“Scariest hotel experience ever.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Internacional JM

Hotel Internacional JM
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Hotel Internacional JM
You added Hotel Internacional JM to your Saves list
Ave 8, Calle 2 y 4, Alajuela, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Scariest hotel experience ever.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Total scam. Taxi driver lied and told me my hostel was full, took me to this hotel we he got a cut. There were BED BUGS GALORE, the toilet was in my room, and the smell of cigarettes was deadly even for a smoker. The walls resembled that of a horror movie, and there was definitely a couple of working girls in the hotel. I immediately found a new hotel online within 20 minutes of being there but they refused to refund my money- it probably happens a lot because the receptionist simply pointed to a sign when I asked. It was the end of my trip and money was tight, but I used the last of what I had to check into the holiday inn because this place was so terrible. Save yourself. You're better off sleeping under a bridge near the airport.

Room Tip: I know it's really American, but if you want a good night's rest before flying back home, th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel maybe 3 or 4 times now and I have found no problems with it at all. It is always clean, they have TV's in each room and the hot water attachment for the bathroom and also a window air conditioner. The price I paid was 35$ for double occupancy or $25 for single occupancy. The staff was really great each time they were friendly and helped me figure out any problems I had. On one occasion all of the single rooms were filled and I was given a double room at the price of a single, which I think is really good. They didn't have to do that for me but they did. I really appreciated it.

Pros: Good value for money, friendly helpful english speaking staff
Cons: Rooms are a bit squishy, not much room to stand or walk around, super old computers...but hey it's free. lol. backpackers can't complain!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Never stay at this place. I wouldn´t stay if I were paid! Cockroaches, stains on the sheets, old mattresses that smell bad, bugs of all kinds (because they leave the doors of the rooms open when they are not being used). Worst of all, the staff is incredibly rude. One of the workers started threatening me when we asked for our money back; my girlfriend started crying. We actually had to call the police!!! Never, ever go here. And tell your friends - no one should have to go through this.

If you're looking for a cheap place to stay, there are a couple of other hotels around the area that I'd recommend. Alajuela Backpacker's was about $10 more but infinitely better. Then again, after the nightmare experience we had at Hotel Internacional, just about anything would've been better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Linz, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

The room I had was a very bad joke - everything was dirty, I need to go in shoes everywhere including bathroom. This was the only time in my life I was really afraid to touch anything. My friends had a little better rooms than I had, but it is no excuse.

On the other hand, classic Costa Rican breakfast was good, wi-fi connection nice surprise. Unfortunately a tragic level of cleanness killed it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

We ended up here when told the taxi driver that we needed a inexpensive hotel next to the airport. Upon arriving we were lucky enough to meet friendly English speaking staff that were willing to offer us a great deal on the evening in our situation (girlfriends bag got stolen with money). The rooms are small or cozy hostel/ bachelor style rooms- some having 1/2 beds and some bunk beds. And most rooms come with AC and/or a fan, plus cable tv,free wifi, and free gallo pinto con huevo in the morning (traditional home style CR breakfast) with fresh fruit. This is walking distance from KFC, Taco Bell, Mcdonalds, a couple small bars with music, a grocery store (buy your Pilsens here for 500c) and literally (if you got the energy) walking distance to SJO airport. I later learned that if you call the hotel they will arrange for a free ride from the airport to the hotel too (usually $2-5 taxi ride).

Mind you , yes, its in the middle of Alujualah its busy around there. And yes, this isnt a 5 Star $400 a night hotel (which now , even in central america you have tons to pick from) - but for those traveling on a budget that would like to have a safe, friendly hotel to stay at , I would recommend this one. We even came back here again after we finished our trip from Quepos / Manuel Antonio and decided to stay here for our last night in town as well.

Pros - Affordable, Safe , friendly staff, free airport pickup, free breakfast
Cons- Small showers/ bathrooms in room, weird hot water shower head that barely works (like most affordable hotels in CR), Yes the sheets are old school lol - but i never witnessed them dirty or "with finger nails and hair"...

Ill be back here probably because of the affordable price, how close it is to the airport

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Seriously, staying here is not advisable. We were brought here by a taxi driver that was paid a commission for bringing us there. We checked in and immediately checked out, losing $50 in the process but it was well worth the loss not to sleep there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Not much to say about this shabby hotel. it was "conveniently located near the airport", and that was it.
The sheets had obviously not been changed since the last "guest" left: I checked the bed and found a piece of nail, which badly reminded me of some famous horror movie, and a few hairs dotted around the sheets. Nice. That's when you're happy to have brought with you that all-purpose sarong from India, which in that case, I used as a pillow cover.
When I complained to the receptionist about the sheets, he said they had been changed. Difficult to believe.

Apart from that, the hotel had free wi-fi (no password needed) and 3 outdated computers with Internet connection for free.
Like said in another review, a taxi dirver took me there and probably got a commission for it. I wouldn't have minded paying 15$ for spending a night there, but 30$ was way too much for a hotel of that kind of standard. Mind you, I didn't spot any cockroaches in the room, which was also bedbug-free apparently. Phew....

You can find a better place for 30$ a night and I know i would not go there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Internacional JM? Share your experiences!