“Great place to stay on arrival and departing Costa Rica” 4 of 5 stars

Villa Pacande Bed & Breakfast
via Poas Volcano | 3 km from Alajuela downtown, Alajuela, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 54 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Great place to stay on arrival and departing Costa Rica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I had booked another place in Alajuela but it was in the center of town and not what I was looking for.The taxi driver thought I would like Villa Pacande and he was right! I showed up without a reservation and was so thankful that Marcela had a nice clean room for me.
I had a nice patio to myself with a view of the garden and surrounding trees.
Breakfast was wonderful and fresh,lots of fresh fruit and eggs to order.
Taxi rides to town and local restaurants were $5-10
I will stay here again when I return to Costa Rica,felt like family.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
florence
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed there upon arrival and before leaving the country. It is exactly what you need after long flight or before one. You need to have your own car to get there. I recommend it!

Room Tip: Thre are rooms with a balcony, these are the nicest.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I stayed there with my husband on the first night we arrived to Costa Rica.
Unfortunately it was farther then we thought, it's actually outside of Alajuela.
The breakfast was average (even less), so was the service.
The place is pretty clean and the room was big, but we did expect to get more from the hotel for the price per night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We ended up staying 9 nights at Villa Pacande. It became our home base. The grounds are lovely and Marcela was a wonderful host. It was a real oasis outside the bustle of the city. The rooms are simple yet afford all the necessities. The service is family friendly and we were made to feel at home. We will certainly return to Villa Pacande the next time we have

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

This bed and breakfast is absolutely amazing, i stayed here for 2 weeks during a medical retreat that I was apart of in poverty ridden parts of Costa Rica. The owner Marcela is an amazing cook, shows great hospitality and really makes you feel at home. If you really want to be engulfed in Costa Rican culture and learn about what a great place it really is this is the place for you! I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: They are all great rooms!
  • Stayed May 2011
tel aviv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

in this place there is nice staff and owners
it is in good location and the prices are ok
but
they should clean the rooms becouse we found a lot of Ants on the bed and we didnt like it so much
the bedding are smell old
I think the can fix all this small problems in minutes
i hope they will do it soon.
It is good place only for 1 night - on the way to somewhere

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

I found Villa Pacande on the internet while staying in San Jose. We were looking for a good but not too expensive place near Poas to stay for one night and the website sounded as if this might be appropriate. First of all, the pictures on the internet are a bit deceiving. The "villa" is an old house/finca that appears to have seen better days. Yes, it has a yard but it doesn't seem to be kept in especially good condition. But what's most surprising is what many reviews say about "family run," "family atmosphere," "helpful, warm advice," etc. When we arrived, one of the ladies who works there came to open the gate for us. The man who apparently was the manager was youngish, somewhat distant and not overly "family-like" or welcoming. (And my husband and I are both fluent in Spanish, so there was no language barrier). We received a room off the main porch. It had a bed, a couple of night tables, and a tiny bathroom. It seemed clean but very small, in fact there was no space to even turn around in the bathroom. It was very, very basic--good, I imagine for campers, hostel fans and the like, but for older people or anyone expecting anything more, this would not be a great choice. We never saw any of the warm family atmosphere so many have mentioned. We had to pretty much guess everything--no information was given to us.
The breakfast was okay but nothing like what we've gotten in most similarly priced places where we've stayed. We did get gallo pinto as well as plain bread and some kind of fruit (I don't remember what). There was also cereal available The ladies who worked there in the kitchen and cleaning the rooms were friendly, in fact much more so than the manager.
I'm truly curious as to what happened during our stay to make it seem so different from the people who have given this hotel excellent ratings. I understand that the owners of Hotel Pacande in the town of Alajuela are also the owners of Villa Pacande--but apparently the head person wasn't at this place when we visited.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Pacande Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!