“Small B&B style, nice, clean & safe. Only 2km from airport yet never heard any noise. Airport shuttle, WiFi & more.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Airport Hotel Berlor

You added Airport Hotel Berlor to your Saves list
Airport Hotel Berlor
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 km east from Juan Santamaria | International Airport, Alajuela 251-3009, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

A terrific B&B-style small hotel near the airport. Solo female traveler felt safe, secure, and comfortable. Being only 2km from the airport (approx 5 minutes drive via their shuttle van), my friend was worried that there might be lots of airplane noise -- but no, it was fine. Don't think I even heard a single plane. I was extremely happy to spend my final night in Costa Rica at this hotel. The people were very kind and helpful, both when dealing with my boyfriend in Spanish and myself in English. They went out of their way to help me even before I had arrived there. I got off my bus to San Jose at the airport, phoned them, and they sent their shuttle van to collect me. They also shuttled me back to the airport the next morning. Excellent service from start to finish. Most of the rooms were full that night but I couldn't hear much noise from other guests, and I slept well.

The rooms were very small and clean with a comfortable bed and crisp clean sheets, TV, A/C, WiFi access, a small en suite bathroom with a slide-across, closet-style door and a hot shower. They offer a wake-up call and breakfast is included, as was a 10 minute international phone call. I had a cup of tea at night in the small lounge/bar-type area up front. Food menu looked decent, and prices seemed to be fair. The manager was very nice and pleasant to chat with.

There is parking out front in a small driveway area with modern security gates, and a back yard with a pool -- a decent area to relax. (I don't think the reviewer that stayed here a few weeks ago could possible have been right in the head, because there were no weeds to be seen and it was nice. Either that, or the hotel did a lot of fix-ups in the weeks between his lame review and my arrival time. Also, nobody tried to convince me to spend more money, their exchange rate for me was fair, and my free rides to and from the airport were right on schedule.)

The surrounding streets and area are fairly industrial, not somewhere for lovely walks in the park or a shopping promenade, but after all, it is an airport hotel, not a vacation destination. There are numerous car rental/return places just up the street, and although I did not leave the hotel, they told me of a few restaurants and a casino just a few minutes drive away. They said it was not the best walk, but they often shuttle people there or can arrange for a taxi, whichever is preferred. As I said, excellent service and no communication problems at all. Very nice people with a nice little hotel.

They were also just about to open a hostel nearby, also very close to the airport, aimed towards the more budget conscious travelers. Maybe they will have a link for it on their website soon?

This hotel would be a good choice for business trips, groups of friends, couples or solo travelers, or anyone else looking to spend their first or last night near the airport. At approx $50-60 for my night there, it was a much better option than the nearby large hotels such as Best Western, most of which were listed at more than double or triple the cost.

Sooooo much better than the 25 minute taxi or shuttle into San Jose, and the lousy, dirty, over-priced hostel from the night I arrived two weeks earlier. If only I'd known of the Berlor Hotel or their hostel before I flew into town to start my trip -- it would have been a much more pleasant way to begin my vacation, and it was a nice way to finish it.

I would definitely go back there again, and have already recommended it to a friend.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Hotel-Rio S, Gerente at Airport Hotel Berlor, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
All staff is grateful

Thanks for taking such beautiful words to our service, remember that you have friends in Costa Rica,

back soon

Bernal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
U.S.A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

On the one hand ... the Hotel Berlor is close to the airport. If you are catching a flight out of San Jose before noon, you should probably stay near the airport the preceding night since city traffic is gridlocked, signs are few, and it would be easy to miss your flight. The Hotel Berlor is a few miles from the airport with free shuttle service and a pleasant desk manager. It is comparatively inexpensive compared to other hotels near the airport. The morning breakfast was fresh and made to order and served in a tiny room off the lobby. On the other hand ... the hotel is on a street under construction with immense potholes and the neighborhood is unsavory. If you wanted to walk somewhere, you could not. The rooms are cramped and though they are clean, they look like they might be dirty. The bathroom is miniscule. There is a pool in a backyard overgrown with weeds and it is clear why nobody was swimming or sunning themselves. The lobby seems old and fusty. If you could not find a room elsewhere, the Hotel Berlor is acceptable, but another hotel would be preferable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Dear guest

On behalf of our team, I thank you for your comments, I am pleased to confirm the following changes thanks to the feedback we receive from our valued guests, the completed road construction in the neighborhood and now we have security cameras in todad route as well as with tourist police, an important aspect is that the sidewalks are built and can take a walk with confidence, to date we have more spacious and comfortable rooms in turn have changed counting beds in some rooms Queem beds, while we have made special training to our staff, no doubt your comments made ​​us grow.

hapbeach40
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Small B&B type of place. Where there in April 2010 and paid $79 US for two of us. NOT bad compared to the $190 and $250 quoted at Hampton Inn and Holliday Inn Express that are one block away. Fillet Mignon dinner for $10.00us, free internet, tv with us channels, free 10min international call, pool and hot homemade breakfast included in price (and shuttle to airport) . We had no problem with money or exchange. Found owners to be hard working nice family just trying to make it. Highly recommend for a night or two. Room was small but clean and got a good nights sleep (quiet and good mattrace). Not a five star but the hospitality was fabulous!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dear Hapbeach

