“Tiny & terrific” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Calhoun, Georgia, United States
“Tiny & terrific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Cute,LITTLE place,with fabulous menu. I had the special of the day, a crock of awesome French onion soup and a wedge of steak & egg quiche. I will go back when I am hungrier and try one of the other fantastic sounding things on the list.

Visited May 2013

74% Recommend
Welch, West Virginia
“After Two visits, both very slow, we won't go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I know good food takes time, but we have been here twice now and the wait for our food was exceptionally long. While it is good food, it is not worth the wait. We also have decided it is overpriced. It has potential. I like the pottery used for goblets, bowls, plates. The menu is good but doesn't come up to the price. The famous hot fudge cake seemed like a small portion of cake, disguised under lots of whipped cream, and it was also dry, perhaps from being warmed improperly. On both visits, the chef came to our table and apologized for the delay. Even so, we decided not to return. It is a small restaurant and had only one server. He wasn't as attentive as he should have been. We had to ask for things and tried several times before getting his attention. I consider the restaurant in Mentone since it is closer to it than Valley Head as listed. It is just down the hill from the Mentone intersection at Miracle Pottery.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Georgia
“Good things in small packages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Eleven of us celebrated a birthday here. It is close to our home and recommended by friends. We made reservations, which are needed because the restaurant, although pretty, is small. The watiress was very friendly. Food was beautifully presented and delicious. I had the best blackened slamon I have ever eaten. There are many sides to choose, from. Everyone raved about the shrimp and grits and grilled vegetable sides. The menu is really large and varied. Everyone had something different, and everyone was pleased. It was pricey, but worth it. You must also bring your own beer/wine. They use dishes from the hand-made pottery shop underneath the restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cloudland, GA
“Overcooked food, someone's not paying attention in the kitchen!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I've eaten here 3 times now, probably won't go back again. One meal was good, one meal was bad, third time -- well, nothing was right with that experience. Ordered a steak medium-rare, got it well (and I mean WELL) done, sent it back, got another one this time with blue cheese on it (hate blue cheese!), scraped off as much as I could. Another in my party ordered a steak with some blue cheese and side of veggies; she didn't get her dish the way she ordered it either. It was all screwed up. Out of 4 of us, only one person got exactly what they ordered. This is not a big restaurant, so it can't be that they were working on 30 other meals. The salads were good, the bread was very good. Ask for butter if you don't like the sweet stuff they serve the bread with. I personally don't like sweet with bread. It's tiny in there, so when full can get a little claustrophobic. Good thing is you can bring your own wine so you've got something to do while they try to fix what they messed up with your meal. Service was very, very good. Too bad for this price the food was not.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“A Wonderful Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We took day trip from Chattanooga to Desoto Falls. We ended up in Valley Head, AL and based on a recommendation went to J. Spencers. It is a quaint restaurant on the upper story of a two story A-Frame that houses Miracle Pottery on the bottom level. It is nestled in the woods on the side of the mountain. The seating area is in two rooms. The space is cozy and warm. The food was a wonderful surprise. We went for lunch and were surprised at the variety of offerings. I had the French Dip Sandwich that is made with their Prime Rib and the Tree House Salad. My date had the Log Cabin Chili Corn Pone which is cornbread covered with chili and all sorts of other wonderful toppings. The waitress and the chef were very personable and friendly. We would make the trip again just go to J. Spencers.

• Visited January 2013