“ball game” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa to your Saves list
Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4808 Skyland Blvd. E., I-20 & I-59 Exit 76, Tuscaloosa, AL 35405   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Tuscaloosa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in May. Upon checking in the room I was greeted by 2 roaches!! My room was very dirty!! The sheets appeared to not have been washed. This is the nastiest hotel in the world!!!!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

After driving 10 hours from Cleveland, OH, we decided to rest for the night before continuing onto Baton Rouge, LA. Howard Johnson seemed to be the ideal spot until we opened the door to our room. Low and behold, as we opened the door, we were swarmed by an army of roaches. Our visit lasted 5 minutes.

• Stayed May 2012
Cohutta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel is clean and clean. The rooms were sufficient sized. The bathroom bigger than expected.
The complimentary breakfast was a little meager. The fruit a little wrinkled, only bread and bagels, mini donuts and mini muffins.
I had to ask the desk clerk, Rene, for the coffee to be filled. The tables and counter were sticky and dirty. No paper towels by the sink to use for clean up. Another man asked if she would get more milk and then asked if she was going to put anything else out and she said "I am working on it", however, she went right back to her computer.
The rudeness of the clerk won't stop me from staying again, but I will take a bath cloth from my room to at least be able to clean a table off.
Good stay for the money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband, toddler and I were on our way to visit family on the Gulf Coast. We were only an hour from home when it began to rain heavily. It was already late and we decided to try an exit and find a hotel for the night. We ran in to check the rates of a couple hotels nearby and I wasn't that thrilled with any of them. At the Howard Johnson there was a very sweet man that gave me rates and details about rooms that I was interested in. We got a room near the lobby. Check in took maybe two minutes. It was clean and tidy! I admit I was scared of what we were getting ourselves into but was so relieved. The room was pretty big too. My toddler loved running around (quietly of course) and we had a comfortable, quiet nights sleep. We had no view haha except the fence separating us from a gas station but even with that we hardly heard a peep! Don't know what's up with the bad reviews. It was $60. It's not going to be the Crown Plaza people!!! A comfortable room at a great rate. If we are ever in the same situation on the road we know where to stop!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Mobile, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I travel often for work and this hotel's service was the worst I've heard experienced. I have NEVER posted a negative review about a hotel but I can't let this one slide. When I attempted to check-in at 10pm they my reservation for the wrong week, and you would think that since I had booked 5 nights they would take care of me. Not only did they refuse to change my reservation to the correct week, they explained that I "could book this week for this price" meaning a much more expensive rate. I offered to pay a transfer fee, I called the corporate office - to no avail. The worst part was that the front desk clerk spoke to the hotel manager multiple times on the phone but would not allow me to speak to him! Really?! Finally, I begged my credit card company to revoke the charge. The lobby was filthy, as were the windows and parking lot. The clerk was disheveled and the Manager was, well, unhelpful at best. I wouldn't stay there and would ask you to do the same.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Franklin, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

Well, I haven't stayed in a Howard Johnson's in over 10 years, and now I remember why. It was NOT a good deal for the money. I would give it ONE star, but the room itself was spacious with a microwave and fridge and large bathroom. I didn't notice, but my husband said the A/C didn't work well, and he got a terrible night's sleep. The mattress was cheap and hard, and towels were few. One thing that is important to us in a hotel is Internet access, and unfortunately our connection never worked here. My husband called the front desk when we couldn't get it to work, and they offered an information sheet on how to do it. Again, no luck. Due to the late hour, we decided to forego the Internet, but that was definitely a minus. I hoped that the complimentary breakfast would make up for that. I couldn't have been more WRONG! You know what I remember from the last time I stayed at a HoJo, the terrible breakfast. Well, nothing has changed. What I found in the lobby was (and I know I can fit it all in this space), 2 kinds of powdered donuts, 2 kinds of cereal (corn flakes and raisin bran) in dispensers, coffee, bread slices and bagels in keepers, and my "favorite"--communal milk, orange juce, butter, jelly, and a tub of cream cheese for all to dip their spoons and share. Oh yeah, that just screams class-squeezable butter and squirt jelly and a tub of generic cream cheese. I thought that was kind of hick 15 years ago, and it still it. That pretty much put the nail in the coffin. We stayed in a Jameson Inn for $30 cheaper on the way up. This HoJo was comparably priced with other hotels like Comfort Inn, Ramada, La Quinta, in the area, and I feel pretty certain I wouldn't have been sharing a jug of milk and carton of cream cheese at those breakfasts. I thought all the HoJos were out of business, and frankly, I hope they will be soon. If it hadn't of been so late, we would've looked elsewhere. Unless this is your only hope, stay somewhere else or at least demand a decent room rate. Never again.

Stayed July 2006
happyhojo, Owner at Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, April 26, 2010
Howard Johnson Inn is located in 4808 Skyland Blvd. East; Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35405. It is under a new management since 2006 November.

Just saw In the 2006 review. It is false and property is not in 4810 Skyland Blvd. (The hotel name is different at that address).

Many guest were upset about the review you advertised mixing with other property. As a matter of fact more guest happy to stay here than before after they found the review. They all knew it was not true and they found out them selves.

Check, investigate before you advertise false statemnets. Thanks!

Been to Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa? Share your experiences!