“perfect and convenient” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Cacique

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Hotel El Cacique
Save Saved
You added Hotel El Cacique to your Saves list
Detras del Monumento al Agricultor | El Cacique, Alajuela 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 52 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Halifax, Canada
“perfect and convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

When I first arrived in Costa Rica I was by myself and had not booked anything for the first night so I was basically winging it. I walked out of the front of the airport and asked the first guy I saw where a good cheap place to stay would be that I could get to easily. He told me about hotel cacique and offered to drive me there for 1000 colones (2 dollars). I am glad I got the drive because I would have been lost but now I know that it is essentially across the street, so I always walk now. Johnny and Ringo(the dog) welcomed me with a smile and a tail wag and I instantly felt at ease in a country I knew nothing about. The room were much nicer then I expected and johnny was very helpful with what busses I should take and where I could eat. You get what you pay for, a very close place to stay, I nice clean room, a private bathroom, and cable TV for the night. I have been back to costa rica several times and Hotel Cacique is always where I go when I am coming or going. Kick back and enjoy the pura vida that hotel cacique and costa rica provides you!! Can't wait to be back!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We travel to CR at least once a year, sometimes 2-3 and whenever we have an early flight to catch or we get in late, this is the spot we choose to stay. If you're willing to cross the highway at 5 AM you can literally walk across the street to the airport.. soooo convenient its awesome. We've done it many times and always super glad we're so close.
The owner Johnny is such a nice and warm hearted person, he makes the experience that much more great. Last time we were there we got in around 11 PM or so and headed straight there.. we had a rental car and he even moved his car out of the gated carport so we could park our rental in a locked area. That made the decision real easy for us! We were then blown away again by his extremely nice father who sat up with us all night telling stories and assisting us with our poor spanish in his broken English.. what a great evening.

Always a great experience every time I stay. The proximity to the airport and the truly friendly atmosphere make it a no brainer!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Treasure Island, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

In all fairness we didn't stay. We arrived at the hotel late at night. I have been in some rough areas before but this looked bad. When we pulled up it was on some dark side street with no lights at all. It was steel bars and steel mesh grating with what looked like somebody spray painted hotel over top. I looked at the cab driver and said keep moving. I was not comfortable at all.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Johnny, the owner, is super chill and laid back and a great host at El Cacique. It's a small hostel-style hotel, but perfect for the after/before airport visit. I felt safer here than I did at the second hotel we stayed at in Alajuela (we did El Cacique arriving and Alajuela Backpackers departing). We wished we'd stayed at El Cacique instead. Johnny was super helpful and gave us great advice. It can be a little noisy since you're super close to the airport, so if you're a light sleeper you may want ear plugs--that and the birds get very excited about morning. But if you're trying to keep your trip economical, I think you'll be pleased.

Room Tip: Book one with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Punta Uva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Perfect for me, and my family...What do you want when you have a stayover in San Jose for a flight? Clean, safe, affordable place, and easy to get to and from the airport... why share a bathroom or pay close or more than 4100 for what you need....Well, El Cacique is all of those, plus John is very helpful and will go out of his way to meet your needs, plus he is a certified guide in Costa Rica...The bathrooms are perfectly clean and new, the TV as well, and the internet was fast and easy to use from my room. My wife and kids have stayed here without me as well and we just love John and his hotel and know that other people we've met here and at the hotel feel the same way. Just booked a room for my wife who is travelling alone and needs an airport hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Very nice and respectable family run business. Safe and secure, comfortable and clean...Although it's very close to the airport I slept like a baby with my fan on, the planes stop running at night anyway. There was also a computer available with internet.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel El Cacique? Share your experiences!