“Watch out” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Trussville
Cookeville, Tennessee
“Watch out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is the first time I have stayed at this hotel. I usually travel on into Brimingham. The lady at the desk was very friendly. The first room I was given had either been occupied or not cleaned. The second room was better until i got in the shower. The cleaning crew had left shampoo and soap from previous guest and the shower had hairs on the wall. The drain in the tube would not stay open The internet was very slow and the TV channel selection was laim. The only premium channel had no sound. After about two hours in this room, I was wishing I had traveled on into Birmingham.

Room Tip: The Holiday Inn at the Birmingham Airport is not bad. I have stayed there many times.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I routinely stay at HI-Trussville atleast once a week on business travel. The staff always makes sure to accomodate everything I need and if there's ever any problems, they always make sure the problem is resolved. Breakfast is always good, rooms are always clean, and the location is always a plus. Trussville has everything a traveler needs from Wal-Mart to a gym to nice restaurants. I recommend this hotel if you're traveling I-59. A helpful tip for health buffs- when checking into the hotel, request a pass for the YMCA from the front desk.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Stayed there for three nights and found the rooms to be average Holiday Inn Express quality. They were clean, spacious and the A/C worked well. One nice touch was a ceiling fan over the bed. Door banging at night could definitely keep a light sleeper awake. The atrium was always hot (it was upper 90's outside) and the breakfast's were good. The location isn't the best, as it's sorta isolated on a service road. There is lot's of traffic in Trussville, don't be in a hurry to go anywhere.

The staff was initially not very friendly nor welcoming, particularly a lady who appeared to be a manager. Her assistant, perhaps taking a lead from the boss, wasn't much better - but warmed nicely later and turned out to be very friendly.

All in all a nice enough hotel, no complaints.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stopped here for one night while driviving. It seemed to be a safe location very close to the highway.
The staff was nice. check in was quick. The room was clean. All The housekeeping staff that I met were very nice.
A very nice girl was running the breakfast area and made me feel at home. i will stop again next time through the area.

Room Tip: best to stay on the second floor on up. Can be a little noisy around the breakfast area
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed here last night because it was close to Birmingham airport (7 miles). Here are the positives:
1. It is clean
2. Location is good and restaurants are close by. The Birmingham Y is directly across the street but the hotel does have a decent fitness room
3. Staff is friendly (except for one, as indicated below)
4. Breakfast is very good

Here are my critiques:
1. A young woman checked me in and was not up on her customer service skills. A man ahead of me left unhappy but I couldn't tell what the discussion was. An hour later, after I had problems with the business center's printer, I asked if she'd print my boarding pass. She looked at the very-faint copy I showed her and said, "I can read this" and wouldn't budge when I showed her the number and letter were missing. And she had a printer right beside her! As we walked out to dinner, a man was asking about the t.v. stations because evidently it showed ESPN on one guide and ESPN2 on another. She pointedly told him to read the guide - and he left unhappy.
I will follow this by adding that this morning, the front desk manager named Danny readily printed my boarding pass.
2. The internet was very sporadic. I kept losing the connection and had to keep re-connecting, which ate up a lot of my time. When I was on, it was slow, so not sure if this is an ongoing thing.

Have to say that I walked into the Jameson Inn which is across the street next to the Lone Star where we ate and the manager told us about the hotel (I'd never stayed at one) and told us he would have given us a $77 walk-in rate (and we'd paid $98.10 at HI online for the Holiday Inn) - so if I do travel that way again, I'll be staying at Jameson Inn.

Room Tip: First floor is close to the fitness center, lobby and breakfast area.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Trussville, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear ncftx,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We are also very sorry for the problems you experienced with our internet service. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,
Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
saggamore hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

My Husband and I stayed here on our way to Florida for our honeymoon. He surprised me with a stay in the hotel's Presidential Suite and I must say it was amazing! The suite was huge, clean and modern and had skylights! Plus a HUGE jacuzzi tub! Needless to say we had a very romantic evening.
The hotel itself is surrounded by many places to eat and shop. The property was clean and modern. The front desk people were very friendly and even gave us fresh baked cookies upon our arrival!
And to top it off we filled our bellies with an amazing complimentary breakfast. I had fresh pancakes, bacon, fruit and orange juice. (I fell asleep as soon as we headed for Florida.)
will def. stay again if the opportunity ever arises. Check out the suite you will love it!

Room Tip: Ask for the presidential suite for any special occasion or just to surprise your loved one!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
HIExpress35173, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Trussville, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for your gracious review! We at the Holiday Inn Express in Trussville strive to make all of our guests' stay a pleasant one.
We congratulate you on your nuptials and invite you to come back and visit us for your Anniversary!
Wendy K Wilfong
Sales Manager
Holiday Inn Express
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Husband and I stayed here for a few nights in December 2011. He was in Birmingham on business. I will note the glaring negative aspects first: First, the front desk staff was very unimpressive. When we arrived, the flighty young blonde one was recounting to her male co-worker some drama from her personal life. She seemed unconcerned about giving us a good location - a quiet room, for which I specifically asked. And she specifically didn't give us a quiet room. It would have been too much trouble to look for I guess. The whole check in time she continued to discuss her personal life with the co-worker. (!) Her male co-worker was unconcerned with us in general and had an air of perhaps an intellectual who is only working there till a university teaching job becomes available. There was no welcome or connect at all. And during our stay, when we were coming and going, and walking past the front desk, not one time did one of them look up and smile or seem welcoming at all.

Second, the breakfast was not good, though free. The coffee was just awful, and they couldn't even manage to have one edible banana for the cereal the whole time we were there. The boxed cereal was the highest quality item that was featured in their breakfast lineup.

Third, from the sounds in the hallway and in the breakfast area, you would think you were in Mexico City. A constant barage of yip-yapping in spanish, and hooting and loud laughter from the cleaning girls talking in the halls, calling from one room to the next to each other. I would just as soon not hear all this when I am in my hotel room, or walking through the lobby.

I am generously giving this hotel two stars because the room cleanliness was acceptable most days. And the room did not have a loud perfumey-chemical- cleaner smell like some hotels. And the hotel was in a fairly good location; seemed safe and was close to some nice grocery stores and shopping areas.

Room Tip: Well, unless you like airplanes flying over your room every few minutes, I would avoid the side faci...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Sir or Madam,
I would like to thank you for your sincerity in your review. We at Holiday Inn Express in Trussville truly want every stay for our guest to be a great stay. I am saddened to find out that your stay with us was less than stellar. The points you have made in your review will be attended to. Updated training will be provided for the staff.
We invite you to come back and visit us one day in the hopes of amending this situation and giving you the stay and services you truly deserve.
Wendy K Wilfong
Holiday Inn Express
Sales Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Trussville? Share your experiences!