“Hotel Buena Vista in Costa Rica” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Buena Vista

Save Saved
You added Hotel Buena Vista to your Saves list
Hotel Buena Vista
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Across from catholic church, Pilas, Alajuela, Alajuela 4050, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 30 hotels in Alajuela
Cortlandt Manor, New York
“Hotel Buena Vista in Costa Rica”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a cute hotel overlooking the city of Alajeula, but the one thing that detracted from our experience was the terrible food. I am not overly picky at all, but I found it inedible. My husband said it was like college food. Also, the service in the restaurant was poor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BuenaVistaAlajuela, Owner at Hotel Buena Vista, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I am very sorry these guests did not enjoy our restaurant. We would have gladly replaced these meals no questions asked had we been asked. I am at a loss to explain what happened. Normally our guests enjoy the food we prepare. We get many food and beverage compliments on Trip Advisor, also in our suggestion box, and written in our guest book. I have to conclude that everything that could go wrong with a meal did, in this instance. Describing the food as similar to "college" implies what I call " institutional food" that found in schools, hospitals etc. In reality, we prepare everything fresh. Our vegetables are from the farmers market, never frozen or canned. We bake our own dinner bread and the 2 breakfast pastries. We mash real potatoes. Nothing is more important than the restaurant in a hotel. The quality of our food is VERY important to us. Two of our chefs have been to culinary school. We buy our meat and fish from the most expensive supplier in Costa Rica, the same supplier as the Marriott Four seasons uses. Last week we flew in a food and beverage expert, a consultant from Florida, USA. She reviewed all our restaurant procedures and is now back in Florida writing new recipes, new directives, and creating a completely new menu. This food and beverage expert is scheduled to come back here May 10 to further our efforts to serve excellent food. To summarize, we work hard here. We take the restaurant/dining experience here very seriously. The ladies in the kitchen try very hard to create, fresh, healthy, flavorful cuisine. I can tell you that on rare occasion everything can go wrong for one guest or one table and it seems that is what happened here. I sincerely hope these guests return so I can make amends.

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Minnesota City, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Positives
Airport shuttle service
views of the city
Garden
Pool
Great breakfast fruits and bread (filling)
Rooms have beautiful carved wood doors and nice beds
15-20 minutes to airport
15-20 minutes to Poas (get up to Poas by 800 Opening if you hope to see the crater)

Negatives
Staff indicated we could get a shuttle at 445AM. Actual did not leave till 505AM. Made it rushed for a 700 flight
Rooms need screens. A few bugs and mosquitos got in a night. A mosquito kept me up one of the nights I stayed.
No air conditioning although it was not needed if the door was opened, but then then some bugs got in. Not a lot of them just a few.

