“Surprising level of customer service.” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 McFarland Boulevard, Tuscaloosa, AL 35611   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Tuskaloosa, AL
“Surprising level of customer service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I not only travel a bit, I produce radio programming that is travel/entertainment/culinary based. I've stayed in very high end luxury properties and cheap little dives, as well. Look...every property has an issue or two. Some are major and unforgivable in the lodging industry and some are the result of just normal usage and go unreported by one guest to the property but are discovered by the next. Maintenance, no doubt, catches most through their regular inspection of the guest rooms/facilities. Not always.
I recently found myself in Tuscaloosa quite unexpectedly and needing a room for two nights. ABVI had the most competitive rate. I opened the door to my room and was somewhat surprised at the level of room for the money. It was clean and well attended to by housekeeping. My towels were really white and clean and smelled good! (I'm a bit of a freak about that) A microwave and fridge are always a huge bonus for me as I often find myself collecting local food or beverage to enjoy in my room later or on the road home. Both were clean and worked fine. Since I find it hard to roll out in the morning without my bean, it was nice to have a coffee maker in the room, too. The lobby doesn't serve a big breakfast with an omelette bar or waffle iron (that drive up your room rate), but they do offer fresh coffee and decaf, toast, cereal, juice and packaged pastries.
The issues I encountered in my room were pretty basic. Two of the lamps needed a little attention and the cord on the room phone (which I rarely use) wouldn't stay clipped in the handset. Also, the internet was down. When I called the front desk, I first thought the clerk was trying to get rid of me, but she explained she wanted to get me off the phone so she could actually come to my room and take a quick inventory of the issues herself!
The front desk clerk showed up minutes later, apologized for my inconvenience, took notes on my issues and looked around to make sure everything else was in order, apologized again for the invasion of my space and promised I'd have my rooms problems addressed. There was another knock on my room door soon after and I thought perhaps she'd forgotten something, but it was actually maintenance coming to fix my lamps already! The router issue was addressed soon after and all was good!
All in all, you don't ALWAYS get what you pay for. This time I feel like I was well taken care of beyond what I paid. The staff was great and well displayed that famous Southern Hospitality. If you can hack that 'Bama humidity, there's great food within walking distance if you had to, a quick drive if you can, and trust me, if you ask the staff for recommendations on 'what' to eat 'where' locally you won't be disappointed!

**FOOTBALL FANS TAKE NOTE!**
The only delay I had at the front desk was the phone ringing off the hook from 'Bama fans with a home game coming up! This, apparently is 'the' favorite fan hotel in Tuscaloosa so book early if you're going to a game!

Oh yeah, one more thing I learned on my stay here..."ROLL TIDE!"

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Olmito, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My daughters and I stayed here last week. The room was a decent size, but most importantly was cheap and clean. I would stay here again without hesitation. The breakfast was pretty weak, so don't expect too much there. The guy at the desk was friendly and helpful. Not luxurious but fair, clean and affrordable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Overall this is not a bad hotel. The first night we checked in they gave us a single bed when I had asked for a double. We were so tired we didn't even unload the car we all just piled onto one bed and crashed. The next day we got up and got a double bed room. They put us in a smoking room that smelled like mildew even though I specifically asked for a non-smoking room (later that day someone was shampooing the carpet in the mildewed room). They switched me to a non-smoking double bed room. While a bit annoying to switch rooms at least the staff was willing to fix the problems.

The breakfast was not what was pictured in the photos, there was only bread, jelly, danishes in a bag (disgusting) and apple juice (they were out of orange juice.) The beds sit on home made 2x6 frames, but it works just fine. Other than the room with a mildew smell the hotel did seem clean although there were several cosmetic things that needed fixed like loose tiles, a broken hanger, and a bathroom door that locks on its own (which the staff has no way to unlock by the way.)

This was by no means a high end hotel, and that's not what you pay for. It is however a clean comfortable and affordable place to stay. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Top deck on the side facing Gander Mountain are the best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Midwest City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Disgusting does not begin to describe it!!!!! Hotels were filled due to a camp so we gave it a shot!! Checked in, crept into the nasty moldy bathroom with wet slimy, sticky floors and closed our eyes to use the facilities. An added bonus was the toilet paper holder falling out of the wall. Wore our shoes and hoodies to lay on the beds. We did not want the covers touching us. Pulled the soiled chair in front of the door for added protection and discovered a filthy little assortment of cold sore cream, used make up and dirt. We laid across the bed for about 30 min. and I asked my family..."who would rather sleep in the car" We all jumped up like we were going to Disneyworld and high tailed it out of there!!!!! We found a nice hotel at midnight with one king bed and the whole family squeezed in that bed with not one complaint. I did not even stop for a refund at the other place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Douglasville, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

There was human feces in the bathroom mold in the tub sink was dirty flors had not been vacurmed the TV didn't work and no towels in the room was digusting!!!! house cleaning did not speak english They offered to bring me cleaner so I could clean the room myself. There was not a manager on duty!! When I try to call the Onwer he preteds to be someone else! I would not recommend any one stay here!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gulf Shores, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Housekeeping Beat Our Door so hard at EIGHT AM, We thought we were being broken into (we had a Do Not Disturb Sign On Our Door).
Sheets did not stay on the mattress. AC Worked Good. ABC Store Across the street, waffle house in the parking lot, and shrimp basket is in front as well.
It's what we needed for game weekend, nothing more.
A lady helped me on the phone for checkin she was above and beyond nice. The rest of the staff was nice as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here like four times and it's perfect for me, my room was clean and i had a mini fridge and a microwave, cable tv, hot water and free wifi and everything worked perfect,
Friendly staff, convenient parking, room in good condition, Restaurants close by,
i did not feel unsafe. The hotel staff was very helpful and made me feel very secure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business