“Charged us for 3 nights and we only stayed 2.” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Hollywood Boulevard, Tuscaloosa, AL 35405   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Boaz, Alabama, United States
“Charged us for 3 nights and we only stayed 2.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

When we checked out, we received a receipt for the room for 2 nights plus tax. A couple of days later we noticed on our account that we had been charged for the 2 nights plus an additional charge of $149. I called and was told that we requested to stay another night and was billed accordingly. I never requested to stay another night. It has been 2 weeks since we stayed and we are still waiting for our refund. When I call I keep getting the run around.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
HGITuscaloosa, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
JoyO21,

I sincerely apologize for the billing misunderstanding with our property and appreciate your bringing this to my attention. My number one priority is the satisfaction of our guests and I understand the inconvenience this has caused you. As we have personally spoken and resolved this matter, I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

John Henderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Columbus, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I booked two rooms for orientation at UA and called over prior to arriving and requested adjacent or adjoining rooms. Was assured by the font desk staff that would not be a problem and and our reservation records were marked as such. When we arrived, i was told we should be "grateful" we were on the same floor. We were on opposite ends of the floor---so much for asking in advance.

One of the two rooms was fine. the second had some serious issues. Apparently, maintenance has found a new use for band-aid strips. At this hotel they are used as stabilizers/washers to secure a toilet seat. Color coordination is a challenge...since the band-aids strip is flesh colored and the toilet fixture is white. In addition the toilet could have passed for an amusement park ride. It was barely secured to the floor and rocked terribly. The bathtub was moldy and looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in ages and the wallpaper was peeling from the wall.

When I called the front desk, I was told they were "sold out" and there wasn't anything they could do. At the very best, the staff seemed completely indifferent to any of my concerns. I guess because they are in a college town, guest service can be substandard because of the high volume of traffic.

On a positive note, breakfast was good and the hotel was quiet.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Terrible service and rude front desk females. So bad that by the time we were almost done checking in, we finally said forget it and stayed at the Hampton Inn instead. Much better service.

• Stayed June 2012
HGITuscaloosa, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Nanners108,

We just reviewed your response on Trip Advisor and we are sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa. These valuable comments will be shared with our associates throughout the hotel and it is a valuable mentoring tool and training opportunity for them. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you very soon.

Sicerely,
John Hendserson
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Nice, clean room and a comfortable place to stay. Only problem, and it was a big one, was that my card (and 3 other cards I tried) would not open the door. The first night was fine, but after a long days work I came in late and no card would open my door the second night. The person on duty did not know how to use the machine that can open any of the doors so I had to stay in another room. Unfortunately, the only room available was a smoking. They also woke me up in the morning to tell me they were working on the door, which I did not need to know while I was sleeping. I know these things happen and they were very apologetic and even gave me a few free beers while I was waiting to get the door opened, but I thought it was something worth reporting here. They also gave me a free breakfast and a bag of assorted drinks and nuts.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear tvneal,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your stay. I am so sorry about the incident with your key cards as well as waking you up so early. Please know that your comments are important to us and we will address these issues. Your feedback is critical to the success of this hotel and gives our leadership direction on how we can improve our delivery and recognize our valued associates. We are glad that we were able to provide additional amenities to make the remainder of your stay more comfortable. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Thank you again and hope you will return soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Hotel was clean. Loved the Alabama football decor. Room was clean, bed comfortable and room decor was nice. Missing from this hotel is the friendliness that we have come to expect when we visit the south. The staff was professional and stiff, for lack of a better word. The breakfast is NOT complimentary. At a charge of 9.95 each we would have had to spend an additional $50 for our family to have breakfast. There are other hotels in the immediate area that would offer a complimentary breakfast for the price we paid to stay here. Next time we will be staying there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Renee608_11,

We are very happy that you were pleased with your accommodations here at the Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa. Our guest reviews are very valuable to us, as they give us even more opportunities to please our guests. We would love the opportunity to serve you again in the future. We do have a wonderful "Bed and Breakfast" Package available that will include breakfast. We offer a full cooked-to-order breakfast with unlimited refills, and think you and your family would thoroughly enjoy it. We appreciate you staying with us, and look forward to having the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

The room was clean and housekeeping kept it that way. The bed was comfortable. The room was pleasant enough, but not a stand-out for decor. Staff was very friendly, housekeeping even left a note wishing me a safe trip home. They did have a complimentary breakfast (you get a coupon at check-in) that included all the usuals (even grits!) and a cooked-to-order egg. There was a coffee urn in the lobby in the evenings. We were there for the once a month evening "party" with drinks and crawfish. A good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jim K,

Thank you for making us your home away from home during your stay in Tuscaloosa!

We were happy to have you as our guest and hope we will have the chance to welcome you back in the future. If you ever have questions or need assistance with reservations, please don't hesitate to reach out and let us know.

Starkville, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

This is a good choice if you're on the road. Visible from Interstate, a lot of chain restaurants on the surrounding frontage roads (burgers, pancakes, steaks). I think it's typical of this chain. Rooms are certainly adequate: typical Hilton beds, fridge, microwave, etc. I happened to be there when they were finishing the upgrade of their wifi. By the time I left, it was completed. Front desk staff was friendly and efficient. I had a coffee maker in my room, so not real sure what the folks who complained about "no coffee" had to face. Didn't try the restaurant, so won't comment. A bit cheaper than the two Hampton Inns in Tuscaloosa, which may be why they don't offer a complimentary breakfast. One odd note: there was no clock (and therefore no alarm) in the room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Papa_Sid,

Thank you so much for staying with us in Tuscaloosa, Alabama! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly! We pride ourselves on our high standards regarding cleanliness, friendliness, and attention to detail, and we greatly appreciate your feedback.
We look very forward to seeing you on your next trip to Tuscaloosa, and cannot wait to serve you again soon.

John Henderson

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Tuscaloosa? Share your experiences!