“Nothing Special, save your money & appetite” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 56 Restaurants in Trussville
Cuisines: Barbecue
BAllentrae, Pelham, Alabaster, Alabama
“Nothing Special, save your money & appetite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Looked up the menu for a nearby Golden Rule restaurant in Trussville, and picked out some healthier options on a whim, and decided to take my lunchbreak at GR. I get there just after the lunch crowd rush, and its still pretty busy. Average age was 55 or so, mostly men, seated at tables. No counter to sit at or even a single young waitress, as I’d seen at other GR’s. Reminded me of an old cafeteria for seniors, so I decided then and there to order my stuff to take back to my office.

I looked at the "lunch buffet" items for some vegetable sides, and everything looked cold, dried out, or just the gross bottom scrapings remained. Even the mac n cheese was disturbing to see. So I opted for corn and, since everything else is fried anyway, decided on French fries.

Service was pretty quick, and the cashier seemed sorta friendly, but when she charged me for my lil’ bbq sandwich and 2 sides, the price was higher than what the on-line menu had said.

The sandwich was a bit small, hardly had BBQ taste or sauce, but the corn on the cob was great ! It looked like 1/3 of a cob, not buttered or salted. The French fries I think were the worst I’ve had in over 10 years. They were the thin, brown style fries, soggy, oily and cold. No salt. Just pools of greasy oil running off mushy brown fries. In the garbage they went. So for about $7, I found myself about $2 of soul food with 10 minutes of Southern hospitality.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham, AL
“Last on my list for BBQ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The bbq chicken sandwich was dry, like jerky. It was as though it had been chopped and sitting under a heat lamp for some time. The potato salad tasted like pre-packaged, not good. Go elsewhere for good BBQ.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
The Woodlands, Texas
“BBQ good. Lemon Ice Box pie unbelievable!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My dad swears there is something added to their vinegar based sauce to make it addictive. The bbq was good, and all of the sauces were great, but I cannot tell you how amazing the Lemon Ice Box pie was. Oh my goodness....
Also, portion sizes are not so big that you feel miserably full after eating. The service was okay, but who cares? It's bbq.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Trussville, Alabama, United States
“Best in town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

The people wher very nice ,took order promply, food was hot and very good. great location.

Washington, Michigan
“Needed some BBQ when this northern went south...glad I did!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Don't have many GOOD BBQ here in the North so I took the opportunity to partake in Pell City. Had such a great BBQ dinner at Golden Rule had to go back for lunch the next day before flight back to Detroit. Glad I did, and when I return this will be one of the first stops.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere