“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 31 hotels in Tuscaloosa
Starkville
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

This is one of my favorite places to stay. It's off the beaten path but worth the short drive. Best rooms in town for the price. Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean. Staff are friendly and helpful. If I have to make a negative comment it would be the continental breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
McDonough, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I have been staying at the Yellowhammer Inn for two years My elderly mother is 30 miles away, and this is a convenient place to stay when we visit her. We visit her every other month plus November and December. Unfortunately, the Inn is under new management, and the new management isn't as easy to deal with as the prior management. A couple of weeks ago we were there, and I tried to make reservations for our visits next year. I was told that the Inn now requires a prepayment for the first night's stay. We only stay one night so I would have to have six nights' stay put on my credit card. Because my mother is 81, anything could happen during the next year to cause me to cancel any or all of my reservations for the year. I sent an email to the manager and to the reservations manager, and as of today no one has even deigned to answer my email. This leads me to the conclusion that the new management does not value us as their long time customer. They could have least sent me an email to say they were sorry that they could no longer accommodate us. We have truly enjoyed our stays there, and we will miss going there. However, we will now be staying in Birmingham...we found another hotel that does value our business and all my reservations are made WITHOUT a charge to my credit card.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband found this inn on TripAdvisor when we were looking for a place to stay the night before we dropped our son off at school. The drive away from town made us uneasy (after a long evening of driving) but turned out to be scenic and relatively short. This place is a strange mix, with lovely grounds and exterior and somewhat odd decor inside (think Gothic chandeliers and mounted animal heads). The rooms were comfortable, and the bathrooms were recently updated. The only complaint I have is that noise carried from other rooms. (Our neighbors hosted a get-together, and we felt like they were in our room.) Breakfast was typical continental fare. Price was good, so we'll probably stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far from other guests as possible.
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very nice place to stay. Out of the way and quiet. The staff was friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. If you stay here on a non-football night the price and comfort can't be beat. We will stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Prattville AL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Spent 3 successive weekends there while my wife attended seminars at the University. Staff were always friendly. But on all 3 weekends air conditioning was feeble in rooms and in common areas. They had floor fans scattered around the lobby and breakfast area to keep air moving but it was not what you would expect. Last weekend no hot water Saturday morning. No apology on check our, no follow up email. Sent a letter to the General Manager a month ago. No response. Obviously the staff are burdened with managers who don't care. This property has awesome potential that is being wasted with the current management

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
John M, General Manager at Yellowhammer Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
We are very appreciative that despite the inconveniecne on your 3rd stay at the inn, that we did provide something that brought yourself, as we do many guests back multiple times.

The staff at the inn, responded quickly the time the hot water boiler did malfunction in the late evening to have an emergency repair done and hot water working by the next morning. Unfortunately, the unexpected can happen at the most inopportune times. As for the AC, the historic heat wave that affected 2/3 of the population of the US with heat indecies climbing to 110 degrees did stress our cooling system...Fortunately it did not go out as many businesses and residences did.. Our fans were our effort to keep our guests extral cool during the heat wave.

Although I was unable to apologize personally to every guest who went with warm water that evening (I was frantically helping the emergency repair man get the system repaired) We did accomodate any guest that had a concern as there were those who did have hot water, and those who did not, without us being able to identify those unless they brought it to our attention.

We fully appreciate all of the gracious return guests we have at the inn, and will continue to accomodate them and solve any unforseen emergencies as quickly as possible. We really appreciate you having the confidence in us!
danville, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

While this is in a lovely setting, that definately was the high point of our stay at the Yellowhammer. We arrived around 9 pm after having a bit of trouble finding the sign for Yacht Club Way (it was quite dark). It turns out we had unknowingly turned onto it but stopped and flagged someone down who was driving by and led us to the Inn.

After driving up to the lobby/entry, I was pleased by the look of the inn. Unfortunately, we were checked in by staff who was not helpful or friendly (I believe her name was Kristin). We were hungry and all that was available was a vending machine full of snack type food so we asked her if anyone in the area delivered. She informed us that it was too late for any place that delivers but when we called broadway pizzeria from their list of local restaurants we were told that they deliver up to 10:30. Not a big deal but she didn't go out of her way to help us or wasn't very well informed. I realize that there are places to eat within driving distance but we'd been on the road all day and weren't familiar with the area.

The beds were comfortable and the shutters were great for a dark room. The walls however, were quite thin and provide no soundproofing. In fact, the next morning at 7 am, the alarm next door went off and woke us, I called the front desk who said they would send someone to turn it off as the guest had already checked out. They did eventually come but we heard them go by our door, enter the room, shut it off and close the door before heading back up the hallway.

Breakfast was pretty bleak even for a continental breakfast. The room it was served in was nice but the actual food items were pretty average.

My daughter hopes to attend UA but although I love the grounds of the property, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I'm very happy to hear that although the front desk associate was unsure of what time delivery stopped at the multitude of eateries, that she was able to guide you to one that did!

We are also happy to hear that you found the place beautiful. Most of our guests comment on the great nature setting, and the value they recieve for the room costs.

We do serve a European style continental breakfast, consisting of basic items such as muffins, cereal and coffee as we are not a full service hotel. Thank you so much for your stay with us after what sounds like a long day of tiring travel.
Semmes, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

A very quaint hotel with excellent service. The feel of the mountains with the convenience of the city. Beautiful golf course and surroundings. Very comfortable; can't wait to stay there again. So peaceful!!! Everyone from check in to check out are so friendly and helpful!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Yellowhammer Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!