“Needs renovation and new staff is not as nice as old staff” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Metairie
“Needs renovation and new staff is not as nice as old staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stay in Fairfields all over the country, and many of them have been renovated in the recent years. This hotel is long overdue for a renovation. I know the university traffic keeps them busy, but it seems that during the summer, they should try to do some renovations, or even right after football season. Especially with the price of the rooms even in non peak season, I feel like I am not getting my money's worth. I am never given special treatment as a Marriott Rewards member and never given an upgrade when I ask for it, citing that I am not a high enough level. Give me a break, I stay there at least once a month! The breakfast needs to be revamped, and they should add a laundry facility, as other Fairfields I've stayed in have done. I continue to stay here because of the indoor pool, as I do daily water exercises, but given the opportunity, I now pay even more to stay at another chain because their hotel has been renovated and the breakfast is much better. But, still, compared to the other dives in this city, I would stay here and pay the price over choosing a cheaper option in a not safe neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Totowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Tuscaloosa is a college football town in which many hotels are only ok; they can be lazy about quality & service because rooms are in high demand, especially during football season. Not so with Fairfield Inn by Marriott. Although it is a little farther away from campus than most other hotels, this location is actually appreciated as it is also farther from the congested highways that go through town. It is a bit pricier than most others in town, but it is worth the location & better quality.

• Stayed August 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I am a Marriott chains fan; Marriott is almost always my choice of lodging if I have a choice. In the case of this property, it was average (although the service staff were above average in courtesy and professionalism). The hallways felt dark and gloomy. The room itself was fine - spacious and well laid out for working and resting. The breakfast was "fine" too. If I could give it 3.5 stars instead of 3 I would.

Room Tip: The elevator opens directly into the hallway (i.e., there's not a little "spur" where...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Enterprise, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Good location with close access to several restaurants and an easy drive to the university. Rooms are clean and quiet. He pool is small but typical of other Fairfields. The exercise room consists of treadmills only--no weights at all.

Several restaurants are just down the street ton include 2 BBQ joints, a Ryan's, and a few fast food places as well. Also down the street is an Academy sports store in case you need a few new lures before returning home...

We stayed 2 nights for college orientation for our son and we were very happy with this place. Centrally located, clean, affordable and quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were traveling through the area on our way home from the mountains...and just decided to stop here. We were sent to the Baymont Inn by Wyndham...and we think we were part of a bet because that place was a nightmare! We checked in, and 20 minutes later checked out. How happy we were that there were rooms here!!!! This place was so clean and the beds VERY comfortable! It just so happens that we stopped because of my back...and the mattress was perfect! Zach did a great job helping us out...and didn't even say anything about my Texas A&M shirt I was wearing. ;-)

Room Tip: If you stand in the bathroom and talk to others in the room...everyone in the hall on the outside wi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Northport, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here recently for an apartment hunting trip, and the hotel was adequate. The property was nice, but nothing spectacular. The room was clean, but nothing out of the ordinary. The breakfast choices were a bit disappointing, but standard fare for a free continental option.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Chose this for a one night stay on the road. Didn't want to pay for the Courtyard. Looks a little shabby from the outside, but we were pleasantly surprised with the room. Clean room, comfortable bed, no outside noise or from other guests. Friendly staff. Got a goodnight's sleep. The breakfast was bare bones, but wouldn't have got even that at the Courtyard. We feel we made the right choice.

• Stayed June 2013
ffituscaloosa, Manager at Fairfield Inn by Marriott Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate feedback from our guests. I was glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and my staff took great care of you while you were our guest. I am truly glad you got a good night’s rest. I feel as though we did our job as a well rested night is a great start to a new day. I hope the coaching clinic was a success. We wish you safe travels and if you are ever in the area again we would love to have you stay with us. Again, thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review.

Management

Been to Fairfield Inn by Marriott Tuscaloosa? Share your experiences!