“HORRIBLE” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Atlanta
“HORRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Please do yourself a favor and do not stay here. Once you've done a few days at the luxurious hotels at the beach and near the volcanoes, choosing to end your vacation here is like undoing all the enjoyment of the rest of the trip. My wife could not sleep a wink. The woman at the front desk was very rude. There were ants and mosquitoes in the rooms which were old, dirty, and incredibly cold. Even though it said no smoking, our room had the distinct smell of cigarette smoke, and obviously still had the same air filters as when it was allowed. Had we not already paid in full we would have certainly left for another hotel. The men's bathroom in the restaurant had no soap and there was an OPEN window to the kitchen...disgusting!! We ended up leaving at 3 in the morning and headed over to the airport just to get out of the room.

It is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in my entire life.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Olathe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Old, dated hotel, close to Int. airport. Overpriced. Great lady on front desk, very helpful and good English. Rooms ok, good bed, small, dated shower and toilet. WiFi in room. Old computer in lobby for guests.
Small, nice pool. Restaurant closed our nt.,(Monday), looked ok, but not good prices.
Older hotel is now being remodeled and new addition under-construction.
Stayed one nt. to catch early flight. Arranged 5AM wake-up call with friendly lady at desk. Also was to secure airport taxi for 5:30 am.
We woke up at 4:30, packed, looked for coffee and desk, etc. was closed. Wake-up call never came. At 5:15am went again to front desk. Still black. Went to front drive-way and realized that security gates are pad-locked. The fence over 6' high.
We were locked IN our hotel!
My wife, in search of coffee, found a solo maintenance-man. Very friendly, but non-English speaking. His English only slightly better than my poor Spanish. He was the only employee actually AT the hotel 7-minutes before our taxi was scheduled to arrive.
Fortunately, this really nice early-worker guy saved us BIG STRESS. He had a key to unlock the castle-type gates and the taxi was on time. I had imagined trying to throw end-of-trip HEAVY bags over a 6-foot fence. Could not get my mind around getting my sub-five foot spouse over that fence.
Trying not to be paranoid, I must admit that for 5 to 7 minutes it freaked me to realize that we were trapped in a hotel and not speaking Spanish curtailed much chance of calling another taxi and trying to explain that the gates were locked, but please come in and rescue us. Fat chance that we could explain our situation to a Spanish speaking operator and have her get help for us in time to catch our flight out of the country.
Things did work-out for us, but folks that sleep heavy may have had trouble with NO wake-up call ever coming.
Bottom-line: there is a new Holiday-Inn Express a few blocks way. Same price, but new room with amenities, (gym, better TV, atmosphere etc.). A better choice than the tired old Mango.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We, like other, look for 1-2 nights before we leave from CR, let me make a note, THE HOTEL JUST CHANGE ADMINISTRATION, we was atended by Michelle and Vianey, both, very nice person, perfect english and friendly.
We are not to fancy for hotels, if is clean and safe is enough.
Of course, if the hotel is close to the airport you will hear the flights/planes landing and departing but is nothing mortal is a normal noise.
The food was great (persian food), the breakfast is include, they pay the taxi to the airport (include in the rate), the pool look clean (we dont use), the room was clean, with tv cable, a/c, fan, 2 queen beds.
Rgds

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
las vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Warning!!!!! Do not stay at hotel. Theives of the worst kind.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed there this past weekend, the hotel is a dump.. smells, beds are horrible and is way overpriced. Dont pay in colones because there transfer rate is horrible and and u will end up paying well over the 87$$ dollar amount . We sayed ther not wanting to give money to the big "corporate hotels' , but should of. I know i wont use them again, plenty of hotels to choose from.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We walked into this hotel on our way out of Costa Rica (last night before catching an early flight). They offered a cash discount, lovely outdoor -poolside restuarant on-site (food was a little pricey), and clean rooms. Free internet service, friendly English-speaking staff, and free service to shuttle in private vehicle. The price we got was $50 USD less than the walk in price at Holiday Inn Express. This hotel is an easy and safe walk from the Holiday Inn Express (walk on a sidewalk). I would recommend this Hotel for its charm and personality, and GREAT price.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Gulfport, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

upon leaving the mango I paid with my credit card at the front desk before checking out. I was in a hurry and my cab dricer was wating for me. I didn't really check the charges that well , as my glasses were packed in one of my bags. Big Big mistake! When I got back to Florida I noticed I was charged over $200 more than I should have been charged! I called the Mango and spoke to the manager, Diana and she informed me that it was there mistake and it would be corrected. after I received my next statement from the credit card company I called the manager again, she apoliged and gave me another excuse. this went on and on. By the time i contacted my credit card company I was told that to much time had passed and they could not help me. So in short I lost $200 the theifs at The Mango. If your fool enought to stay there, please watch your money

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mango? Share your experiences!