“There's better around” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Ct
“There's better around”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a very old Motel in need of a lot of work! It's in a convenient location, just off the Interstate with plenty of restaurants and shopping around. The motel is old, old, old and needs update desperately.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during a football weekend and all I can say is "Run"!. Our room was horrible, including blood stains on the shower curtain, vomit stains on the chair, mildew in the shower, a rattling air conditioner, and sheets and pillows that have to be 20 years or older. The breakfast is an absolute joke consisting of stale mini muffins and weak coffee. When informed of all our issues, the hotel manager was extremely rude, however said they would correct everything the second night (while we were at the Bama game), and the only thing done when we returned was a new chair. When I called to complain, I was informed they would take 10% off my bill. Considering our room was over $200 per night, I feel like I've been conned. I sent a letter to the corporate office, Choice Hotels, and they did nothing but send me a form letter apologizing. I will never stay at another EconoLodge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My sister and I planned our Family Weekend vacation in July and this was the only hotel that was still avaliable in the Tuscaloosa area at that time. It looks relatively nice on the outside, but the inside is disgusting. There was some sort of black mold-like substance on the walls and when we opened the door a rush of mold smell wafted out of the room. Since the entire city was sold out, there wasn't any other place for us to go. The carpet had an oily feel to it, the bathroom had broken and missing tiles, the refrigerator was not clean on the inside, and the overall condition of the room was deplorable. When we asked about internet access so we could print off our boarding passes to fly home, we were told there wasn't a computer available. The continental breakfast was dismal with cereal, milk, packaged pasteries and coffee.
If you have the opportunity to stay somewhere else in Tuscaloosa, do so and stay away from this place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Monee, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here only one night while riding thru Tuscaloosa. Two story motel with exterior doors to rooms. Check in was quick and the hotel staff was friendly and offered suggestions on places to eat. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance.
My room was on the ground floor and was a king, non-smoking room with a sofa. The room was very dated with old style tv, old bed spread and microwave and fridge. Small outdated bathroom with sink in the room. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable.
Free continental breakfast which was basicially nonexistent. Only saw coffee, orange juice and a couple muffins. Seasonal outdoor pool.
My stay was ok but if I'm ever in the area again, I'll probably stay somewhere more modern.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
SE Ga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Here for UA graduation, staff friendly, room awful:
1) 3 of 6 lights not working
2) some kind of brown/black "goop" on; back of door, door knobs, phone directory placard
3) dead bug in coffee maker
4) carpet extremely dirty
5) areas around door filthy
6) tub stained/dirty
7) cigarette tar stains on numerous horizontal surfaces
8) furniture clean, but, scuffed,scratched and in need of repair/replace

Hey, I understand this is a "value" hotel, but at least it can be clean! Tempted to eat the loss of a priceline.com deal ($55 nt + tax/ fees) X 2 nights. We will never stay in a Econolodge again.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Stopped here spur of the moment. Nice to find friendly staff and a clean room.

• Stayed July 2012
Lenexa, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed here for a total of six nights. Never had a problem. I didn't try the breakfast so I can't comment on that. The room was clean enough. Yes, it's definitely a dated hotel and you can tell. I agree that the bathroom could have used a little more attention, but it wasn't anything that I couldn't deal with.

The place can be difficult to find because it is behind some restaurants.

The one thing I found is the rooms have colored sheets (Kings were Pink!). I thought this was a bit refreshing. It was different than your typical white sheets! I did see Blue sheets on the housekeeping cart.

I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!