“Not the greatest Hampton Inn in the World” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
“Not the greatest Hampton Inn in the World”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Any hotel that carries the Hampton flag is going to be at least a decent place to stay, and this hotel certainly was. The breakfast was of the usual Hampton high standard, if the breakfast room was a bit small for a three-story property. Front desk staff was particularly friendly and helpful. The rooms, however, were only adequate. No outlets for the in-room coffee maker; no suitcase rack, small desk crammed directly against the bed; no tub. Now, these are not big dis-satisfiers and the rest of the room was fine--what you would expect from this reliable brand. Still, as Hamptons go, this one was probably one of the least enjoyable. I received a special rate through the University of Alabama, so I felt that I received a reasonable value for my room. But if you pay more than $100 per night, you're going to probably feel a bit overcharged. The hotel is convenient to the campus if a little difficult to find off of US 82. Bottom line: nothing here to scare you off but don't come expecting a top-notch Hampton Inn experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
TCLAL_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn - University, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our property. We are always happy to receive feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve. We strive to have a friendly and clean place for our guests to stay.

In regards to some of your comments about the room furnishings, I am pleased to tell you that beginning in June of this year; we will completely remodel all of our guest rooms at our property. We will be doing small blocks of rooms at a time as to not interfere with the guests staying at the property. Our goal with the room renovation is to give our guests a more open feeling in the rooms as well as additional power outlets for laptops, cell phones, and other electronic devices.

We are continually adding new features and upgrading our property in order to stay competitive with other hotels in the market. We strive to be the preferred hotel in our market and we are committed to doing what it takes to take care of our guests. We just completed a total remodel of the lobby and breakfast areas and we are excited about the upcoming enhancements to our guest rooms.

As always, we welcome any and all feedback from our guests in order to make our product the best. We are not perfect but we are committed to always looking for ways to improve our product and our service. I welcome the comments of any of our past, present or future guests. Feel free to call us any time with questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions. Our staff is available at any time and can be reached at 205-553-9800.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
ppraisegod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed here on a visit to the University of Alabama campus.
The hotel is located right next to the campus and you can take the back way as another guest had mentioned in a review.
The front desk staff was very helpful and all but one person knew the campus and where buildings were very well.
We did have one front desk person that was not especially pleasant but she was the only exception. Everyone else seemed happy to be there.
The rooms were typical for a Hampton Inn.
The breakfast was amazing. We had hot and cold foods and plenty of it. There was fruit ,cereal. juice, waffles ,bagels.....
The staff did not remove the food at exactly 10 and in fact left it there until everyone was finished.
The pool was clean and had fun Alabama tubes in it that our kids loved.
We would stay here again .

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I spent one night here on a business trip to Tuscaloosa. The front desk staff was great and the housekeeping staff I met were all very friendly. The room was a double with two queens and it was extremely clean. The bed was comfy. I slept very well there. The bathroom was on the small side and didn't have an exhaust fan, so it got pretty steamy in there pretty fast. The shower had great water pressure, but it wouldn't be ideal for a very tall person. There was a step up to get into the tub, and the shower wasn't mounted very high, so if you happen to be over 6', you might have to duck. It was February, so I didn't use the outdoor pool, but it appeared to be well-kept. Breakfast was pretty good, standard stuff. The breakfast area was very clean. The location of this hotel is great if you need to be on campus and has easy access to McFarland Boulevard, a main thoroughfare in Tuscaloosa. Wings restaurant is within walking distance and has great food, but that is another topic. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor (# 123) very close to housekeeping. and I could hear the staff workin...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed here while my son was visiting the University of Alabama. Our room was nice, the pool was clean and there were even toys in the pool for my younger son. The breakfast area is huge. In other hotels, it seems like the breakfast area has gotten smaller and smaller.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
North Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Let me begin by saying that this property In the past was always my property of choice when booking a hotel in Tuscaloosa. My husband, however, has recently opted for another Hilton property - Hilton Garden Inn - in another part of the city. But being the fabulous husband that he is, he let me choose my now "former favorite" for our accommodations this past weekend. I have not stayed at this property since spring of 2010, and boy, was it really disappointing and, actually, quite sad to see the shockingly dilapidated condition of the hotel.
We started out with a handicapped room that was so worn and haggard-looking that we asked to be moved to a "better" room. The front desk attendant Amanda assured us that the next room would be the same, and she was absolutely spot on.
We were moved around the corner to another very sad, tattered, and frayed-looking room. The furniture was outdated and so badly worn that the finish was wearing away. The only picture on the wall was one on the outside wall, nothing over the bed, and absolutely no accessories to brighten up the space. Paint job in this room was so horrible that I would have to say that the painters either had very bad vision and/or were inebriated while they were working. The chair and ottoman in the room were FILTHY, with well-defined areas of dirt/stains on both. We initially couldn't get our TV to work, and Carolyn, with the Housekeeping Department, came in, and after calling on someone else, finally got that going. She said that they had been having problems with the televisions in the rooms. I expressed my shock to Carolyn at how this property had deteriorated so badly, to the point that I couldn't believe that Hilton would allow its name to be associated with it. Carolyn was quite eager to try to make our stay a better experience and asked what she could do to help. Though I really appreciated her concern and offer to assist, I expressed that the only thing that she could do to make that happen was for her and me to immediately begin the renovation that she said is scheduled to begin over the next several months. Unfortunately, the owners of this property have savored the profits before undertaking a several-years overdue renovation/renewal of the hotel's interior. I walked throughout the common areas in the hotel lobby, and the same worn furniture was there too.
My husband and I requested a room with a refrigerator. When we were moved to the second room, we still didn't have that convenience. Now, believe you me, I have traveled extensively, and I have NEVER had this to happen. Approximately 30 minutes later, the front-desk clerk had someone from maintenance bring in a pretty big refrigerator and microwave on a dolly to our room. Ronnie, the very nice maintenance man, had to rearrange the sparse, filty furniture in order to accommodate the new addition to our room.
Though it looks as if the bathroom has undergone some renovation (because there are no longer tubs in the room), it seems as if the owners decided to use a glass enclosure on the shower that is designed for a tub. They added the doors to the base of the shower, so the top of the enclosure is not tall enough. Therefore, a warning for men, if you're six feet or over, you must duck to get into the really pitiful excuse for what I perceive to be their "new" shower stall.
On a positive note, I will say that the bathroom was clean and the bed was comfortable. But again, it is SHOCKING to see a Hilton property that is in such a state of dilapidation and weary-looking. Suffice it to say, I will not be back until renovations/repairs are effected, and I would suggest anyone traveling to the area inquire before they book as to the state of the planned remodel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
TCLAL_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn - University, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
I want to apologize to SouthernBelle79 that her stay did not live up to her expectations. The management and staff of the Hampton Inn Tuscaloosa - University work very hard to maintain an excellent product for our guest and we are always sadden to learn that we failed to meet our guests' expectations. I would like to say that just last week (12/06/2012) we had our Quality Assurance inspection by Hilton Hotels and scored exceptionally well on cleanliness and overall condition of our property. This is also reflected in the daily reviews we get from our guests. We feel that, while our product is not a brand new property, we do an excellent job of maintaining a friendly, clean, and safe environment for our guests.

In regards to renovation, we are continually adding new features and upgrading our property in order to stay competitive with other hotels in the market. We strive to be the preferred hotel in our market and we are committed to doing what it takes to take care of our guests. I am pleased that beginning in January 2012, we will start a complete renovation of the entire lobby and breakfast area. This upgrade will give our guests many new features in the public spaces in order to enhance their experience. Upon completion of the lobby, we will start a complete remodel of all our guest rooms.

As always, we welcome any and all feedback from our guests in order to make our product the best. I hope that SouthernBelle79 will give our hotel another chance in the future to once again become her property of choice in Tuscaloosa. We are not perfect but we are committed to always looking for ways to improve our product and our service. I welcome the comments of any of our past, present or future guests. Feel free to call us with questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions. Our staff is available at any time and can be reached at 205-553-9800.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Overall, the hotel was great. We enjoyed staying there. There was ample parking, decent continental breakfast, the rooms were clean and smelled fine. The bathroom was clean. It had a small refrigerator for storing cold things...and they had a nice little place downstairs where they sold drinks, snacks, etc. It's real close to everything and just off the interstate, but it still yields some privacy.

We were in town for a wedding and they hosted all of us with respect and the front desk was very helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be really nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011 via mobile

We are Alabama University football season tickets holders. We stay here every home game from Friday to Sunday. Great service! We are offered complementary soft drinks/water and pop corn every Friday night. Upon arrival in the room another bottle of water and a pack of chocolate chip cookies awaits for you along with the program for Saturday football.
After every game dinner is served which is catered from very good restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Hampton Inn - University? Share your experiences!