“More than Happy with OUR stay” 5 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Tuscaloosa
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4122 McFarland Blvd East, Tuscaloosa, AL 35405-3833   |
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Wymondham, United Kingdom
“More than Happy with OUR stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We are road tripping and decided on this Motel on price and loction. To get things started we were concerned with the area however we felt no threat whatsoever. The staff were very friendly and the room (131) had the back to the I20 so we had no noise. I really cannot abide people who give a bad report due to insects in the room what is that about. Our room was clean tidy and we were rather impressed with the TV and the fact we had a table to sit at . The room was basic as we did not have a microwave or fridge but for one night we were more than happy for what we spent on our stay. Breakfast was basic with no hot food.

Room Tip: Ask for one with near the pool as it baffles the noise
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Wheaton, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Ok I want it undestood first off that in general, I have no issue with La Quinta Inns. I have stayed at other LaQuinta hotels and have generally found them to be a clean and budget friendly place to stay. Until this one.

So, I stayed at the La Quinta in Tuscaloosa on Sunday night as I was in town for a business trip. This hotel is not really near the street. It is way off the street hidden behind some sort of semi-truck parking lot. The hotel is set up "motel" style, where all the doors face the street. I don't really love that from a security and safety standpoint, but ok. I drive up to the lobby to check in. The lobby is small, but clean. The front desk attendant checks me in and gives me my room key in an envelope that had been previously been used and still had that number written on it and crossed off. I take my key and drive off to where my room is.

Once I got to the room, and used my key to open the door, the problems started. THERE WAS ANOTHER FAMILY ALREADY CHECKED IN TO THAT ROOM. I screamed, they screamed, we were all terrified. I spoke with the husband and cleared the air with him, and then drove BACK to the lobby to get a new room. The attendant fixed it, and I got a new, mercifully empty room.

The second room was on the first floor, and there were lots of not so awesome looking people just sort of milling outside the doors to their rooms. I walk in to my "new" room, and the room really was not great. The deadbolt did not work right, which was not comforting given the fact that I had walked in to someone else's room five minutes before. I pushed the reclining chair in front of my door to sleep.

The room also had a funny smell, like when your grandmother smokes and tries to cover it up with some sort of perfume.

The bed was pretty comfy, but I was not super relaxed due to the issues when I got to the hotel.

The water pressure in the shower was good, but the shower head was so low it was short for me and I am only 5'8,

The hair dryer broke when I was using it.

The hotel does offer free breakfast in the morning, but really I just wanted to get out of there so bad, I did not risk it.

As a woman traveling alone, I really did not feel safe here due to the location, the physical set up of the building and the key issue. I will not stay in this hotel again, and I will look more carefully at LaQuintas in the future before booking.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were really unhappy with our stay this past weekend. Following is a list of our complaints and observations:

1. The room (#107) smelled terribly of mold or mildew. We complained about this while we were there and were told they would address it with the maid service. I got the distinct impression that moving rooms was not an option, either another wasn’t available or more likely the condition of that room wouldn’t be any better. The latter is the impression I came away from that conversation with.
2. The second night we were there I woke up and turned on the light in bathroom area and found a cockroach scurrying across the floor.
3. After the first night, late in the afternoon, my wife had to go to the lobby to ask to have the room made up and to get additional towels (The maid had come by early in the day and my wife asked her to come back).
4. After the second night, the maid came by early and knocked on the door while I had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door – This should never happen
5. When I answered the door the maid asked if we needed any towels. When I said no she asked me to sign her sheet that she had come by. I specifically asked if she was going to come back to make up the room and she definitely responded “yes.”
6. She never came by and the room never got made up that day. I had to go to the front desk to ask for more towels for showers the next day.
7. Overall condition of the appearance of the hotel is rundown. The carpets are dirty and worn and generally, the entirety appears tired.

Given any choice we will never stay at thsi hotel again. Our daughter is a sophomore at the University and we make several trips to visit her a year. Clearly on game weekends they can, and do, get away with charging an outrageous amount of money per night. I don’t begrudge them that opportunity; however, I do find it terribly offensive that they charge the equivalent of 5 star or NY rates and don’t even provide the minimum service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

This is an older hotel but very clean and friendly!!! Beds were very comfortable. Trip advisor ratings can be skewed! It's not the Ritz Carlton but not Ritz Carlton prices!we were very surprised!! There is good access to all this town has to offer!

• Stayed September 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We arrived late with prior reservations asking for a non smoking, UPDATED room. We initially got a smoking, not updated room. The lady put us in the room next door. Non smoking, not updated, but no big deal. Room was clean and smoke free. Pet friendly. We didn't stay for breakfast, so I don't know how that was. Pool was loud. Comfy, comfy beds and roomy space was nice. Basic room came with a desk, big comfy chair, and closet. AC worked great. Nice new TV. I would stay here again if I was in the area.

Room Tip: Away from the pool
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I love staying at La Quinta Inns, I am all ways treated like a king. The rooms are bright and clean, the beds real comfortable. I would recommend staying there to any one that wants quality at a great price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Redford, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Don't make the mistake we did! Bugs everywhere and the room ! I sent my husband to the store to buy lysol and he was shocked by the cluster of people standing around and what appeared to be drug deals. Now I'm not usually easily rattled but I was on edge and didn't get much sleep. Do yourself a favor and pass this hotel up.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to La Quinta Inn Tuscaloosa? Share your experiences!