“Fun travel stop coming from Georgia” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Shorter
Montgomery, Alabama
5 attraction reviews
“Fun travel stop coming from Georgia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

Having recently moved back to the West Coast, I truly miss this great stop on my road trips to Alabama from Georgia. I used to live outside of Atlanta, Georgia and visited family in Montgomery as often as possible, which was about a 3 hour drive one-way. The food in the greyhound racetrack area was always tasty, hot and reasonably priced. Service was hit or miss, but who cares when you're having fun enjoying yourself at the casino. Loved the ice cream spot there as well, and happy with the nonsmoking areas and extensive parking available. I guess I was one of the luckier ones when it came to winnings, along with my relatives, who would join me. I have never spent more than $200 in here, but have always won at least $500 or more. My favorite to play are the penny machines. I can easily hit up Las Vegas nowadays, which is about a 45-minute flight from where I am now (San Diego, CA), but I will still have fond memories for this spot in Shorter, AL, which was still a whole lot of fun!

Too bad for all the problems between the casino owners and the governmental powers that be, and hope that gets resolved soon, especially for all the employees!

Newnan, Ga.
“DISGUSTING!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

My husband and I live in Georgia and enjoy coming to play the bingo machines (slots), but no matter when we come, WE NEVER WIN! We never hear of anyone winning unless they announce 1-3 winners of 1000 or 2000, but we certainly never win. I think the machines are extremely tight. It is very disgusting to hear about the feud between the governor and the owner of Victoryland. Good Grief! Just close permanently or open! I feel sorry for the employees who are jerked back and forth. Why can you people not reach a decision? Either the machines are legal or they are not. Who is in charge here??????

Dothan, Alabama
“i love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

i have a great time there at victoryland. i spent 5 dollars and won 8,600.00 dollars. it helped me out so much.ever time i go i always come home with more money than i came with. i watch what i do and if i feel the machine is not gonna pay a little something than i leave that machine. i watch other people and see how long they stay at a machine and what they have put in it as far as money. when they get up than i sit down and try my luck. but this is something you never know about. i pray and wish good luck to all and just have a great time. god bless us all. marie

Columbus, GA
“Lame attempt at being a Casino!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

This place is a lame attempt at being a casino, I've been coming to "Victoryland" for quite a few years and its payouts from the "bingo" slots have been none exsistant for the last several years. I've been unable to hit a decent payout no matter how much money I feed into these machines! And why are the machines constantly being reset, they'll spin and spin and spin, especially if the person playing is starting win a little money! A real casino actually will publish their win / loss ratios on a monthly basis, no one knows what this guy makes (profits) in a year, but I'm sure everyone would be surprised at the staggering amount of this "Casino's" profits. I'd rather be in Biloxi or Vegas anytime!

USA
“Oasis Hotel is Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

We got a great room at this new hotel for $92. It's all non-smoking but no coffeemakers in the room. Starbucks coffee in the lobby for $2.15. Staff is exceptionally friendly. Breakfast buffet is $9 but service was practically non-existent. I asked who the two women were who'd been standing around the hour I had waited for a coffee refill and found they were supervisors. Casino allows smoking but is exceptionally well ventilated. Don't expect too much in the "Clubhouse" (watching the greyhounds race). The food is actually very good but service is hit-and-miss. It's crowded and reservations are confusing to say the least. and unless you know "Lucille" (as obviously most African Americans seem to) don't expect a good seat. Overall, most staff and patrons were very friendly. but when you are waiting for a cashier to get your change, you have to wait until they finish their conversation with the other employees until you get your money. There is a pattern here but you can quickly figure it out for yourself - and it's not exclusive to Victoryland.