“It's An Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Elko, Nevada
“It's An Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Nicks-in-the-Sticks as I fondly remember it, isn't really about high quality food, but rather, an overall experience. My mom ate here back in the 70's when she was in college at UA so she took me when I went there. Every time I've ever been there, it's always been a two hour wait. Impatient foodies probably would blow a gasket for waiting so long. The wait area outside is nice and even during cold months, there are heaters provided to stay warm. The restaurant is a tiny shack out in the sticks. The last time I ate there, I don't believe there was even a sign for it. You just knew where it was because of all the people and cars. The signature drink to get while waiting for your table is the Nicodemus or formerly the Zombie as my mom remembers it. It's a tasty vodka-based cocktail that is served in a medium-sized styrofoam cup. I've had many great conversations with friends, family, and even other patrons while waiting outside. Once inside, the restaurant has a very old-timey atmosphere. The service is great too. The food isn't anything to jump up and down over, but it's still pretty good. I've always ordered the small filet, which comes bacon-wrapped with a side of baked potato, salad, and rolls. It's served on little wooden/metal trays. I recall a few friends commenting that the food wasn't worth the wait, but the overall experience was a fun one. It's not for everyone, but I've always enjoyed it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“extremely disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have never written a review for a restaurant before, but after eating here I can't help myself. After reading so many great reviews about this place, my boyfriend and I decided to go for supper. Well, I don't know if we just had a bad server or what, but I do not understand what is so great about Nick's. Our server was extremely rude. He would just drop our food on the table without looking at us or saying anything. The food was okay, even though he messed up our order at first. And they tried to overcharge us when we paid. I guess we just had a bad experience, but I was extremely disappointed after all of the hype I've seen on some reviews. We will never eat here again.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Worth the detour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We took our in laws here and no one left unhappy. The mixed drinks are dangerous and great. Everything is more than reasonably priced and the quality is such that you would gladly pay more for. The server was very friendly and attentive too.

Townsend, Tennessee
“You have too get used to it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Nicks is a short 10 minute drive out of tuscaloosa. It is in an old building, very small and few close tables (great for ease dropping).
The steaks are small but thick. They come with a potato and bread- good to eat and a very fair price. Get the onion rings - great - very crispy.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mobile, Alabama
“Best Steak Deal Ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I went to Nick's on Wednesday night with a group of four business companions. The whole experience was top notch. Sure the place is small, old and has wobbly tables, but the whole experience works. The wait staff is very normal, as if they are not interested in hustling tips, but assuring you are pleased with your decision. The beer was cold, we had the signature Nicademus drinks, which were sort of like Hurricanes, but better and excellent steaks.

Where else can you have a great ribeye, side and salad for under $15.00? The onion rings were excellent and on a side note even though the restaurant was busy the staff did not rush us at all. Just an overall great experience.

• Visited October 2013