“Best bed and breakfast in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alegria Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Alegria Bed and Breakfast
You added Alegria Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Pueblo Nuevo de Alajuela, Residential Alajuela, segundo entrada, 200 metro norte, Alajuela, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 53 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Maple Ridge District Municipality, British Columbia, Canada
“Best bed and breakfast in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I am able to highly recommend Alegria bed and breakfast as being a comfortable and convenient place to stay when visiting Costa Rica. It is close the airport for arrivals and early flights out. George is an amazing host who will make you feel at home right away. And he prepares "hands down" the best breakfasts to start your day. The rooms are very nice and the atmosphere is relaxing. George is willing and able to offer travel advise, share stories, and arrange transportation as needed. We spent 2 weeks in the country and used Alegria as our home base.
Thanks George, until next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
East Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This place is great, and although the house is beautiful and comfortable, it's George that really makes the experience stand out. I won't even consider staying anywhere else in Alajuela from now on. I've never had a B&B host that opened up their home to guests the way George does and he does it in a way that makes you totally comfortable. My daughter and I only stayed one night, but by the time we left the next day it was like we'd known him for ages. And he is a great cook - breakfast was wonderful. I would give this place 6's if I could.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Alegria feels like a true bnb...it's a large house in Alajuela. There is a pretty front porch and a big living room to hang out in. The kitchen is for everyone to use. The guest rooms are clustered together on one side of the house. We stayed in Las Palmas, a nice cozy room with a bathroom just across the hall. The shower was good and hot. There is no AC, but it wasn't needed at night. George was very welcoming and nice, he gave us dinner suggestions after we arrived and answered any questions we had. My sleep wasn't the best, as I'm a light sleeper and I could hear the people in the room next to us coughing and getting ready at 4am. So, earplugs are a good option if you are a light sleeper. Our shuttle picked us up at 6am the next morning and George prepared us a breakfast to bring along - it was very tasty and much appreciated!

I think George has a great place...it's close to the airport and very reasonably priced. Will definitely stay here again if we go back to Costa Rica!

Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We didn't spend much time in Alajuela - the first night, we flew in around 8pm on New Year's Eve. George collected us at the airport, saving us an $11 cab ride. Score. The next morning, we headed out early. He made us a sack lunch, which really saved us.

Our second stay was on the way back home. We spent the afternoon in downtown Alajuela - at the Mercado Central (10 min cab ride or leisurely 30 min walk). Very cool! Hardly any tourists. Tip: Check out the ceviche stand inside. Delicious! Again, the next morning George packed us a meal of breakfast sandwiches, fruit and cookies. A real lifesaver!

Tips
- Alajuela is just a few miles from SJO - much easier than staying in San Jose proper.
- Alegria is located in a very residential area. Not much by the way of restaurants or stores. You have to walk about 20-30 min to get downtown, but we didn't think this was an issue.

You just can't beat the southern-style hospitality and squeaky clean rooms for $50 a night! Thanks again, George!

Room Tip: The house and all the rooms were very clean - nothing fancy. The first time, we stayed in a small ro...
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

George, the owner, was very friendly. He picked us up at the airport, which was very nice after a +11hr flight.

Because of the jetlag, we woke up quite early, so George made our breakfast earlier.
Great breakfast with fresh fruit, juice and some kind of bread. He would have made eggs for us, if we wanted.

This location is perfect as a first or last night stay before/after your arrival/departure at the San Jose airport. George is very helpful, even before your stay.

Room Tip: We slept in Las Palmas, which is a good room. I didn't see the other rooms, but I guess they are...
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My fiance and I recently stayed at the Alegria on our first and last nights of our vacation. We arrived late at night and George was kind enough to pick us up from the airport. I liked George even before I met him, he was so helpful and responsive in answering my questions about Costa Rica, and only grew to like him more. The house is beautiful and so much larger than I expected, we stayed in Las Flores but could have handled a smaller room. George and his friend (his name escapes me) are wonderful people who will help you with anything you need, you'll feel like you are visiting your relatives. Breakfast is delicious, especially the fruit, and if you have to run early George will pack you a delicious take away meal (egg sandwich on an English muffin was my fav).

One tip, we had a little trouble directing our cab driver on the way back from dropping our rental car off. He was only slightly familiar with the area. If you run into this problem, I would suggest you do as we do. Ask someone on the street where the American with the very big house lives, they are likely to know how to direct you better than if you ask for it by name.

Room Tip: Las Flores is beautiful and huge if you want a lot of privacy (your own tv, etc) this is the room fo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My (new) wife and I stayed at Alegria on the last night of our two week Costa Rica adventure and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It is close to the airport which made getting out the next morning very easy. The house is big and beautiful and the room we were given was very comfortable.
George (the owner) was excellent. He made sure everything we needed was taken care of. He arranged all of our transportation, recommended where we could get dinner and provided us with a fantastic dinner to take with us in the morning when we were heading out to catch an early flight. The level of comfort and service for the price is fantastic! Will definitely stay here again on any overnight San Jose stay in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Alegria Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!