“Tuscaloosa's Best in Traditional Fine Dining” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kozy's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 222 Restaurants in Tuscaloosa
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Tuscaloosa's Best in Traditional Fine Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

As a Tuscaloosa resident who's done a lot of traveling and fine dining in many cities across the US, I've considered Kozy's as one of the top two fine dining estabalishments (Epiphany with it's farm-to-market fare being the other) for many years.

Kozy's is a quaint, romantic restautant nestled in an older residential area of eastern Tuscaloosa. On Thursday I was there they had live piano and jazz playing. The time before, Senator Richard Shelby was there entertaining in the back room.

Once we were seated I put the bartender to the test, ordering an O'l Fashioned. In my experience few bartenders get it right, but Kozy's mixologist proved that he knew what he was doing.
My wife and I shared the button mushroom caps stuffed with Angus beef tenderloin with a red Wine Demi-Glace sauce topped with a little aged Gruyere cheese for an appetizer. The portion was large enough for each of us to share with 8 large mushrooms stuffed with beef tenderloin with a rich demi-glace sauce. The caesar salad we shared met our expectations. My entree was the tuna au poivre which was blue-fin tuna finished with a cognac cream Sauce served with parmesan risotto and grilled asparagus. Each component was exquisite and complemented the others. My wife had the salmon special of the day which she enjoyed and was cooked properly.

Our attractive server was gracious, and knew the dishes. Our drink orders were taken promptly, but after five minutes we had not received menus and had to ask. The check when delivered was incorrect, reflecting a third entree. (I'd ordered the seared scallops initially, but changed when the waitress reported that the chef had reported that they weren't up to his standard and didn't want to serve them; the waitress hadn't removed the charge.)

I am resolved to make the drive to Kozy's more often. For "traditional" fine dining in a nice setting (i.e., most of the entrees come with a sauce which isn't the case at Epiphany) , Kozy's offers the best in Tuscaloosa.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Alabama
“Great place for date night!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Quiet and intiment setting with quality food and drinks.

“Mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The entrees were good, just not those prices good, salad was a bit wilted and they have to have dim lighting so you can't see the black painted press board walls.

Even after over a 100$ just for food, we still had to get fast food right after we left because we were still hungry.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Perfect dining experience... What more can I say”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife and I have visited Kozy's many times and it is, by far, our favorite Tuscaloosa restaurant. While that may not say alot, we have eaten in restaurants from New York to Tahiti, and I will stack it up against any of them. The service is top of the line and makes you feel like you are in a 5-star Manhattan restaurant. The food is in the same category (their molasses salmon is the best salmon I have ever had ANYWHERE). Finally the ambiance is just what the name suggests... C(K)ozy, intimate, romantic... I could go on, but just leave it with, if you are looking for a fine dining experience in Tuscaloosa, this is IT.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

The food and service were quite good. This was our first trip to Kozy's but will not be our last. We split the mushroom and oyster appetizer. My wife had the lamb, med rare and I chose the duck, also medium rare. Both dishes were excellent. Dessert was a shared chocolate bread pudding, that was good. I think we would skip next time. Limited wine selection, but adequate. One minor issue is the parking lot leaves some room for improvement. I would advise to make reservations, as we visited on a Thursday evening and they were very busy. Worth the trip.

• Visited December 2011