“Comfortable Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Wujiaochang

You added Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Wujiaochang to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Wujiaochang
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1729 Huang Xing Road, Shanghai 200433, China (Jiangwan / Wujiaochang)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #295 of 3,933 Hotels in Shanghai
Jamnagar, India
“Comfortable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

This hotel is very near to Indian Restaurants. Nice approach road. Pizza Hut very near and shopping complex is near too. In all nice hotel for a business stay. As its a Holiday Inn Express we do not have room service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first

good location

• Stayed August 2010
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I rated this hotel poorly because regardless of how good the hotel might be, if the hotel is unprofessional and, worse, rips people off, then people should stay away. (the hotel is not near anything anyway, the price is just ok, the rooms were average, nothing special, and the breakfast buffet was pretty sad).

This hotel runs a scam to get more money from independent travels than the reserved rate. I doubt anyone on a tour or prepaid via Orbitz or one of the other on line travel companies have a problem.

What they do is charge you (on your credit card) a slightly higher rate then you reserved, then admit there is a problem to avoid confrontation, but say they cannot credi, reverse or refund at that time but will take care of it after you leave in the coming week. But of course they dont. The entire scheme is intended to wear you down, get you to leave the hotel either frustrated, or thinking they will give you that refund they promised. The reason I say it’s a scam, it was clear to me they do it all the time and the clerks knew what to do to get the hotel the extra money. After all, if you have an irage guest who is asking to see the manager, the manager is there in a few minutes, or they call a supervisor to help sort it out, etc.

Because they only charge a little more (in my case $7 more on one room and $10 more on the other even though I booked identical rooms), they figure most people will just let it go, or for those that argue , at least not waste too much time arguing , and will leave when the hotel when they say they will refund it later....and then never do, but then still let it go because its not worth the time because its so small,.

I arrived at 3am. I had booked two identical rooms. The clerk presented me with pre-charged credit slips to sign. Not only were the charges more than I reserved, but one was more than the other. The clerk looked at my reservation print out and said yes, there was an error, but I had to sign everything to get the room and deal with management in the AM as the night clerk could not fix it (made sense).

When I complained the next morning, the clerk knew about the problem from the night clerk, did not argue that the rate was wrong, but also said they could not fix it someone else in a few days would (could not reverse the credit card and charge me the right rate, or issue a credit, or cash, but in a week they would issue a credit to my card). I asked to see the manager. At first I was told there was none. Then , upon raising my voice and voicing concern about no manager being there, I was told of course there is a manager. But I waited and waited for one.

Complaining just brings excuses, or them saying they will see what they can, but just to delay, and after another 10 or 15 minutes explaining they could not fix the problem. They kept me waiting for a manager for almost an hour, even though I asked and asked. And then the person who finally showed (I think he was security not a manager) would still not do anything. They eventually filled out a credit card slip (that looked like a charge not a credit, but I wrote all over it refund and credit), but it never was put through ( I am sure it went into the trash the moment I left).

I have video of what happened and I will figure out how to compress it and post it. So if the hotel posts that it does not do this or this did not happen, I have the proof. Including the refund charge slip that they never put through.

When I got home, I complained to Holiday Inn. I was told by Holiday Inn that the hotel immediately responded to Holiday’s Inn’s inquiry and was issuing me a credit. No surprise. And no surprise they never followed through. A month later and still nothing. I called Holiday Inn again. Holiday Inn was great, and said they would issue me a check themselves and then pursue the hotel (a franchisee) the refund themselves. Good Luck!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I stayed in this hotel with the tour group, so my review will be very limited, because I did not have enough time to explore this hotel. I posted some pics from my room, which I hope would give you more idea about the hotel. Room was compact, standard amenities, and very clean. Breakfast came with very limited choices. Staff were helpful but speaks almost nothing in English. Free internet & PC on the hotel lobby. Wi-fi is available for free.

• Stayed April 2010
San Diego, CA, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

We stayed here upon our arrival in China, after a twelve-hour trip. I had the sense when booking the room that its location was not "central" and that is certainly true. But I figured that after such a long flight, we would not feel like doing much more than maybe taking a short walk and then trying to get a good night's sleep. The price was right (about $69 USD) and it gave us a view of a part of Shanghai that we would otherwise not have seen.

The hotel is pleasant enough with a surprisingly large number of foreign tourists. The rooms, while not huge, were comfortable and well appointed, as was the bathroom. But the insulation leaves a lot to be desired. You can hear the pipes being used very clearly. The pipes woke me up from time to time as did a conversation in either an adjoining room or in the hallway that sounded like it was right in our room. The breakfast buffet was only mediocre, although far superior to the "continental breakfast" that you find at a Holiday Inn Express in the U.S.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

Very Clean hotel. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. A bit far from downtown. About a 20 minute walk to the subway, than 15 minute subway ride. Subway is clean and safe.
It"s north of downtown. The hotel picture looks nicer than reality.
Good Quality/price deal.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

I'm surprised that other reviewers regard this hotel as being in a good place. As far as the sights of Shanghai are concerned it (many, many) miles away from anything. When I stayed there (just last weekend) the six-lane road it is on was undergoing major widening work. The location was dusty with barricades and earth moving gear all over the place. Traffic was moving at a even a worst-than-usual snarl than most of Shanghai. Several taxi drivers I used didn't know where the hotel was. The hotel itself is tucked away off the street with a very small and hard-to-see sign. It is difficult to find. The nearest subway station is a 30-40 min walk. To the Bund it is about an hour's taxi ride in weekday traffic. My room was no-frills but was modern and clean. It was generally quiet but I could hear plumbing noises through the night. The internet connection did not work, either thru the plug connection in my room or by wi-fi. The staff were efficient but spoke virtually no English. But then again this is so far off the tourist trail it's not surprising. I won't stay there again. It just was a hassle.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Wujiaochang? Share your experiences!