“NASTY NASTY HORRIBLE” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Selma
Detroit, Michigan
“NASTY NASTY HORRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

When I arrived to this hotel and walked in the Lobby,I smelled this awful smell it smelled like the floor had been cleaned with a dirty mop,and it also smelled like moth balls. My husband went to go use the public bathroom that they had in the lobby and said there was a big hole in the ceiling,he also stated that both urinals was broken and was filled up with piss.So when we got to our room the rooms smelled really bad they were not clean I wouldnt let my pet sleep there,We had to be moved several times and in each room it was the same result. The room was full of mold white towels looking like they were brown roaches in the room lizards crawling all around the property it was just awful we stayed there that night,The breakfast was ok until me and my husband noticed there was roaches crawling all over the buffet,to top it off we seen a rat run across the floor.When we asked if we could be refunded our money the answer was no cause we slept in the room this hotel is ran by a group of Indians.This hotel should be shut down torn down I meant to say,Why is the Health Department not doing anything about this Hotel.

Room Tip: dont stay here u might get sick from how dirty the rooms are this shouldnt be called a hotel it shou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I thought the hotel was nice. Very clean as if it was newly renovated. Not sure what year it was built but I was highly pleased with the hotel's cleanliness.

We had a room on the 2nd floor facing the front of the hotel.

In our room, there were a few spots on the wall that were newly painted and you could see it appeared to be the same color of the other paint but was a shade lighter. I think they should have painted the entire wall so it would be seamless. Anyway this was minor.

The furniture was nice, the bed extremely comfortable. The pillow cases looked like someone had laid on them but this could have been because the pillows were out of shape and needed to be replaced. I slept comfortably when I did actually sleep. You see this was Selma Jubilee weekend and I guess there were many staying at this hotel. The teenage guests were very loud, making lots of noise going in and out of the rooms, slamming doors, so sleep was often disturbed. The walls are thin all around you as well as above you. I wondered what the guest above me was doing because s/he was going up and down in the room, dropping things, flushing constantly (no choice, you had to flush a few times to get the toilet paper to go down), taking long showers (the shower was awesome) and I could go on and on. I say all this to say, the walls are beyond thin - no insulation. You could hear a pin drop literally.

More miscellaneous thoughts: Although it was cold outside and I didn't use it, I see there is a nice small clean pool. My boyfriend hated the fact that the shower was slippery (no traction) on the floor with or without shower shoes as he slid and almost fell in the shower.

The staff were friendly if they were ever at the front desk. I even commented to one staff member when she finally came out (after another local guest hollered hello so she could come out) that they need to put a bell at the desk so guests don't have to wait for someone to come out. I didn't say anything because I wanted to see how long it would take for her to come out. I was there for a few minutes just listening to them cackle in the back. When the weekend is this busy, you would expect their attention to always be on point. Ha!

The best part besides the shower for me was the breakfast and Bertha, the one woman staffing the meal area. She was so reminiscent of how southern pleasantry and personable people should be. She just made you feel good. She should be at the front desk instead of the existing staff. Just my two cents. She was so accommodating and lively. I really appreciated her welcome and the food she prepared. It was good and just what I needed. Great customer service to all who approached the area for a meal. I have stayed at other priority rewards-based hotels and she is the only meal-based food attendant I have ever seen ask everyone if they were okay or needed anything. And she wasn't even getting tips. I wish I would have thought to tip her before I left. Maybe I will send it to her. She really was nice.

Anyway, this was a two night stay using our priority rewards points and I was pleased with the hotel overall. I just wish I could have had a little more sleep. I didn't complain to the staff about the lack of sleep because what can they do? I wanted to call the police but whose gonna come to a hotel to maintain the noise factor. The other small nice gesture is the front desk person let us (priority rewards members) check out an hour and a half later. We usually get 3 hour later check out status but beggars can't be choosers.

• Stayed March 2013
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Prior to my two night stay (was supposed to be six nights), my clients recommended I stay elsewhere. But because I have been a platinum member for many years, I hated to give up the points. My experience included a room that had not been vacuumed, bathroom floor was dirty, tiles in elevator broken, white mildew growing on carpet by window, dirty spoon under desk, clothing tag left on couch, grimy grout in bathroom and so on.

Let's put it this way, H/I Express spent some money updating but from my last few experiences, things are going down hill fast AGAIN at many locations. After two nights, I moved over a Best Western and loved it.

It may be time to leave the points and move on to another chain.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Selma hotels

Odin, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. And being a truck driver that says allot! There WiFi is a joke I was never able to get a signal. The smoke detector in the room was ripped of the wall and had wires hanging out of the wall! The toilet seat looked like it had glue on it, their help can't seem to understand that the guest don't like loud music and BONGO drums at 345 in the morning. The bed comforter was torn fortunately I was smart enough to sleep in the chair for what little sleep I did get. After spending the night in the room and then getting in my truck to pick up my load I contemplated swinging by the nearest ER room to get a shot of penicillin for anything I might have caught in their filthy room. But other than that (like there is anything else) I give it a AAA!!!!!!

Room Tip: You want a tip?DON"T stay here unless you have a doctor in the family. Oh and if you do, bring...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Upon arrival, our room was dirty. The floor had food on it, and the garbage had not been emptied, and there was garbage left in the in room refrigerator. On top of that, there evidently were no free rooms for us to be moved to.
Our room had no linen, or even toilet paper. After calling the desk, we were told the linens and TP would be sent directly to our room. Over the course of the next three hours we called the desk twice and I even went and spoke to the manager who assured us it would be sent immediately. It took one more trip to the manager to get what we needed to stay the night in our dirty room.
I called the manager after I returned home, and his only comment was "I am sorry your stay with us was not satisfactory." Shameful!
I would not ever stay here again, nor would I recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Prattville, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My daughter had her baby in Selma and we had been up for 36 hours. We didn't want to drive back home so we went to see what kid of hotels we could find. We have always stayed at a Ramanda Inn so we stopped there. The first room we were given was being redone so they changed us. We were very tired so for the first time ever I did not lock the deadbolt and we were asleep that afternoon and someone opens our door and walks in. They had given our room to someone else. I went to the front desk I was told that could not have happened and no one else had been back for a new room. I told her I wanted to speak to the management and was told he lived in Montgomery and would not be back for a few days. She tried to call him but he would not answer. I have to this day not heard from him and it has been 6 days.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I traveled 9hrs for a funeral. Upon arrival I was given room keys that didn't work. A security guard just happened to be passing by the room and tried his 'all access' keys. Those keys didn't work either. It turned out the room we were given had a block so that no key would work??? Before knowing this, however, I had to walk up and down the stairs 2x to check with the front desk as to what the issue was with the keys. I waited 2.5hrs for towels.......once we got into the room next door (thanks to the security guard). AND our new room had a fist size hole in the wall. They should be ashamed of their service and lack of concern when I was spending my money there. It won't happen again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Selma? Share your experiences!