“Nice intro to Costa Rica” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Airport Hotel Berlor

You added Airport Hotel Berlor to your Saves list
Airport Hotel Berlor
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 km east from Juan Santamaria | International Airport, Alajuela 251-3009, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice intro to Costa Rica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

If you are the kind of traveler who likes to experience "local atmosphere" then you'd like this place. It's more like a bed and breakfast and you feel like you're staying at someone's big home. The beds were big and comfortable for our family of 4 (kids 11 & 14) - we had a king and two doubles, which you can't get at a typical chain hotel for a low rate. The staff were helpful and friendly, the place was clean, good air con, and the breakfast was simple and decent. It's good for an overnight stay (it was our first night in Costa Rica after long day of travel) and it's close to the airport (but since it's close to airport, planes started to pass by early in the morning, and literally the building shook. However, that's what you'd expect if you want to stay close to the airport!). Free WIFI and 10 mins free international call were nice touches. The "backyard" area was nice to sit and have our coffee in the morning, although the small pool was not very inviting. We walked about a block to a local fried chicken place the staff recommended for dinner and the food was cheap and delicious. It's a family run place and the father spoke enough English for us to order. We didn't feel that the area was unsafe...it just looks like a typical local road in a tropical country - not well lit, no real sidewalk, bumpy road.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
berlorair, Gerente at Airport Hotel Berlor, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Good Morning I remember your kind visit, I hope you continue enjoying memories of Costa Rica, I appreciate your comments and very pleased to inform you that the road and sidewalks are about to be completed, so that your future visit or your friends will not have drawbacks. About noise from aircraft, we are seeking more advisable option to mitigate this noise through the seiling, so we hope to minimize the noise during the next season. Once again thank for taken a few minutes to send us your comments, I will make it known to our staff. Gutierrez Bernal manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Murphy, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This boutique hotel is very close to the airport and has a shuttle service. The staff at this hotel was the friendliest, most helpful I have ever experienced on any trip. Amanda and Adolfo called several different places to help us rent a car when I realized that I had reserved one for the wrong date. They also gave us there card and urged us to call them if we needed anything during our travels around Costa Rica. We are staying there the night before our return to the US and we truly look forward to the stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
berlorair, Gerente at Airport Hotel Berlor, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Guest I have to thank you all the nice comments about your visit, we hope you come back soon

Bernal Gutierrez
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

A small place with only a few rooms, currently on a busy road with construction. Clean room, friendly staff. I booked a single and got a very small room that has a shower and toilet tucked into one corner of the room, and a TV in another corner. There is a beautiful inner courtyard with a small pool. The entrance is gated. You park outside and press and entrance buzzer. The gate will open and you can park in a small gated parking lot at the front. It would have been helpful to have a small table bedside to put my clock on, and a reading light over the bed, but I found it to be charming and safe and close to the airport - just what I needed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Gerente at Airport Hotel Berlor, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Guest

On behalf of the team at our hotel I want to thank you for taking a few minutes to make his detailed criticism. We noticed that despite the detail in the size of the room, you have honored us with a very constructive comment, which will take into account to make appropriate improvements. I see that I do not overlook the excellent service of our employees as well as convenient location. Dear guest, we're here on your next visit we will give special attention to upgrade in the size of your room, and so improve your first experience with us. thank, let us know in advance your visit. With affection, Gutierrez Bernal manager
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We asked our tour company for a hotel where our shuttle bus would drop us off. They offered us Hotel Berlor. Most of the reviews seemed OK but I have to agree with twosteptweetie that this place was creepy. It is not in a good neighborhood and you are locked in behind iron gates. The rooms were small and clean. There are no restaurants within walking distance but reception did find point us to a wonderful coffee shop for lunch about a block away that served wonderful desserts and coffee. There was street construction going on making it hard to get in or out of the hotel. We were the only ones staying there but the reception staff did not want to be bothered with us. She was not friendly and acted like it was a burden to answer any of our questions. We were shocked to find out when we came for dinner that there would be no dinner. She offered no explanation. She gave us a pizza menu and told us to order. It was the worst pizza I have ever eaten but at least it was something. There was breakfast in the morning which was either cereal or the Tico breakfast which I love. The woman who cooked our breakfast did not speak any English but she was very helpful and did a great job. We managed to communicate with the small amount of Spanish we know. The shuttle to the airport did arrive on time and he did an outstanding job of weaving around on the back roads to avoid most of the construction and got us to airport on time! I would defintely not recommend this place to anyone!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
berlorair, Gerente at Airport Hotel Berlor, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear friend and guest of Hotel Berlor
I want to thank you for your criticism which has become a real challenge for my management
. A few months ago we faced the construction of national highway number 3, which has been a real inconvenience for both residents of Rio Segundo and our esteemed visitors. hopefully in a few weeks the project is completed and we enjoy an extraordinary route on your next visit to Costa Rica.
About the attitude of our partner in front desk, we have noted and followed up close and proceeded to re-train them and checking their availability for future guests.
I realize that the day you stayed we us corresponded to the closing day of the dinner service schedule, we have arranged alternative cook to avoid a new problem.
I see that perceived attention on certain details such as finding an alternate site for lunch and coffee and a free airport shuttle appropriate to your needs, which I appreciate you mentioned despite its drawbacks. In order to make action on our words, I suggest you contact me in your next visit to Costa Rica to give you a courtesy in your stay and can verify that your comments are valued and taken into account by our hotel.
Once again I offer my apologies and I hope to see soom

