“Lovely but wanted more!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Xindalu

Xindalu
Hyatt on the Bund, 199 Huang Pu Road, Shanghai, China (The North Bund)
021-63931234
Improve this listing
Ranked #275 of 12,499 restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: The North Bund
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Lovely but wanted more!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I went here with a colleague as it has a reputation for great Peking Duck. We pre-ordered the duck as otherwise there can be a long wait. When we arrived it took a while for them to take even a drinks order, which is disappointing in a restaurant of this quality. We asked the waiter for advice as to how much food to order and he suggested a couple of appetizers plus the half-duck we ordered would be sufficient for two people. We had the jelly fish & black fungus starters which were both very good & authentic; the duck then arrived and it was very, very good but there just wasn't very much - they served breast meat, skin and leg-meat as three separate dishes plus some pancakes, spring onion & cucumber but the whole thing felt quite meagre given the big duck it was being carved from. In Singapore I've had the 'waste' meat also served up with some rice or soup so I was kind of hoping for the same thing here, but in vain. So for RMB 540 for two people we left still feeling hungry.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Excellent Chinese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Upscale Chinese food at the Hyatt on Huangpu road. Nice amtbiance, excellent food (the beef with hangzhou pepper stood out for us) and good service. Needless to say, international hotel prices.

Visited April 2013
“Great authentic Chinese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I had the opportunity to try several times Xindalu and constantly it delivers a great experience. I had yesterday one of their seasonal dish and the yellow Crocker was one of the best fish I ever had in China.

What I like is that the food is really authentic but served with quality in the right atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Madrid, Spain
“The best Pekin Duck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

For my simply is the best Pekin Duck in China, I have eaten more than two dozen Pekin Ducks in China in different restaurants and I simply consider the XIndalu the best one in Shanghai. The place is always clean, the food is permanently good, and quality is constant.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hangzhou, China
“Best shanghainese food and peking duck in shanghai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I like the peking duck very much. And the shanghainese food was very excellent. Also they have many choice for the wine. The service are friendly and fervently.

• Visited March 2013