“Pictures: disappointing experience!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 activities in Alajuela
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: WHITEWATER RAFTING & KAYAKING. Since 1990, Sarapiqui Outdoor Center has offered the best in Costa Rica whitewater rafting trips and kayaking clinics for adventurers of all abilities, from beginners to experts.Based out of our most convenient location in La Virgen de Sarapiqui,Sarapiquí Outdoor Center river trips and instructional clinics are only 90 minutes from La Fortuna,San Jose and Caribean .Enjoy the abundant wildlife of the numerous species of birds that live here, swim in a natural pools, hike our trails, use the community kitchen, private parking and hammock lounge. If you want some more adventure in your day, check out our rafting trips and kayaking clinics.Sarapiquí River is a Natural Monument of Costa Rica. The Best River for White water rafting in The country. Class : II & III – III & IV - IV & V.Go white whater Rafting with the us….
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Pictures: disappointing experience!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We went water-rafting with our family with Sarapiqui Outdoor Center. Whereas the rafting itself was fine, David had made (supposedly beautiful) pictures from us throughout this experience. We decided to buy these pictures, and David convinced us not to demand a disk with the pictures but to trust him that he would send them to us digitally.

What he sent us was an insult. First he sent pictures sized like stamps (such that neither printing them nor watching them on a laptop is possible), then he sent us pictures of a different group, and then he simply ignored any further requests to send us the normal-sized correct pictures. Even besides the money we paid for these pictures, we feel betrayed in our trust in David and this treatment puts a disappointing stain on an otherwise fun experience!

Visited August 2012

New York City, New York
“Above and beyond our expectation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

It was a last minute decision to go whitewater rafting as we were to be leaving the next day. When we arrived to the Sarapiqui Outdoor Center we were told that the last group raft just went out. Seeing that we were disappointed they said that if we didn't mind the wait that they would take my boyfriend and I out. We were thrilled! David and Alex were our instructors and they were amazing. Very fluent in English and Spanish (obviously) made it easy for constant communication. They provided us with very thorough safety rules and assured us an amazing experience, which it more than lived up to. It was an amazing time, a memory to be cherished always. The family run business is very courteous, helpful, accommodating, warm, and inviting...I cant rave enough about them. The BBQ they cook up is beyond fantastic, delicious and plentiful to say the least, the excursion is an exciting, adrenaline filled rush. They explained the history of the river, showed us the animal life that resides around the river such as the monkeys in the trees, the cattle in the surrounding farms, etc, and allowed us to enjoy the rapids by letting us "ride the bull" (which i strongly recommend if given the opportunity). Afterward we enjoyed coffee, fresh fruit, and small talk until just before dark when we said our thank you's and good bye's. I left feeling as if they'd treated us like family and I'm certain that upon our next visit to Costa Rica we will visit Alex, David, his amazing family, and the Sarapiqui Adventure Center again. I can't wait for the day!

Visited July 2012
Portsmouth, Ohio
“Great guide and meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

My friend and I had a great time rafting here! It was our first white water rafting experience, and the guides explained everything well and clearly. We did Class II and III, since the water was too low to go on the Class IV section. We stopped once along the way for a pineapple and watermelon break, and there was a great place to jump in the river and swim. At the end of our trip, we were bused back to SOC where they had an absolutely delicious Argentine barbecue waiting for us. Lots of meat if you're a meateater, and they even had great vegetarian options! Muy rico! We found everyone very friendly, helpful, and our guide on the raft was charismatic and funny. We had a great trip and would recommend to all!

Visited April 2012
Swindon, UK
“Nothing but rudeness and disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I regret to say this is not a serious or courteous company; be careful when booking because I had a really bad experience unfortunately.
I made the reservation for my group more than 3 weeks in advance; only the day before, at 5:17pm, I received an email saying to please contact them. I was on vacation, so I was very lucky that I did pick up the email because I wasn’t checking very frequently (as you would on vacation). I called them only to find out, (again, just 12 hours before they were supposed to pick us up) that they were cancelling our reservation and could no longer pick us up or provide the service. They told me that their company couldn’t come and pick us up because they were going to lose money (in spite I have emails saying is all booked and confirmed), so we had two options: we could get there go by our own means (that meant more than 5 hours driving in the day – no option of public transport) or they could reimburse the money. What also surprising it’s how RUDE and AGGRESSIVE they were, it was as if they were doing us a favor and like if we had no rights at all. We chose the second option for several reasons: it’s not professional to cancel with such a short notice or for such a lame reason, the road to get there is quite dangerous, really bad state of the road and really close curves require a bit of an expert Costa Rican driver, and of course we were upset that they didn’t have the courtesy to even give us a call but rather let us know through an email, which if we hadn’t seen, we would have shown up at 6:00am at the place agreed and be stood up, completely wasting our time when I bet you can relate, everyone of course had to plan, or a take a day off work, choose doing this over other activities, etc, time is just priceless when you are vacation and you want to make the most of it. Choosing the reimbursement was not any better… they said they would send me an email with all the data they needed from me, so they could return the money. Three weeks have gone by and I’m still waiting for the email… I’ve had to call multiple times and write several emails and still don’t have my money back. It’s really regrettable that they play with you like this. I would have to recommend more trustable and established companies like Rios Tropicales, who was competent enough to book us that very same day without any drama, with a smile and great customer service. If I can’t trust a simple reservation with them, makes me even wonder about their boats!

Visited April 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
27 attraction reviews
“Excellent, safe, great for kids and adults”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Rafting class2-3 on sarapiqui river doesn't knock you out of the boat, but it was a perfect into to our 7and 9 yr olds.
They thought it was a bit boring...adrenaline junkies, i'm afraid.

Visited March 2012