“great Hampton inn” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Selma
mobile
“great Hampton inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

a new very clean hampton inn. well trained staff. a good place to stay. i stay there a lot.

Room Tip: any room is fine
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Orange County, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Our family of 5 stayed at this Hampton on a recent road trip. I have to say I was less than impressed. We have stayed at other Hamptons in the past, and this one is definitely lacking.

The first problem we had was getting into the elevator and realizing it was not working. When we informed the front desk, they said they already knew. Why was there no sign on the elevator indicating it was out of order?? After hauling our stuff up the stairs, we settled into our room. It was nicely appointed, but it had an odd smell that the kids immediately commented on. My only other complaint about the room is that it did not have a DVD player; we had been hoping to watch a movie that evening that we had brought with us.

The elevator was never fixed during our stay, and they never posted a sign indicating it was broken. I guess everyone found out the hard way?

On the plus side, the breakfast was pretty good. They had a good variety of hot and cold items.

My recommendation: if you have to stay in Selma, check out the Holiday Inn Express next door. It looks nicer, at least from the outside.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Selma, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

The Hampton Inn in Selma Alabama, is the only choice that I use for clients and family events. The service from the management and staff are outstanding! The hotel is very clean and the beds are great for a GOOD NIGHTS REST! When in Selma, stay with the staff at the Hampton Inn. As they say, "they love having you here" is very true.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Decatur, AL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I have to stay first that I chose Hampton because there are no Marriott properties in close proximity to Selma, where I had business. Hampton was my second choice because I have had good stays at Hamptons in the past. This, however, was not one of them. We checked in with no problems; Letiticia very pleasant. We went to our Whirlpool King room and did a quick inspection because of some less than stellar cleanliness we have experienced in the past. The whirlpool was non-functional (see attached pictures; control panel was off; knobs were missing). As the room with a whirlpool was more expensive than the standard king room, I immediately called the front desk to ask about the whirlpool. Evidently, they were already aware of the condition of the whirlpool because the clerk said, "uh, yeah, we'll drop your rate to a standard rate". I asked about the availability of another whirlpool room and was told she'd call me right back. 20 minutes later, she called and said that there was not another whirlpool room available. At this time, we also reported that there was a very loud running water sound that we couldn't identify. It sounded as if there were a shower running next door to our room; however, there WAS no room next door! Maintenance staff came up and told us that there had been some sort of test on the sprinkler system that day and the noise we heard was the system refilling (?) We were told it would be over soon. So we listened to it for awhile; then went to dinner. When we came back, the noise was still there; so we called and asked to be moved to a different room. We were told they'd call us back. Finally, about 15 minutes later the noise stopped; so we called back and said we would stay put...although we were never actually offered a different room. We are non-smokers, but there are smoking rooms right next to the non. Therefore, when you step into the hall, you are inundated with smoke. Not used to that, as all Marriott properties are non-smoking. The comforter was LUMPY. Picture of that as well; it was almost comical. Bathroom needed attention; pictures posted of that as well. Staff pleasant; breakfast standard; rooms lacking. Pool still closed(noted from previous reviews that it has been closed for awhile...)Not recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

This review is actually a combination of several stays. Since I've had to travel to this town for business on a number of occasions, I've become quite familiar with this Hampton Inn location. The staff were always very courteous and helpful - even if I checked in at midnight. Once, there was a family reunion at the same time as my visit (with plenty of kids) but the doors and walls were so thick that I hardly heard a peep from the entire group. It was only after several visits that I discovered not all of the rooms had the same size bathrooms (you may want to inquire about this at check-in if you need space). Also, their Wifi is definitely on the slow-side. But the free breakfast and great location make up for any shortcomings!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators or stairwells.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Birmingham, Al
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I had stayed here several years ago on business, and since the choices in Selma are limited, I chose the Hampton again. According to the TA rating scale, if I gave 2 stars it would reflect as "poor", and while my experience wasn't "poor" it wasn't "average" either. I would say below average as compared to a Hampton somewhere other than Selma, but for Selma, it probably would be above average. Anyway, there were a lot of "little" issues that are keeping me from giving an above average rating or wanting to give an average one.

First, the lobby was very nicely decorated and clean, and check-in was fast. My room had 2 queen beds as there were no non-smoking king rooms available. This hotel apparently still has smoking rooms. The room itself was clean, but the carpet had some large stains. I have stayed in a lot of hotels in the past year, and don't remember one that didn't have a memory foam/Tempurpedic-type mattress. These were lumpy, bumpy, old mattresses and neither of the beds were comfortable. The bed on the left squeaked so much I slept in the other one. I did not sleep very well.

For some crazy reason, all the lamps and the clock radio were unplugged when I got there. I tried to set the time on the clock, but despite instructions being written on the clock, no joy. I made 3 calls to the front desk to see about it. First one I was on hold for 5 minutes, second one got hung up on, and on the third call, someone finally walked me through how to change it, but it actually was broken. The free internet service was painfully slow. My VPN session for work kept timing out since pages took so long to load.

There was a sign at the pool saying it was closed; I don't know the reason. I did use the gym. The elliptical machine was broken. The electronics didn't work, and the push/pull handles were loose and wobbly. Oh, and the doctor-type weight scales were 20 pounds too light! They did have some free weights and a medicine ball. I used the treadmill.

Breakfast was the usual, and the dining room was clean, and the staff lady was nice.

I have more business in Selma in the next several months. I will try them again, and see if there are improvements. I really wonder if they read these reviews.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Chattanooga,TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We're on a historical vacation visit and the internet is slow at this Hampton. Breakfast was good. Pool closed while work was being done and it's 104 outside. Elevator maintenance door stood open with a box fan blowing on the elevator motor, haha! Travelling is a..trip.

Room Tip: Clean and handy
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Selma? Share your experiences!