“Weekend in Tuscaloosa” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa

You added Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa to your Saves list
Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4808 Skyland Blvd. E., I-20 & I-59 Exit 76, Tuscaloosa, AL 35405   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
O'Fallon, Missouri, United States
“Weekend in Tuscaloosa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel is in need of some upkeep (i.e. paint and caulk), but it is overall very clean. The rooms were a good size and the bathrrom bigger than expected. The breakfast was Ok for free. didn't eat there but they had fresh fruit, muffins, bread and bagels. Stayed friday and Saturday nights, and overall it was a good stay. For the price you can't beat it! Especially during football seacon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in May. Upon checking in the room I was greeted by 2 roaches!! My room was very dirty!! The sheets appeared to not have been washed. This is the nastiest hotel in the world!!!!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

After driving 10 hours from Cleveland, OH, we decided to rest for the night before continuing onto Baton Rouge, LA. Howard Johnson seemed to be the ideal spot until we opened the door to our room. Low and behold, as we opened the door, we were swarmed by an army of roaches. Our visit lasted 5 minutes.

• Stayed May 2012
Cohutta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel is clean and clean. The rooms were sufficient sized. The bathroom bigger than expected.
The complimentary breakfast was a little meager. The fruit a little wrinkled, only bread and bagels, mini donuts and mini muffins.
I had to ask the desk clerk, Rene, for the coffee to be filled. The tables and counter were sticky and dirty. No paper towels by the sink to use for clean up. Another man asked if she would get more milk and then asked if she was going to put anything else out and she said "I am working on it", however, she went right back to her computer.
The rudeness of the clerk won't stop me from staying again, but I will take a bath cloth from my room to at least be able to clean a table off.
Good stay for the money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband, toddler and I were on our way to visit family on the Gulf Coast. We were only an hour from home when it began to rain heavily. It was already late and we decided to try an exit and find a hotel for the night. We ran in to check the rates of a couple hotels nearby and I wasn't that thrilled with any of them. At the Howard Johnson there was a very sweet man that gave me rates and details about rooms that I was interested in. We got a room near the lobby. Check in took maybe two minutes. It was clean and tidy! I admit I was scared of what we were getting ourselves into but was so relieved. The room was pretty big too. My toddler loved running around (quietly of course) and we had a comfortable, quiet nights sleep. We had no view haha except the fence separating us from a gas station but even with that we hardly heard a peep! Don't know what's up with the bad reviews. It was $60. It's not going to be the Crown Plaza people!!! A comfortable room at a great rate. If we are ever in the same situation on the road we know where to stop!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Mobile, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I travel often for work and this hotel's service was the worst I've heard experienced. I have NEVER posted a negative review about a hotel but I can't let this one slide. When I attempted to check-in at 10pm they my reservation for the wrong week, and you would think that since I had booked 5 nights they would take care of me. Not only did they refuse to change my reservation to the correct week, they explained that I "could book this week for this price" meaning a much more expensive rate. I offered to pay a transfer fee, I called the corporate office - to no avail. The worst part was that the front desk clerk spoke to the hotel manager multiple times on the phone but would not allow me to speak to him! Really?! Finally, I begged my credit card company to revoke the charge. The lobby was filthy, as were the windows and parking lot. The clerk was disheveled and the Manager was, well, unhelpful at best. I wouldn't stay there and would ask you to do the same.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa? Share your experiences!