I want to thank you have taken a few minutes of your valuable time to remember their experience in our beautiful country, I want to thank you for recalling specific details on the quality of the meal and the service, and its recommendation be specified for one or two nights with us, constantly try to enable us to improve our customer service and to exceed the expectations ... at the best possible price.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Hotel Berlor has location going for it, free wi-fi and a friendly manager. Other than that it is very basic - if you're into no-frills travel and need a roof over your head, go for it; other travellers may want to pay another $30 or so to stay at the Holiday Inn, because the Berlor is not that much cheaper.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
berlorair, Gerente at Airport Hotel Berlor, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Guest greatly appreciate your comments, opinion allows us to grow and improve, in fact our budget hotel and try to make both their first night as the last are the most economical and feasible near the airport, compared with hotels like the one you mentioned the difference in rate is almost 90 dollars. However, the quality price ratio remains a challenge and so we give value to all our guests. appreciate your comment and continue to provide to date a value-added hosting and budget for all travelers who can not afford hotels chain rates between 100 and 200 dollars more. Gutierrez Bernal manager
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

Overall the place is pretty good, the bar in Brand New and the Pool is freezing cold, the rooms were a little small but very nice and clean. Great TV with english channels and A/C, with real hot water and pressure. I will be back someday.

On the other hand, the American that ownes the place tries to rip off his guests by offering a bogus exchange rate of 600:1 in order to make up for his expense to exchange the currency into dollars, dont fall for this scam. Pay the proper exchange rate for the price of the room, everything in Costa Rica is negotiable.

Also arrange for a taxi to take you to and from the airport, dont rely on the guy at the front desk, he is a nice guy, but has no concept of time and you will miss your flight waiting on him.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I want to thank you have taken a few minutes of your valuable time to remember their experience in our beautiful country, I want to thank you for recalling specific details on the quality of the service, and its recommendation be specified for one or two nights with us, constantly trying to train us to improve our customer service and to exceed the expectations ... at the best possible price, with respect to the exchange rate, which is free, try to stay out of wanting to win, we understand your concern and therefore we prefer to pay with dollars and avoid the exchange rate, as this constantly and ends fluctuates affecting either.
hzhu
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

The location and cleanness of this airport hotel are alright and they seem to “try to” provide decent service. The uncomfortable thing is that I constantly felt they try too hard to milk a few extra bucks off me. I understand every business is there to make profit but this one is a bit too much and the way they did it put bad taste in my mouth.
I stayed there twice --- once arrival and once departure from San Jose airport.

The first time we agreed on a US$ amount before my arrival. When I arrived they wanted to charge me in local currency with a conversion rate they decided. Even tho I got online right there and showed them Yahoo's real-time conversion rate, they insisted to use theirs. And they wouldn't let me pay cash in the agreed US$ amount! So my final price was about 8% more than the agreed price. Sure, not a big deal; but just felt cheated. (later on I found out even the San Jose airport’s exchange rate is better than Berlor’s)

The 2nd time I reserved the same room I stayed the first time for myself and a friend. My mistake of not stating clearly that there are two people this time. When we arrived, they asked to double the price. I understand they feel inclined to charge more because of the extra person and I would have been fine if they increase by 25% or something in that range---after all, it’s still the same tiny room! But I was shocked they insisted to double the price!
And they said if I choose to walk away, my credit card will still be charged. Oh well… they sure know how to force the issue! I ended up paying the double price while they “upgraded” me to a slightly bigger room.

Oh, one more thing….overall this hotel is very small and each room is very small too. Not that anyone tries to be annoying but because of the smallness of this hotel, you can hear the front desk quite laud from the two rooms I stayed. I can imagine the rest of the rooms are not that much better. And since they are on duty starting 5:30AM, it was laud in the mornings.

I definitely will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
berlorair, Propietario at Airport Hotel Berlor, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Dear Visitor of this comment:

Mrs. author of this criticism, he obtained a special rate (50% discount) of the season by being a student of a recognized language school, which has the rule book directly to each student. as recognized was designated a small room, individual and agreed to its own fee level (super economic and individual).

With respect to the exchange rate of U.S. dollar, the change is from bands and goes from one price to another, but always within the band may even be up to 10 colones per dollar difference.

We should clarify that the rates are always given in dollars and these are affected at the time of arrival if guests choose to pay in colones, the exchange rate differential may be even lower.

With regard to its decision to pay is important to note that cash rates are always lower than those paid by other means.

It is important to note that in his second arrival at the hotel the lady wanted to infiltrate a person. However, in his book the following happened.

1 - Do not place your reservation Through the language school, but was given the special rate, as she so requested.

2-She never said she would arrive with another person.

3 - She did not want to pay the fare difference which was obviously higher, and that no individual student or applied as a special rate.

We know they will stay somewhere else, because our regular rates not because our good service.

Our desire for service will remain unchanged is our nature to help.
Alajuela, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

The Berlor Hotel was excellent... service, cleanliness, value and location...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
thank you very much, appreciate the comments we make progress and try to mantain a high expectation of service

Bernal

Been to Airport Hotel Berlor? Share your experiences!