“Nice spot, shame about the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New Heights - CLOSED

New Heights
7F, No.3 Zhong Shan Dong Yi Road, Shanghai, China, Shanghai, China (The Bund)
+86 21 6321 0909
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: The Bund
Description: Closed
Birmingham
“Nice spot, shame about the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

On our first night here in Shanghai we were recommended by the Concierge at our hotel to head to No. 3 on The Bund, as there is a collection of nice restaurants there which is what we asked for.

Admittedly it's in a great location set in a beautiful old building and with funky lifts to take you to the various floors where there is a different bar or restaurant on each floor. The New Heights is on the top (floor 7) and has fabulous views of the famous skyscrapers which are illuminated at night, plus a further view down The Bund. We sat outside on the balcony and had a nice table with a good view which was great. The service we received was excellent and the wine choice was good, although I echo what others have said on here that it is pricey and a bottle of wine starts from £40, rising in increments to £45, £50 and up and up and up! We had a nice bottle of red which was a Spanish Rioja and it was a brand that I recognised (Campo Viejo) but I would not ever pay £50 at home for this wine, and indeed in Spain this is sometimes classed as 'house wine' so would never be this expensive. Anyway, it was a good wine and we had expected a high price as we had already read Trip Advisor reviews so it wasn't such a problem, but be warned if you go here to expect to pay a minimum of £40 for a bottle.

The food was good, but it wasn't amazing. I paid approx. £30 for a rib eye steak which was quite dry and tough, and my partner had beef tenderloin which wasn't very tender. The french fries were just out of a bag and I would have expected something a but more special considering the setting. You are definitely paying for the view and location which I still say is great and very atmospheric. It's all about the occasion as far as I'm concerned when I eat out, therefore, although the food wasn't amazing, I would still recommend going here if you want to dine outside with a great view, good service and a nice funky atmosphere. I think I will always remember eating here and feeling chilled out and very happy, but in time I will forget what I ate so that isn't as important to me.

Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai
“Great view, good food, but why do they allow smoking????”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Cigarette smoke kills any restaurant review! Even though the smoking was on the terrace and therefore technically outside it spoils the experience for all the other guests. In particular, it's the terrace that is the main selling point of New Heights. So why on earth would you allow a young chain-smoking couple to soil your main selling feature? I will not come back to New Heights because there are several restaurants in the same building with better food but without a terrace. If I can't enjoy the terrace due to all the smoke, I might as well go to the competition downstairs (none of whom will have smoking because 100% of the seating us inside).

The view was spectacular and overlooking the bend across from Lujiazui. The staff was a bit slow and sometimes needed to be waved to several times before bothering to move towards our table. Once they managed to make it across they were very friendly and accommodating.

The food was very good and I would come back to try some of the other things on the menu except I can't fathom sitting in another cloud of smoke. The prices were fair and they could charge a lot more because of the nice view they provide.

I would have given the restaurant a rating of 4 despite the slow staff. But sitting in continuous smoke made this experience a 2. What a pity!

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Shanghai, China
“Its ok but too slow!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I did lunch here with a friend. The outside seating is nice with a half view of the Bund and a view of 'M' on the Bund's better although lower, outside seating area.

The set lunch menu was small but looked good value, we were booked for 12.30 so not so late so I was disappointed that my first choice for main course (burger) was already not available and the chef would not replace it with anything else so i just had 3 choices...non of which jumped out at me. However I went healthy and chose Sea Bream. We received our 1st course in reasonable time (salmon and a John Dory dishes) and although the salmon was quite a small portion both were very nice. We got a soft drink included, we chose a lemongrass soda which was refreshing.

We chatted and then after some time started to get frustrated as we waited probably 1 hour for our main courses, again fish dishes. AND I watched as many people who arrived after us got their main courses AND I saw several of the main course I wanted but was told not available...

Eventually they arrived and again were well presented and very tasty but portions great for weight watchers (some say good for me too) but not if you are hungry.

Because of time we didn't order dessert and we were offered a cup of tea or coffee for our inconvenience which was accepted (had I been paying I would not have accepted that). So in conclusion, an ok balcony, an ok view (there are some much much better ones), an ok set menu 118RMB but not ok service. It was ok.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Brilliant views and flexible service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This restaurant makes the most of its views across the Bund and Pudong through floor to ceiling glass walls and a sizeable outdoor terrace. It has a varied menu ranging from pastas, fish and chips, salads, Asian dishes etc and is also popular for coffee and cakes. My request for a variation on a dish was met without a problem. The food was delicious though as the location would dictate fairly pricey.

Visited May 2013
Sunfish Lake, Minnesota
“An Evening on the Bund”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We ate at the New Heights restaurant on Friday evening May 3. The weather was in the 70's and we sat outside dining at about 8:00PM. The view of the river and the city was superb and very romantic. There were heaters on the patio to keep the guests warm. The menu was well designed. We had appetizers and enjoyed John Dory and Artic char for entre's. The service was fast and efficient, often anticipating our needs. The food was prepared well, plated well, and served immediately. The wine list is OK and developing, equivalent to other good restaurants in Shanghai. WE really enjoyed the evening and definitely will return.
Gregg V