Sincerely, Gutierrez Bernal manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

This place is wonderful. I highly recommend it. Food is great, and if you'd like to be treated the way you deserve and be remembered please do not hesitate and definately consider staying at Berlor Hotel. Greatest, funnest experience and vacation ever. Make it yours also.

• Stayed February 2012
, Gerente at Airport Hotel Berlor, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Mrs Hannabella

I remember as a very demanding customer and concerned about good food,
your experience as a good taster of gourmet food, gives a special enhancement to your opinion

On your next visit contact us and we will dwell a courtesy to our dinner service.

Thanks again for taking a few minutes for your comment

Gutierrez Bernal manager
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

BERLOR AIRPORT HOTEL - SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA

We arrived here unexpectedly for our one night stay before being picked up by the private CPI language immersion school’s van which was to take us to Flamingo Beach the following day. According to the CPI brochure, we were scheduled to spend the night at the Dehest Hotel, purportedly a B & B, somewhere not far from the school’s Heredia campus. But it was late in the evening and the airport taxi driver dropped us off in front of this dimly lit, wrought-iron gated place, where we stood like orphans with our bags, waiting for the headmaster to come to fetch us and too tired to argue. It turned out that we were at the Berlor Airport Hotel.

We crossed a rather large entrance lawn, climbed a couple of steps, and entered the lobby. It was small and dimly lit. There was a couch and a chair and an oval coffee table to our right. To our left, we caught a glimpse of what we assumed to be the hotel bar, with a solitary customer sitting at one of the two-chair bistro tables. There was very little noise anywhere. The desk clerk was conversing in Spanish with a guest who was trying to check in, and so we waited. Eventually, that man picked up his bags and disappeared with the desk clerk through another set of glass doors into a dark hallway, which lit up some as the two men walked past a motion detector that apparently controlled the lighting in the hallways.

There was some difficulty finding our reservation, but it was finally worked out and we were led through those same doors to our room (#6). If the room measured as much as 10’ x 10’, I’d be surprised. There was one queen size bed and a small dresser along one wall. In one corner of the room opposite the bed was a small table with a lamp. I don’t recall seeing a closet or a free-standing wardrobe in the room. A flat screen TV (small) was mounted on the wall in the opposite corner. You could see cables and wires disappearing up a too-big hole in the ceiling above it. There was some kind of overhead light fixture as well, but between it and the lamp, even using both at the same time, there still wasn’t enough light to read anything. The bathroom door was a collapsible screen. There was a toilet and a sink and a shower stall. The shower was useless because no more than a single thin stream of drizzle ever came out of the shower head no matter how hard you turned the water on. One could not put used toilet paper down the toilet; rather a sign instructed you to place it in the trash can alongside.
There was a small round mirror on the wall over the sink, but again, too little light to make use of it for shaving or putting on make-up.

I decided to go back up to the front desk and find out what this tiny space rented for nightly. As my movement made the hall light go on, I couldn’t help but notice a curved, brown, 3-4” long organic looking something lying on the carpet near the wall. I didn’t stop to investigate. I eventually found out that this room went for $68 USD per night. I should mention that the next morning I did see through doors left open for room cleaning, that the Berlor does have larger rooms than our cubbyhole, some with as many as three queen beds in them. I wondered if any of their “great” rooms actually looked like the one pictured in their little brochure (and even that one shows the bedside lamp with shade askew!).

