“Very close to the University of Alabama and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Austin, TX
“Very close to the University of Alabama and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed here while my son was visiting the University of Alabama. Our room was nice, the pool was clean and there were even toys in the pool for my younger son. The breakfast area is huge. In other hotels, it seems like the breakfast area has gotten smaller and smaller.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
North Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Let me begin by saying that this property In the past was always my property of choice when booking a hotel in Tuscaloosa. My husband, however, has recently opted for another Hilton property - Hilton Garden Inn - in another part of the city. But being the fabulous husband that he is, he let me choose my now "former favorite" for our accommodations this past weekend. I have not stayed at this property since spring of 2010, and boy, was it really disappointing and, actually, quite sad to see the shockingly dilapidated condition of the hotel.
We started out with a handicapped room that was so worn and haggard-looking that we asked to be moved to a "better" room. The front desk attendant Amanda assured us that the next room would be the same, and she was absolutely spot on.
We were moved around the corner to another very sad, tattered, and frayed-looking room. The furniture was outdated and so badly worn that the finish was wearing away. The only picture on the wall was one on the outside wall, nothing over the bed, and absolutely no accessories to brighten up the space. Paint job in this room was so horrible that I would have to say that the painters either had very bad vision and/or were inebriated while they were working. The chair and ottoman in the room were FILTHY, with well-defined areas of dirt/stains on both. We initially couldn't get our TV to work, and Carolyn, with the Housekeeping Department, came in, and after calling on someone else, finally got that going. She said that they had been having problems with the televisions in the rooms. I expressed my shock to Carolyn at how this property had deteriorated so badly, to the point that I couldn't believe that Hilton would allow its name to be associated with it. Carolyn was quite eager to try to make our stay a better experience and asked what she could do to help. Though I really appreciated her concern and offer to assist, I expressed that the only thing that she could do to make that happen was for her and me to immediately begin the renovation that she said is scheduled to begin over the next several months. Unfortunately, the owners of this property have savored the profits before undertaking a several-years overdue renovation/renewal of the hotel's interior. I walked throughout the common areas in the hotel lobby, and the same worn furniture was there too.
My husband and I requested a room with a refrigerator. When we were moved to the second room, we still didn't have that convenience. Now, believe you me, I have traveled extensively, and I have NEVER had this to happen. Approximately 30 minutes later, the front-desk clerk had someone from maintenance bring in a pretty big refrigerator and microwave on a dolly to our room. Ronnie, the very nice maintenance man, had to rearrange the sparse, filty furniture in order to accommodate the new addition to our room.
Though it looks as if the bathroom has undergone some renovation (because there are no longer tubs in the room), it seems as if the owners decided to use a glass enclosure on the shower that is designed for a tub. They added the doors to the base of the shower, so the top of the enclosure is not tall enough. Therefore, a warning for men, if you're six feet or over, you must duck to get into the really pitiful excuse for what I perceive to be their "new" shower stall.
On a positive note, I will say that the bathroom was clean and the bed was comfortable. But again, it is SHOCKING to see a Hilton property that is in such a state of dilapidation and weary-looking. Suffice it to say, I will not be back until renovations/repairs are effected, and I would suggest anyone traveling to the area inquire before they book as to the state of the planned remodel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
TCLAL_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn - University, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
I want to apologize to SouthernBelle79 that her stay did not live up to her expectations. The management and staff of the Hampton Inn Tuscaloosa - University work very hard to maintain an excellent product for our guest and we are always sadden to learn that we failed to meet our guests' expectations. I would like to say that just last week (12/06/2012) we had our Quality Assurance inspection by Hilton Hotels and scored exceptionally well on cleanliness and overall condition of our property. This is also reflected in the daily reviews we get from our guests. We feel that, while our product is not a brand new property, we do an excellent job of maintaining a friendly, clean, and safe environment for our guests.

In regards to renovation, we are continually adding new features and upgrading our property in order to stay competitive with other hotels in the market. We strive to be the preferred hotel in our market and we are committed to doing what it takes to take care of our guests. I am pleased that beginning in January 2012, we will start a complete renovation of the entire lobby and breakfast area. This upgrade will give our guests many new features in the public spaces in order to enhance their experience. Upon completion of the lobby, we will start a complete remodel of all our guest rooms.

As always, we welcome any and all feedback from our guests in order to make our product the best. I hope that SouthernBelle79 will give our hotel another chance in the future to once again become her property of choice in Tuscaloosa. We are not perfect but we are committed to always looking for ways to improve our product and our service. I welcome the comments of any of our past, present or future guests. Feel free to call us with questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions. Our staff is available at any time and can be reached at 205-553-9800.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Overall, the hotel was great. We enjoyed staying there. There was ample parking, decent continental breakfast, the rooms were clean and smelled fine. The bathroom was clean. It had a small refrigerator for storing cold things...and they had a nice little place downstairs where they sold drinks, snacks, etc. It's real close to everything and just off the interstate, but it still yields some privacy.

We were in town for a wedding and they hosted all of us with respect and the front desk was very helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be really nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011 via mobile

We are Alabama University football season tickets holders. We stay here every home game from Friday to Sunday. Great service! We are offered complementary soft drinks/water and pop corn every Friday night. Upon arrival in the room another bottle of water and a pack of chocolate chip cookies awaits for you along with the program for Saturday football.
After every game dinner is served which is catered from very good restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011
Dothan, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I needed a place to stay a couple of nights while visiting Tuscaloosa on business. This Hampton Inn is conveniently located. It is modern and up-to-date with attractive, comfortable rooms. Only con was I thought it was a bit pricey.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Brattleboro, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Confusing to find from the highway even though you can easily see it. The best access is actually the "back" way on the east side of the hotel. Once you are familiar with the back way, it's really very easy getting in and out. Easy to get to the University in about 5 minutes by car.
The hotel was redone within the last couple of years and looks brand new. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful across all shifts. Breakfast was good as usual. Two computers are available in the business center. Cookies of course every evening. Probably the best choice in all of Tuscaloosa and we would definitely stay again. Any tornado damage from April 2011 is almost a mile south of the hotel so that should not be a concern at all.

Room Tip: We had trouble with the A/C not cooling sufficiently. They were quite responsive, replaced the unit...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Good location for U of Alabama visits. People were nice. Parking very good.Maps to university were helpful. Toiletries in room were excellent. Towels soft and beds comfortable. Our experience with Hamptons has been better in the past. The room smelled like burned hair and this was due to heater being newly turned on. Beds were comfortable. There were very limited snacks in lobby. Only peanut butter cookies- a variety would have been nice. No soda or popcorn in lobby. This would have been nice. Breakfast was a similar situation with limited selection with muffins- only banana nut- I'm not a fan of nuts so would have again liked some variety. Again, for us morning soda drinkers a soda machine would have been nice. I am used to much more from a Hampton Inn and was a bit disappointed. Also, avoid the restaurant next door. It is over priced with very bland food. You could do better in town.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn - University? Share your experiences!