Overall I would stay there again

Room Tip: Get a balcony room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BuenaVistaAlajuela, Owner at Hotel Buena Vista, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I am very sorry that somehow our shuttle was late. I assure you this is not a frequent event. Our policy is for the driver and vehicle to be in our entrance 10 minutes before departure. On rare occasions something is going to go wrong and in this case obviously it did. On the subject of screens, temperature and insects I would like to clarify a couple things. Costa Rica has many insects but altitude has a LOT to do with it. We are at 4500 feet and the number of insects here is a small fraction of the tropical jungle areas at sea level. Also, the temperature here is considerably cooler than the lowlands, perhaps 15-20 degrees F (9 to 12 C) cooler. Typically you will need to use the light blanket on the bed as the temperature at night is in the low to mid 60's F. (approx 18 C.) There are no seasons in Costa Rica so the temperature is constant year round. This guest mentions we need screens. You can be sure Hotel Buena Vista has screens on EVERY window in the hotel. This guest is referring to a lack of screen doors from your room onto the outside balcony. Our balcony doors are wood with glass panes and glass sidelights in an arch shape(basically French doors). We do not want to add screen doors because the screens will obstruct the amazing views from your room to the valley, mountains, the gardens, the pool etc. We do not want to compromise the views from the rooms with screen doors onto the balconies. Mosquitoes are almost unheard of here because of our altitude and the breeze. I have owned this hotel for 3 years and honestly I have never seen a mosquito yet. Our guests dine outside on the pool deck with no mosquitoes or biting insects. I also live in Florida where mosquitoes bites are very common. I am not saying we did not have a mosquito just that it is very uncommon, practically zero. Please visit us, you will not need insect repellent spray. I want to thank these guests for staying with us and I personally invite them back. Again, I apologize for the late shuttle.
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The room when you walk is a delight, two big beds, a clean bathroom, nice shower, it's a good hotel. Outside there's a pool, a garden, a coffee walk, great views, it really is a good hotel and frankly could be a 3 1/2 star. We were let down by the food, being veggies we had a breakfast served with ham, even though we'd both had the veggie burger (same staff) for dinner. The waiter then very pointedly tried to find the reference to ham in the menu item (huevos rancheros) which was offensive on top of the 20 minute delay and their mistake. We didn't fancy what would follow so left. You should also bear in mind the food was the most expensive we found in Costa Rica, by a distance but then we avoided the big resort hotels, my guess is that was the Buena Vista's price point. It was telling as on the drive there (on a Sunday lunchtime) all the restaurants we passed were completely rammed) yet on arrival at the Buena Vista the restaurant was empty.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I'm sorry this guest was dissatisfied with our restaurant. Apparently he had a vegetarian dish at night and expected the waiters to remember this in the morning. This is really not a reasonable expectation. The hotel is full a lot and even with only 30 rooms we often serve 40 to 90 dinners (plus the bar and poolside guests). The waiters rotate shifts so chances are your waiter in the morning is not the same individual as the prior evening (but could be). We serve Juevos Rancheros with or without ham and a simple mistake was made by accidently serving this vegetarian guest ham. I am not sure of the ensuing conversation with the waiter but our policy with a food problem is to do whatever the guest wants, such as replace their meal etc. We don't argue with a guests about food or hopefully anything else. If this guest feels his service was not acceptable, I apologize. As to our restaurant being expensive, I do not agree. I am not sure where this guest ate which was so much cheaper? Costa Rica is by far the best country to visit in Central America but it is not cheap. Prices here are comparable to U.S.A. and Europe. Our dinner entrees run from $10 for Spaghetti Pomodoro to $20 for Filet Migon. Our side salads for example are not the usual iceberg lettuce with one stale crouton. A side salad here consists of lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, heart of palm, onion, carrot, cucumber etc. Also, we buy our meat and seafood from the MOST expensive provider in Costa Rica, the same company which supplies Marriot Four Seasons. I can get meat for a third the price we currently pay. We serve premium Gouda cheese at breakfast, four times the price of the local cheese. This guest complained that the breakfast bread was to sweet. He referred to it as "American bread". Well, I'm American so he is probably correct. The breakfast breads he did not care for are fresh baked Banana Bread, homemade Cinnamon Raisin buns and wheat toast. No place has more (or better) pastries than Europe so I am not sure what this guest is looking for? Lastly, the writer mentions we are not busy at lunch. This is correct but not due to price or quality. We are on top of a mountain off the main road. Our restaurant is not really public, more for guests of the hotel. We are in the vicinity of the famous "Poas" volcano also La Paz Waterfall Park, the Canopy (zip line) tours etc. Our guests do not typically stay around the hotel during the day. This is a very active area for sight seeing so almost all our guests leave the hotel for the entire day. Most of the popular attractions are about 40 minutes away with many restaurants right there, (even within the various parks). To drive back to the hotel would waste an hour and a half in the middle of the day plus gas, very inconvenient. We are packed for dinner and breakfast but are not convenient for lunch if you are touring the most popular attractions. I regret we did not satisfy this guest and hope he will return and try us again. We always strive to improve.
Medford, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here one night on a stopover from Puerto Jiminez. The hotel was recommended by Lyn of Casa Bambu Resort in the Osa Peninsula. The hotel was clean and beautiful. We stayed in the most expensive room (a villa) because everything else was booked. The room was so fantastic so I didn't mind the price.
We arrived late and left very early. I am bummed we didn't get to spend more time there. We did have dinner in the restaurant, and it was quite excellent.
We had to leave very early in the morning, before they served a continental breakfast for other guests. Hotel staff knew we had to leave prior and were kind enough to set out our very own continental breakfast complete with everything, fruit, pastries, OJ and coffee. It was such a nice touch and very thoughtful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were only in Alajuela for one night, but our experience made us want to stay longer. The hotel had great views of San Jose and Alajuela and is only 15 mins from the airport. We met the owner and he was very helpful and accomodating. The room was beautiful, very Spanish-like. Not too much in the surrounding area but it is easy to get around. Food at the hotel was great, and the bed was the comfiest we had for the whole trip. Free shuttle to the airport which was great! They also provide tours that you can do in the surrounding attractions (which unfortunately we did not get to do). There is a small coffee trail that you can take around the property which was nice. We didn't stay in them, but they have villas on the property which looked magnificent, and had stunning views to the valley below. You can see Poas volcano from the front of the hotel as well. There is a small pool in the back which was nice as well.
We would definitely stay here again if we go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We are currently sitting by the pool here & it is perfect! This is the last night of our trip (San Jose Airport is only 10-15 mins away) and this is a fabulous ending! The rooms have recently been renovated and the whole property is gorgeous. We love how it feels so peaceful and elegant. We will for sure recommend this gem to anyone coming thru San Jose! (& breakfast is included)

• Stayed March 2013
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed here 4 times now in the hotel and will continue to use this as my first night after flying in to Costa Rica and as my last night before flying out of Costa Rica. The staff are very helpful and speak English. Some have worked here for years which shows me that they are treated well and like their job. This is a somewhat small establishment situated on the top of a hill with beautiful views of the city. The short cofffee trail is nice for stretching your legs and seeing some birds. I have not stayed in the new villas but they look exceptionally nice (and expensive). The hotel although not cheap is still a good value. They provide a shuttle to and from the airport ( from 5 am to 11 pm but check on the times). Food is good. They are doing some remodeling of the rooms so some will be more updated than others but all are good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Buena Vista? Share your experiences!