the Al fresco dining area overlooking the pool & gardens is particularly nice but my main gripe is that they try to 'sting' you. Costa Rica is for the uninitiated expensive in terms of restaurant bills in any case with nearly 25% added in statutory service & taxes but do check your bill, even though we (hate ourselves for doing it) go fairly regularly & are 'known' there, they consistently try to overcharge us. Madness. We couldn't help but notice our fellow diners querying their bill & having it reduced, so were prepared for similar which we got. Not a fortune but maybe $10 on top of what it should have been & had to point this out to the waiter who rectified it of course, but no coincidence that both tables had to query & have bill amended. Dare to say standard practice. Most of their business comes from international tourists who are casual with their money & do not do the simple calculation of Dollars to Colones in any case (Basically 1000 Colones is about 2 US Dollars so not complicated) & so it appears 'policy' to add a bit here & there as most people will just pay it. So in summary, a nice place to be, (living in the same area we have not actually stayed in the rooms but friends have & gather the rooms are in need of refurbishment) upscale, food & drinks are good but beware.. Almost certainly they will try to inflate what are already high prices.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2015

We stayed here just for a night before leaving for the airport. It looks like a big fancy resorts but is a rather strange place. Perhaps it was grand and luxurious once, but is clearly in some sort of disrepair. The service is good, and staff very friendly. It is also literally 10 mins from the airport , so perfect for early am flights as we had. Great pool and gardens.
Cons: no elevator, and large grounds. Not easy to get around if you have trouble walking, though they do have golf carts. We were moved from one room, in the area by the pool to,another, in the area by the gym. The former room was dated but very charming, with detail and an open flat balcony. We only moved as it was very noisy due to a large party which they do host, so make sure you ask if you expect quiet! The room we were moved to was quiet, but it was also thoroughly charmless, I guess in the newer wing.

So all in all, fine for a one night base, but needs some TLC to become what it seems like it used to be once.

Room Tip: Rooms by pool are very charming, but can be noisy if the club is throwing a party or event. Rooms b...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2015

We stayed here for two days for a course with more than 150 people and the service was amazing, the food good, and the facilities are great. Loved the pool and the rooms are very spacious and amazing,

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015

After having backpacked and staying at Hostels for about one month in Costa Rica I decided to treat myself for 4 nights at this 5 star hotel. My expectation to the place was quiet and nice surroundings, spafacilities, gym, good restaurent, soaking in a bathtop and going on tours to a volcano and a coffee farm. And off course I aspected good service.

Rooms:
Check in time is at 2 pm and I arrived early, maybe 12 o'clock and allready got my room which was a great service.

The rooms are nice and clean and I have never sleept in a bed that big and comfortable. You get your room cleaned every day if you wish so. There is an old-fashion tv, but no DVD as written in the description on booking.com.

Also there is no mini-bar as written in the description at booking.com, only an empty fridge, which annoyed me one day as I had the cravings for chocolate and chips. You can not buy this at the hotel either.

Small things like conditioner-holder was empty and when i got it filled up I seemes old and with lumps. The sink didn't work properly, the clock was not at the right time. Small things but still I think they should be mentioned.

Gym:
The place have a gym and I felt like going there one morning. But I was disapponited to find out that apparently the gym is only opened from 6 pm to 9 pm. 3 hours a day. The reason for this the staff told me, is because the spa is opened doing the day. And they can not be opened at the same time. I didn't look further at the facility and types of gym.

Spa:
I didn't try the spafacilities when I saw the prices for the treatments. I had gotten a massage one other time in Costa Rica, and this was like triple price. I could get a massage in Denmark for less and be sure about the quality, professionalism and certification, which I didn't feel like taking a chance on here, as I was scared of another disappointment.

Poolarea:
The pool is nice, big and clean and you have it mostly to yourself. There are lots of tanningsbeds available, as there was not a lot of other guests while I stayed at the Hotel.

Breakfast:
The breakfast which is included is not 5-stars standard. 2 kinds of dry breed you can toast, with butter, one kind of cheese, 2 kinds of jam, coffee, juice, fresh fruit, but one of the days I could tell that the fruits was from the day before and dried out. You get to choise your eggs as you want them, and one day the eggs came with rice and beans other days it didn't- seemes random. Not a breakfast that suits a 5 star hotel after my opinion.

Communication with staff:
I had specifically asked for a room with a bathtop through my booking with booking.com and also wished for it, at the lady at the reception who said yes yes. When I arrived to my room I was disappointed to see that there was no bathtop. Also my booking said that I have garden and poolview, which I didn't have. I didn't do more about this.

One morning I wanted to get a taxi later on the day and I went to the reception to order one for 2.30 that same afternoon. The lady told me to call her when I wanted the taxi. I asked again to get one at 2.30 as I knew the time and wanted to order it at that point so that it was taiking care off. She finally agreed. Then I asked for a taxi that accepts VISAcard, as this was the end of my stay in Costa Rica and I didn't have much cash left. She said no first, but then she would ask the taxi company. She never got back to me and I had to call the reception to confirm if it was possible – which it luckily was and I should not worry. That is good – but maybe just let me know!!!

I decided to plan my own coffeetour and had e-mailed and called around to different companies. At the recpetion the lady tells me that somebody called about the Arena volcano tour. I asked for the name, phonenumber and when the person had called. The lady didn't know when the person had called, had not received any name or phonenumber, so I could call the company back. So she just left it to me finding out, which I felt was VERY BAD service.

The guards at the hotel were really nice and serviceminded. I needed a scissor at one point and the guard lent it too me without any problems. Also the wake-up call and the taxi when I left early in the morning was done my the guards and with no problem.

Tours/sourroundings:
The hotel is located in nice and quiet surroundings where it is possible to relax.

I wanted to book a tour to Poas and a coffee plantation and the staff is nice and helpful and called around. The problem was that you don't get picked up by any of the tours at the Hotel, apparently it is off the way. Only hotels in San Jose you will be icked up at the hotel. So the pick up point is 20 dollars ekstra each way in taxi. I would not recommend this hotel if you do not have your own car or are willing to pay a lot of money for getting around with taxis. The tour was 22 dollars and my transportation would be 57 dollars, which a lady at the tour company could see was unreasonable so decided to skip the collective transportation so that I only payed the taxi.
This coffeetrip at Britts was very nice, lots of informative with the coffeehistory, farming, production and the guides were positive, smiling, serviceminded and you get to smell and taste a lot of coffee. I can deffinately recommend it. I bought too much coffee at the shop to fit in my suitcase.

On the other side of the street is the zoo ave located, which was a really great experince. This place helps animals that are hurt or can't take care of them selves for any reason. It's worth a visit.

Booking.com:
When I checked out from the hotel there was an ekstra 52 dollars in tax, which is not included at the price showed at booking.com. This came as a surprice for me, as all other places I have stayed in, in Costa Rica I got the exact amount oplyst. Just be aware of that, there is an additional tax on 13 %.

I think there are a lot of the descriptions from booking.com that wasn't true. F.eks. Bathtop, minibar and poolview. I recommend that the hotel and booking.com get these facts corrected so that guesst don't expect things they don't get.

My overall experience of this place is not good. I'm sad to say that I was happy to leave this place and I left with an unsatisfied feeling, having spent a lot of money with not that facilties, service and communication that i had expected. Dont expect 5 star after european standards. I felt many things were disappointting and a lot of things were uneasy. I can not reccommend this hotel and I would not stay at this hotel again.

I am sorry that I didn't read other peoples reviews on tripadvisor before booking.
Sorry for the long review. I really needed to get this off my chest.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo