“After 3 Years, Still Love This Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Haiku by Hatsune

Haiku by Hatsune
28B Taojiang Road, Shanghai, China (Hengshan Road)
021-64450021
Improve this listing
Ranked #117 of 12,499 restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery
Neighborhood: Hengshan Road
Shanghai
“After 3 Years, Still Love This Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have been going to this restaurant for three years. One of the waitresses still remembers my son from when he was a toddler so it means they are able it retain staff which in turn means happy employees which helps keep up quality.

The sashimi and sushi are fresh and the rolls are uniquely Haiku. They are inventions of the imagination and I have never seen anything like it anywhere else in the world. The restaurant atmosphere is informal and friendly and kids are welcomed as well. We used to get takeout food and bring it home so they are very flexible in meeting your requirements.

It isn't cheap but also not any more expensive than other Japanese restaurants. And the high price keeps the masses of people out that you come across in many lower-priced places.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

85% Recommend
“great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

i go to Haiku regularly as it is near where i live. If you go there expecting a fully Japanese dining experience you will be disappointed as it is more of an international/cosmopolitan idea. the ingredients are fresh, the sushi rolls are imaginative and fun and the portions are generous. i have never been disappointed! however ... they could definitely do with washing the glass walls as they look very, very grubby...

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Europe
“Good atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Expensive like most Japanese restaurants, but this s quite reasonable for Shanghai. A great setting in the French Concession and the restaurant has a good buzz. Good sashimi and tempura. The set combinations at the back of the menu offer great value. Good cocktails and wine list.

• Visited April 2013
“Reliably Decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Haiku has reliably decent food. When I can't think of another restaurant to go to, I head to Haiku. It is somewhat reasonably priced, as far as Japanese restaurants go. I always get the Tuna rolls (pictured in the photo of Haiku). I love the clean stone exterior. And the interior decor is comfortable.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok, Thailand
“The food is really good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have a friend working in a nearby office building and when we decided to have lunch, he chose this place and for me it was the first time actually to try this Japanese restaurant. We went there for lunch and each ordered a lunch box.

With my price tag, 96 or something (can't remember clearly because I didn't pay:-) I got a box full of good food, beef Tepayaki (difficult word to spell, guess everybody knows what it is!) with many small cubes of delicious beef. I ordered medium done and it turned out to be just right, juicy and tender still. What surprised me was the rather big portion of tempura on top as well, together with some side dishes. I definitely felt this box worth every RMB we paid for! Together we also shared a roll. I always disliked rolls because they normally tend to be more fatty than necessary and the seaweed was like unbreakable rubber. My friend ordered one special roll with soft shell crabs and with my first bite, I was more than happy to find out: 1 no fatty sauce on top; 2 taste very good; 3 Avacado in it (so generous when most other restaurants only use cucumbers); the seaweed could actually be chewed open which meant I didn't have to finish one whole piece with one bite simply to avoid looking awkward. Such a happy meal and thinking about the food we got, the price was very reasonable.

The pity? Service was okay, a bit cool (can't say cold, but don't expect the warmth you'd have with some Japanese restaurants like the one in the City Hotel) and they don't have house-made icecreams, only the Haagen-dazs series with limited choices.

Still a nice surprise to me and I ended up going there again a few days later.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere