“Bugs, uncomfortable, inconvenient, not worth it” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Resort Martino Hotel & Spa

You added Resort Martino Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Resort Martino Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   In front of Zoo Ave | La Garita de Alajuela, Alajuela 2203, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
“Bugs, uncomfortable, inconvenient, not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Checked in with my hubby, first room sounded like bats were flying around in the ceiling... Killed 4 red ants and smelled like mold. They upgraded us to a suite in the back of the property, much larger but toilet didn't work. They moved us to room next door, double beds (not king) shower never got warm, didn't drain, no soap, or variety of towels... Beds were hard. Only thing good about this place is the pool and the gym...but not worth the stay!

• Stayed January 2013
adriano_martino, Manager at Resort Martino Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear guess, your comments are very important to us, this would help us to improve the services we provide, we apology for the inconvenient, immediately we going to take care of this issue and hope your next trip you can give us the opportunity to demonstrate we can do better, also I am glad though that you enjoyed the pool and the gym.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This place is crawling with bugs. One of our friends stayed in an adjacent room and a tiny part of her door frame came off, revealing about a 1,000 ants and their eggs. She actually took a video of it before changing rooms. Our room was not cleaned well and there were bugs all around. In fact, my roommate had ants in her scrambled eggs from the hotel breakfast. I get this is Costa Rica, but other resorts I've stayed in in C.R. did not have this issue.
The A/C is old and dirty, we've developed respiratory problems breathing the air conditioning here. The restaurant is over-priced, food is mediocre, and service extremely slow.
The front desk wasn't helpful either, they booked tours for me, but didn't give me confirmations, so I had no idea the price or pickup time. Then gave me a difficult time when I asked for copies of the confirmation, saying it was my responsibility, not theirs. Lastly, although they have wifi, it's unsecured and rarely works.
On the plus side, they have a large gym and the pool is one of the biggest I've ever seen, which is quite relaxing.
When I travel, I value clean rooms and friendly staff, and this resort has neither. I've stayed in nicer hostels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at Martinos for a few days this month, and the staff and service was very attentive and good. The room was very clean and comfortable and the views were amazing. The pool was a good size and plenty of lounge areas. The casino staff was exceptionally friendly and best priced beverages in the area :)

Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Went for a relaxing vacation for seven days and to meet a local friend of mine. Those plans fell apart but, while I was there I had a wonderful and relaxing stay. The entire staff was wonderful and would go out of their way to help. The restaurant "La Foccacia" staff were wonderful and got to know them all on a first name basis. They would always greet you with a smile and a handshake. The room was perfect allowing me to relax and unwind. The grounds were kept up impeccably and the ground crew were in the process of the fall clean-up. I will definitely stay again when I go back to Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor and at the corners. Air flow during day, or night makes it so you don...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We wanted to scape for two days with our two kids, so we thought about going somewhere close to the city. At the beginning it looked like we were going to have a nice time. The place is cool, but the rooms are pretty average.
The service at the restaurant is slow, and pretty for what they are charging you! the place was empty and it took forever, the food is pretty average and expensive, they don't have basic italian ingredients (is an italian restaurant!), they forget your order or they mix up your order, at the end I was very frustrated with the restaurant.
I have to say, the spa is nice! and the pool is great!
Now rooms! OMG! they have a musty odor, I guess not too many people stay there, the bed covers smelled a little musty. And at night there where some ants crawling on me...
Not worth the price you pay at all...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Beautiful and quiet location convenient to the airport, without the airport feel. I wanted a nice place to stay while visiting a friend, and this was perfect. I stayed 5 nights and was not disappointed with any part of my stay. The property is well maintained, comfortable room, and very nice helpful staff.

Room Tip: Since there are only two stories, the view of the pool and property is better from the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Etters, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I had a very relaxing experience at this hotel. Though I have never stayed in the hotels near the San Jose airport we saw several of them up close while meeting for tours. The resort Martino in my opinion was a huge upgrade. The hotels near the airport felt as if they were in an industrial complex. The grounds of the Martino were extremely well maintained with lots of exotic plants & flowers. You felt as if you were in the rain forest and well off the beaten path. The buildings on the property are old but very well maintained, the wooden doors on each room had a different hand-carved motif, the pool is huge & clean - olympic size or bigger. The staff was courteous & helpful. The food at the restaurant was extremely good, many Italian choices and a breakfast buffet. There is an interesting zoo right across the street within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again & recommend it to anyone. All of the tours will come directly to your hotel & pick you up.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Resort Martino Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!