I actually planned to spend just one night in this hostel because I wanted to avoid San José after a long and exhausting bus trip back from Panama. Then I discovered how close Alajuela is to Volcán Poás which is definitely worth visiting. Cortez Azul is run by Eduardo who is much into art. The whole place looks like a gallery. The host is very helpful. He showed me two colorfully painted rooms: The first one was very nice, but windowless; the one I chose was brighter but quite basic. It had a queen size bed with a slightly damaged loft bed above it. There was no wardrobe, chair, table etc. in the room and the bathroom was functional but tiny. What bothered me was that the window (a small one almost touching the ceiling) had ben broken and at the time of my stay the missing window pane had not yet been replaced. I could therefore hear every single word people spoke in the open air kitchen and in the garden. The hostel has no free WiFi, but if you are lucky enough to reach one of the neighbours' unlocked one, you can use your computer in the front of the house. The best about Cortez Azul is the kitchen on the back patio and the little garden with tables and chairs where you can prepare your breakfast (coffee is free) or just sit and meet other travellers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- To fly in and out of Costa Rica for convenience may need to stay near an airport and the Juan Santamaria in Alajuela. The hotel is conveniently located Cortez Azul near the most important airport in Costa Rica. Alajuela is located only 2 km away and about 5 minutes from airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, HostelBookers, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel Cortez Azul reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cortez Azul Hotel Alajuela
- Hotel Cortez Azul Costa Rica/Alajuela