“Wish we had tried Tin Top sooner” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #49 of 239 Restaurants in Tuscaloosa
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: The Tin Top in Tuscaloosa, AL opened in August 2010. It's the 2nd Tin Top. The first is in Bon Secour, AL and opened around 2004. Both are excellent!
Boise, Idaho
“Wish we had tried Tin Top sooner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Tin Top is in a small shopping center (Shops of North River) out of town near the lake. We shop there often for groceries but never tried Tin Top until last night. WOW. Our food was fabulous. We were there early so we were seated immediately. Our server was excellent. Took our order right away. The food took a while to make it to the table but it was definitely worth the wait.

I had the King Salmon along with Gouda Grits and Friend Green Tomatoes. The salmon was HUGE and cooked to perfection, there was plenty to share with my husband. The sauce was spicy and complimented the fish perfectly. This southern girl knows good fried green tomatoes when she has them and these were some of the best. Not greasy at all, great breading on them. LOVED THEM! The Gouda grits were good, I will agree with a previous reviewer that they were heavy on the pepper but very good nonetheless.

My husband had the ribeye. I tasted it and it had a wonderful flavor. He commented on how much he enjoyed the steak and he too had the fried green tomatoes. We finished the meal with the creme brulee. It was good but not great. Heavy on the flavor of amaretto and not as smooth and lite as we like. Overall, we think we may have found our new favorite restaurant in Tuscaloosa. The prices are comparable to other seafood restaurants in Tuscaloosa. The two of us ate a simply wonderful meal for just over $50. We will be back.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Alabama
“Not bad but a bit pricey.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The selection of food is good however the prices are high and service is slow.

Northport, Alabama
“Never received my food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Granted we were a group is 12, but 3 of us never got our food after being therefor about 1 1/2 hours. The waiter came by and asked if there was anything else we needed and we told him 3 of us still didn't have our food and I only ordered steamed shrimp. That was my second and last time to go to Tin Top In Tuscaloosa. The first time I only got part of my meal. For the price and service, it just isn't worth it.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Good food, but definitely overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012 via mobile

I have been to Tin Top in Tuscaloosa 3 times, and each experience was the same. The food is very tasty, although not exactly fine dining (lots of fried seafood, baked oysters etc.) Normally I like that type of food and, again, the food here is not the problem.

The problem is when you take a very good beachside restaurant from South Alabama and plant a sister restaurant in a strip center development in Tuscaloosa, AL, you lose the whole flavor of what makes the original a good place. Add on top that you are still charging beachside prices and you end up with a mediocre dining experience with good seafood that is WAY overpriced for this area. If you want good fried seafood in Tuscaloosa go to Wintzell's instead. The food as about the same, but at least you get a view of the river instead of a parking lot and the cost will be between a third to half lower.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Great Seafood and Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The seafood here rivals restuarants found on the coast. The prices aren't terrible but enough to keep me from going too often. I've only been once but the whole group enjoyed it.

I plan to go here for my next "big occasion" dinner.

Visited October 2011