In fairness, the hotel does provide 10 minutes per room of free phone calls to the US, Puerto Rico, and Canada as a perk; however, the phone to use for those calls is located out in the open in the lobby. They advertise a free internet booth and free wi-fi internet. I never saw the former and the wi-fi, I think, is available if you’re sitting on the couch in the lobby. Their tour desk appeared to be a bunch of activity brochures scattered about on a table in the lobby, and then you’re on your own. A breakfast was included in the bar/dining room in the morning. There were two choices of cold cereal, orange juice, fresh sliced fruit, white bread or white bread toasted, and eggs. The young lady who also served as daytime desk clerk was there to hand you a bowl for your cereal, pour your juice, toast your bread, and fix your eggs. None of the three hotel employees we met spoke much English to speak of.

The Berlor did have “green spaces” (i.e. some lawn area in the back, with two small tables and a couple of chairs), and a small, small pool to maybe dip into in lieu of the shower you would have taken had there been any water available for that in your room.

The Berlor boasts that it’s located only 4 minutes from the airport, and that’s probably true. However, I would spend an extra $20 USD and an extra 6 minutes in airport transit to stay somewhere else, like the Adventure-Inn, for example.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
We welcome all constructive comments to enable us to recognize our mistakes and thus overcome.
Last May, you and your wife arrived at our hotel at about 11pm, your transfer was in charge of CPI Language School, and your book was coordinated for only one person from CPI
While personally coordinated the search for your reservation, other students from the school began to arrive, all very lively in trying to speak Spanish, to which please you choose during check-in. At the time it was impossible to find a reservation for two. I asked your wife's name in order to determine whether the reserve would be in her name, minutes after we got the reserve which was actually the name of the lady.
Much to our regret, you had to wait about 15 minutes to complete your check in, while the reservation was located, but the process was expedited and also in English language. I understand your annoyance with us to speak in Spanish with other students
Importantly, you are directed to a shelter in the CPI and that last minute was transferred to our hotel by circumstances of the school, we do not know the package features accommodations at CPI Language School, however the rate charged was $ 40 to which I add $ 10, because their reservation was only for one person, we understand that small pike room. But at the time of arrival
the CPI bus retired and this school does not have night time schedule, I agree that hosting your expectation does not match what we offer so we made the observations for CPI school for better accuracy in its reserves .
Regard to water and access road, you actually came in the most critical moment of this infrastructure work, which included the aqueduct, that very day worked during the night to supposedly cause less discomfort, but the work of great scale for the community, is about to end and we are sure that in your next visit to> Costa Rica totravel through a first-world road work.

Thanks for talking about our energy saving system, which makes our bulbs take two minutes to get to their intensity as well as our noise control and on-aisle, just with the presence of guests. But verify that our process to erase the carbon footprint is not causing unnecessary inconvenience to our customers.

I thank you on your next visit to assist you contact me personally, and so do an up-grade to one of our largest rooms, which you rightly mentioned, we have taken note of the suggestions in language use in receiving and reserve management of the school, which is independent of our hotel, but also we feel responsible for their disagreements.
I remind you that in your comment did not mention the account to pay, to left pending in the hotel bar, but consider it a courtesy on our part because of the many annoyances that unusually accumulated during your stay

Gutierrez Bernal
Night Manager
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

First let me say that the staff was excellent and very accommodating. Rooms are small, but clean and it was the perfect stay for our early morning flight departure and our late night arrival. They have shuttle service and offer very nice dinner options at their restaurant or offer a place to order pizza/pasta. We opted for the dinner which was good. This is not a 4-star hotel, but it is an excellent price and perfect for the quick overnight stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Gerente at Airport Hotel Berlor, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Guest / Cajules 67

The team of our hotel staff remember your visit and welcomes your comments regarding our service excellence, with love and dedication we hope to serve you again, on your next visit to Costa Rica. your recommendation, taking into account who has made five contributions in this way to tripadvisor is particularly important and requires us to overcome our service.
Thanks once again, and remember to recommend us to your friends and relatives in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Bernal Gutierrez
Manager

Been to Airport Hotel Berlor? Share your experiences!