“Beautiful design, but some technical problems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of URBN Hotel Shanghai

You added URBN Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
URBN Hotel Shanghai
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.183 Jiaozhou Road, Jing'an District, Shanghai 200040, China (Jing'an Temple)   |
Announcement
REOPEN WITH A NEW LOOK
Ranked #63 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Beautiful design, but some technical problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

URBN Hotel is really a beautifully designed and it really is in a nice location, at first like many reviews here says, when you go into the humble entrance gate from a local street in China, you really are directly in a different place. The terrace with the bamboo and the Zen feeling is really beautiful and nice to be confronted to in the busy streets of Shanghai. The Lobby is also really well designed, the suitcase walls, amazing!

The staff was also very friendly, which is of course a great plus, although it seems some of them are still greens in the industry.

Upon entering our room, we had booked the Atrium Room, we are amazed by how warm and cozy, yet spacey it was. And we were totally in love with the Atrium Bathroom. It is really long and the use of black 'stone' with the white window in the back where light shines through, is really beautiful done. Then you have the wall mirrors in the long bathroom where at the end is the very big and deep square bath. We used the bath where the very big white window is located and the lights shines; it was a very nice experience. The bed was also very comfortable and spacious. And of course the free wifi is a very nice addition. The sunken lounge and the long connected sofa were nice to sit on but better to have fun walking on them.

Now to the negative experience while staying at URBN Hotel.

The first night there was no problems at all and everything was very nice. Then there is the second evening/night. Upon returning from a day out in the city, we came back to a very dark lobby and a bit of a chaotic scenario. What happened was that there were some electricity problems which caused the electricity shutdown parts of the hotels, which included the lobby, rooms and hallways. We found it a bit strange but at one point suddenly the lights went on again. During the night, there was strange sound while we were trying to sleep, and we first did not know what it was. Then we recognized that is were dripping sounds and we were right because water seemed to leak from the ceiling air-conditioning. This happened somewhere between 1-2 AM after a very tiring day while touring. And we put our luggage there so, things got a bit wet, because it seems it had been dripping for awhile without us really noticing it. We called the service desk and ask someone to come to check it for us. One staff quickly came to our room and checked it out and asked us to wait so he could get a technical staff to come. But when he returned he said they will move us to another room, to the Garden View room, which was not not that great, because we did really like the Atrium room. So at 2 AM we had to pack all of our luggage and drag it to another.

The above were the only thing that was negative, and it seems they just had a bad day.

The next morning we asked for a late checkout because we were quite tired, which they gave us. During the checkout they were quite friendly and they knew about the problems that happened. Although it was little disappointing to not have something complimentary because of the technical problems in middle of the night. But the staff that were working in the lobby were still fresh in the industry, so we get that there was nothing for the technical problems.

In conclusion, URBN is a very very beautful designed hotel that you definitely will enjoy when staying there. Waking up in a beautiful room and resting after a full day out in Shanghai, you really can in URBN. Although for some problems, it seems that it was just a bad day for them.

All in all, I would definitely reccommened URBN to any visitor in Shanghai.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
URBNhotels, Guest Relations Manager at URBN Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. It is disappointing to hear your recent stay with us was unsatisfactory. Let us apologize for the faulty air conditioner in your room. After your incident, we checked all of our remaining a/c units to make sure none of them were leaking like the one in your room. It is unfortunate that this happened in the middle of the night; we hope that the Garden View Suite we moved you into was a huge improvement. Thank you for your patience and understanding, this was an isolated incident that has been taken care of. We hope that next time your travel plans bring you back to Shanghai, you will choose us again. I look forward to seeing you back with us! Thanks again!

URBN Hotels Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Palo Alto, CA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The first time I tried to stay at URBN, they were fully booked, and so I reluctantly tried the JIA hotel, another boutique venue on the line 2 subway several stops down. The JIA was great, especially the general service manager, an experience that prompted me to return there on another trip from the States.

Yet on my most recent trip, it turned out that the URBN was finally available and, having stayed there, I can without hesitation recommend it as my favorite boutique hotel in Shanghai. No surprise: the general service manager at URBN had recently transferred from JIA! It seems he may have a bit of a magic touch. If you go, see if you can meet him: he’s friendly, knowledgeable, and speaks perfect English. There are larger hotels with equal quality, but I've found nothing gives you a sense of personal serenity like this location. Here are some specific points:

- Service: Awesome. I had to make a trip to Hangzhou in-between stays at URBN, so I requested via email (English, no problem) to have train tickets purchased in advance for me, as I would not have time to do so after my trans-pacific flight. There was a little confusion over email at first as what I needed exactly, but the general service manager, who was CC’d on the emails, made everything happen without issue. When I arrived late at night, I didn’t even have to ask them to find my tickets: the tickets for the next morning were ready and presented to me, receipts nicely organized for review.

Another nice thing about the service at URBN was that, unlike many other “high service” locations in China, you don’t get attacked by 5 service people who are required to ask you if you need assistance at every turn — a situation that can make a 5 star experience pretty stressful.

- Getting to and from the hotel: Convenient. The hotel is just a couple easy blocks from the subway stop at Jing’An temple on Nanjing West Road, which means easy access to pretty much anything you want to do in the city. Interestingly, the hotel entrance is on a relatively active (but small) street, yet as soon as you walk in through the wooden entrance, all the noise drops away! The perfect combination. If you need to make a Pudong Airport connection, the easiest and fastest way is to take the subway line 2 and transfer to the Maglev high speed train — DON’T take the line 2 all the way to the airport. If you need to make a Hongqiao airport connection, take a cab from URBN (not during rush hour tho!). In my case, the URBN staff were more than happy to make sure a cab was ready at the right time, and even packed me a breakfast to go when I was rushing out!

- Food: Great with a couple caveats. Mostly everything tasted wonderful, including the coffee. Only drawbacks were (1) relatively small portions, and (2) the breakfast sausages should seriously be avoided… They may have changed them as of this review. Also, just down the block (on the way to the subway) there is a great dumpling stall where you can eat your fill for very little. If the weather is pleasant, one of the most enjoyable aspects of URBN is their outside courtyard where you can kick back with a beer or coffee and soak in the rays without the noise of the street.

- Rooms: While some people didn’t like the numerous small stairs that are part of the neat Atrium Room design (not all rooms are like this), I found them effective at helping to segregate the sleeping area and the lounging area. I had to do a fair amount of work on my computer in that lounge area, and I found it to be a pretty relaxing environment, especially with the high ceilings, lots of natural light (with privacy), and numerous power sockets. Internet was reliable (I could skype but not with video), but would have been nice if it was a little faster...

Overall, I loved staying here! Make a reservation early during the busy season...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. It is great to hear your stay with us was relaxing and smooth: exactly what we want all our guests to feel from the moment they enter our premises. We were honored to have you and your siblings stay with us and we hope you will be back soon to see all the upgrades we have been working on, including our URBN Lounge, now open exclusively for our guests: enjoy complimentary drinks and snacks everyday from 5pm-7pm. I hope to see you there soon! Thanks again for your kind words!

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

I arrived at Urbn Shanghai having spent an awful 4 days in hospital in Hong Kong, i was ill, tired, hot and generally not in a good mood. However everything started to look up when i arrived laden with bags that were quickly swept away by a helpful porter as he directed me into the reception. The staff could not have been more charming, accomodating or helpful if they tried; i went to pay the deposit only for the bank to decline my card (not for the first time on this trip! and even though i had confirmed more than once that i was indeed in China) i was aghast and did not know what to do. However help arrived in the form of the Charming guest services manager who suggested various options, finally walking me to the local bank himself, whilst giving me a guide to the area, so that i could withdraw cash to pay the deposit. Unfortunately the bank would not allow me to withdraw more than £250 and i felt sure i would have to find some hideous hostel to go to! but the manager reassured me that i could pay the deposit little by little each day during my stay. what a blessed relief. i was taken to my room where my bags had already been placed and relaxed on the enormous, soft, fluffy bed. the shower was the stuff of dreams, and the bath big enough to get lost in. my stay carried on in this vain with nothing being too much trouble and all of the staff being very polite and helpful, there level of english was almost uniformly excellent. the food in the restaurant was gorgeous, not too pretentious, just well done and full of flavour. room service was also excellent with a short selection from the main restaruant menu. and the bar was a lovely place to realx of an evening whilst planning our assault on shanghai's nightlife. i could not reccomend this hotel more, and will certainly be back as soon as i can afford it!

Room Tip: Mr & Mrs Smith website for extra offers
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
URBNhotels, Guest Relations Manager at URBN Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. We were more than happy to take care of you when you were staying with us last month. Banks can be pretty difficult to deal with, we were glad you were able to withdraw funds from your account in the end. Thank you for complimenting our rooms and service level, and it was great to hear your dining experience at Downstairs was a huge improvement from your time in Hong Kong. We all look forward to your return in the near future. Thanks again!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Had a fabulous time at URBN. Rooms were very quiet and comfortable. Staff were very attentive, energetic and fluent in English. Location was perfect: not in the middle of chaos, only 5 minutes' walk to subway. I will be back for sure! My boyfriend and I loved it!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear you and your boyfriend had a great time with us and that our service level and amenities met your expectations. URBN is very privileged to have a major subway line within walking distance and taxis are always easy to catch as well. We hope to see you two again soon, especially since Australia is not too far away! Thanks again for choosing URBN!

Lyon, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Great hotel location, welcoming and helpful staff and management, great restaurant and awesome cocktails at the bar. The rooms are spacious and well organized, but be careful during night (or after one of those super cocktails): the steps could be quite treacherous.
Will definitely go back there on my next trip to Shanghai.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. When one is on business, there is usually never enough relaxation time to cram in between all the meetings and traveling. We at URBN want all our guests, especially our business clients to feel peaceful and tranquil every time they step foot through our entrance gate. Shanghai is a crazy hectic place, but you don't have to be. We hope to see you again soon!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed in the Urbn hotel after I found it on the internet and liked its ethos. From the moment we arrived, exhausted after a long flight from Dublin, we were pampered! The staff were welcoming, polite, enthusiastic, knoweledgeable and at all times professional. They all speak excellent English.
Our room, a garden room view was magical with a welcome drink and freshly baked cookies arriving in our room shortly after we arrived. So many little extra touches that added to our stay...........free wifi throughout the hotel, the use of complimentary bicycles, a complimentary 'happy hour' from 5-7 every evening in the cosy 'upstairs' bar, gifts in our room every evening and chocolates on our pillows each night!!!!!!!
The restaurant and outside patio dining area is run by the very attentive manager Fergus, and the kitchen runs seamlessly under the guiding hand of head chef Siobhan Gough, she herself an amazing chef with all her talents reflected in the menu with exciting twists to fresh local ingredients. Dont miss her glorious creation 'Guinness and chocolate cake'........its a must!
Front of house is Jonathan Ma who can make it all happen before, during and after your stay with good advice on restaurants, sightseeing and shopping.
The vibe in the hotel is trendy, modern and happening, with lots of locals dropping in to do business, socialise and dine. Definitely one of the places to see and be seen at the moment!
The developers responsible for this hotel are about to open a larger one in the Pudong area shortly and another similar sized one also in the French concession area..........watch this space.
This is a superb 26 roomed hotel is in a safe and convenient location, and although we had to move for three nights for a conference to another hotel we coundn't wait to get back there for our last night where we were greeted warmly by Selina and Emma on reception with'welcome back! this is your Shanghai home'................we will most definitely be back for more in the future!!!

Room Tip: Check the internet for special rates
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. We are thrilled to read you and your husband had an amazing experience at URBN last week: from our rooms and service to our Downstairs restaurant and Social Lounge. It was a pleasant surprise when we found out you two were coming back to stay with us one last night before you hopped on your flight back to Ireland. We hope to see you two back here in the near future! Thanks again!

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We used the Meglev train, then changed to a taxi to arrive at the hotel. Great staff pool that are required to communicate in English only. A hotel that really makes you feel at home in no time. Stylish and zen-clean room; eco-construction; relaxing- alfresco -organic breakfast; 10 min. walk to subway and dept store. The only fallback -- too many levels in the room that became a bit dangerous esp at night. Maybe we are too old for it! Looking forward to their new hotel in Pudong !

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
URBNhotels, Guest Relations Manager at URBN Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel and thanks also for your kind words about our hotel. In order for URBN to have top-notch service, we must make sure all our staff are fluent in English to assist our guests' needs. Our room design does make it a bit tricky to get around. If you are not a fan, then fear not; we will have single-level rooms in our new hotel, opening next year in 2012.

URBN Hotels Shanghai

Been to URBN Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!