“Excellent for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Internacional JM

Hotel Internacional JM
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Hotel Internacional JM
Ave 8, Calle 2 y 4, Alajuela, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #28 of 29 hotels in Alajuela
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
“Excellent for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel maybe 3 or 4 times now and I have found no problems with it at all. It is always clean, they have TV's in each room and the hot water attachment for the bathroom and also a window air conditioner. The price I paid was 35$ for double occupancy or $25 for single occupancy. The staff was really great each time they were friendly and helped me figure out any problems I had. On one occasion all of the single rooms were filled and I was given a double room at the price of a single, which I think is really good. They didn't have to do that for me but they did. I really appreciated it.

Pros: Good value for money, friendly helpful english speaking staff
Cons: Rooms are a bit squishy, not much room to stand or walk around, super old computers...but hey it's free. lol. backpackers can't complain!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Never stay at this place. I wouldn´t stay if I were paid! Cockroaches, stains on the sheets, old mattresses that smell bad, bugs of all kinds (because they leave the doors of the rooms open when they are not being used). Worst of all, the staff is incredibly rude. One of the workers started threatening me when we asked for our money back; my girlfriend started crying. We actually had to call the police!!! Never, ever go here. And tell your friends - no one should have to go through this.

If you're looking for a cheap place to stay, there are a couple of other hotels around the area that I'd recommend. Alajuela Backpacker's was about $10 more but infinitely better. Then again, after the nightmare experience we had at Hotel Internacional, just about anything would've been better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

The room I had was a very bad joke - everything was dirty, I need to go in shoes everywhere including bathroom. This was the only time in my life I was really afraid to touch anything. My friends had a little better rooms than I had, but it is no excuse.

On the other hand, classic Costa Rican breakfast was good, wi-fi connection nice surprise. Unfortunately a tragic level of cleanness killed it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

We ended up here when told the taxi driver that we needed a inexpensive hotel next to the airport. Upon arriving we were lucky enough to meet friendly English speaking staff that were willing to offer us a great deal on the evening in our situation (girlfriends bag got stolen with money). The rooms are small or cozy hostel/ bachelor style rooms- some having 1/2 beds and some bunk beds. And most rooms come with AC and/or a fan, plus cable tv,free wifi, and free gallo pinto con huevo in the morning (traditional home style CR breakfast) with fresh fruit. This is walking distance from KFC, Taco Bell, Mcdonalds, a couple small bars with music, a grocery store (buy your Pilsens here for 500c) and literally (if you got the energy) walking distance to SJO airport. I later learned that if you call the hotel they will arrange for a free ride from the airport to the hotel too (usually $2-5 taxi ride).

Mind you , yes, its in the middle of Alujualah its busy around there. And yes, this isnt a 5 Star $400 a night hotel (which now , even in central america you have tons to pick from) - but for those traveling on a budget that would like to have a safe, friendly hotel to stay at , I would recommend this one. We even came back here again after we finished our trip from Quepos / Manuel Antonio and decided to stay here for our last night in town as well.

Pros - Affordable, Safe , friendly staff, free airport pickup, free breakfast
Cons- Small showers/ bathrooms in room, weird hot water shower head that barely works (like most affordable hotels in CR), Yes the sheets are old school lol - but i never witnessed them dirty or "with finger nails and hair"...

Ill be back here probably because of the affordable price, how close it is to the airport

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Seriously, staying here is not advisable. We were brought here by a taxi driver that was paid a commission for bringing us there. We checked in and immediately checked out, losing $50 in the process but it was well worth the loss not to sleep there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Not much to say about this shabby hotel. it was "conveniently located near the airport", and that was it.
The sheets had obviously not been changed since the last "guest" left: I checked the bed and found a piece of nail, which badly reminded me of some famous horror movie, and a few hairs dotted around the sheets. Nice. That's when you're happy to have brought with you that all-purpose sarong from India, which in that case, I used as a pillow cover.
When I complained to the receptionist about the sheets, he said they had been changed. Difficult to believe.

Apart from that, the hotel had free wi-fi (no password needed) and 3 outdated computers with Internet connection for free.
Like said in another review, a taxi dirver took me there and probably got a commission for it. I wouldn't have minded paying 15$ for spending a night there, but 30$ was way too much for a hotel of that kind of standard. Mind you, I didn't spot any cockroaches in the room, which was also bedbug-free apparently. Phew....

You can find a better place for 30$ a night and I know i would not go there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

I got off the Caribe Bus Terminal and was swarmed with "cab" drivers. I was intent on staying at another hotel and was told that since on Sept. 15 it was independance day all the roads would be closed and i would be too far away from the airport. So they recommended this place for my max $30 recommendation. It was in Alajuela which is 5 min from the airport, so I chanced getting scammed for the assurance that I would make my flight. Once cabbie who came in after me asked for his commission upfront, right in front of me. I had an ok stay except that the lady that was at the reception desk had no idea how to enter the 30 dollars into debit machine. she wound up charging me C167,000.000 ($360!US) I realized this after an hour of shopping...So i went back and had to explain to her that it was wrong, she denied it. I had a cabbie confirm it was wrong and showed her other receipts i had. What a mess. So she says she was going to enter it again, she winds up charging me again this time at a lower rate she says of C157,000.000 ($300!!) I'm like i need refund slips and refused to sign the last one. I had to get back there and show her how to refund the transaction. One was refundable the other one was not -- so i have to dispute that one with my credit card company...fun. There were two computers and wifi available free. The water was tepid. They had TV and I believe that breakfast was included, but I was leaving at 4 am so I missed it. A bonus was that it was close to the Mall Internacional, like a 7 min walk and the streets seemed a bit safer than Barrio Amon in San Jose...i.e. didn't see any street sleepers. It had air conditioning and a balcony. An ok place, but not worth the hassle to pay with a credit card. Be careful with the transactions folks!

• Liked — air conditioning, tv, clean!
  • Disliked — check in credit card nightmare.
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Internacional JM? Share your experiences!