“Fantastic hostel near to People's Square” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mingtown Etour Youth Hostel

Save Saved
You added Mingtown Etour Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Mingtown Etour Youth Hostel
No.55 JiangYin Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200003, China (People's Square)   |
Bangkok, Thailand
“Fantastic hostel near to People's Square”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Everything went great here. we booked a private twin with bathroom and we payed about 800 RMD for 3 nights, i.e. a great deal staying in Shanghai. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean and the food is tasty and cheap. If you order food at their restaurant for more than 100 RMB they give you a 20% reduction to the already cheap food. This is more than a hotel than a hostel and the athmosfere is nice here. We really recommed this hostel!!

Room Tip: Book good time in advance 'cause this hostel is very popular
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Xiamen, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I again loved my stay at this hostel. I was back for the second time. It makes a great base for outtings around Shanghai and the Marriott next door is a great landmark for cabs or orienting yourself on foot.

The rooms were still charming, with interesting furniture. The bar area makes a nice place to meet people, although I still haven't quite figured out when you can order what. There are a lot of drinks that become unavailable once the kitchen closes. There is still a friendly cat lazing about, ready to be pet.

I went down to "Very Good" from "Excellent" for two reasons:
1. They cannot get their keys to work the first time! (or the second time). This happened at my first visit (a year ago now) and happened again this time. Be ready to return to the front desk to get your key re-coded. There were three other people checking in within 5/10 minutes of me and we all had to go back to the desk multiple times.
2. Due to my travels since last August (and the fact that my pocket book isn't quite so tight now), the bathrooms bothered me this time. I paid for two people in a double room (although it is just me) to have it private. This means I share a bathroom with two other rooms. The sink is in the open, with the toilet behind a door to one side and the shower behind a door to the other. This is great so you can brush your teeth even if the strangers in the other rooms are using the other facilities. It is not so great when you want somewhere to put your stuff while showering (you have to have it in the shower with you and hope it doesn't get wet between the curtain and the door). I'm now to a point where I'd be willing to pay a little more and have my own bathroom.

Still, a charming hostel in an un-beatable location. I love it and the area, and I'll likely stay there again if I ever make it back to Shanghai again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

This hostel by all appearances is very nice, of not one the most charming in feel and decoration. The rooms are spotless, the entire place is well run, the front desk tries hard to please and help.

The downfall is the bar and the younger set partying hard and then throwing up/ getting sick and just being foul. I guess if your in college this is not a biggie, but for an adult beyond those years, its really ashame, as the rooms and overall feel there is great. Loud music from the bar plays until after midnight as well, add to this everyone cutting up and partying, its really not a place for a good nights rest and relaxation. Mornings are peaceful. Internet was good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights last month. The location was good, and the area around the bar was beautiful! We ate breakfast in the bar every morning we were there, and it was decent enough. The drinks they sell in the lobby are cheap, and there were also several stores on the street that sold similar items and snacks.

The check-in process was extremely slow. We waited in line to check in for an hour, and we were only behind two people! When we got to our room (private double), we were really disappointed to see that we would be sharing a bathroom with another room. The booking system had made it seem like we would have a private bathroom, but the guy working at the front desk had said that only their twin rooms had private bathrooms, and there were none available for us to switch to. I will take responsibility for not asking more questions when I was booking my room, but I wanted to mention this in my review so others are aware when they book their rooms in the future.

The front desk staff weren't particularly friendly or helpful. One of the staff suggested going to the train station and catching a bus to one of the water towns, so we followed his advice. When we got there, we found out that there were no buses going to Tongli, and we spent hours running around town trying to figure out how to get there. I wish we had booked a day trip instead of trying to get there on our own, or at least double-checked the directions online before we headed out.

The room was very clean and had it's own tv and a/c unit. The a/c took about 20 minutes to begin cooling once it was turned on, but we were very happy with how cool it kept the room since the weather outside was very hot and humid. Our room had a window that faced onto an alley which was quite loud in the early morning hours, but we had brought our own earplugs and were able to sleep through the noise. We were unlucky to have a noisy and messy neighbor sharing our bathroom, but otherwise, the bathroom facilities were good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Slovenia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed in this hostel the first night we arrived to China and were very unhappy. There waas only one room available and it was horrible! The walls were coverd in moulds and the air in the room was undescribably bad! As we arrived late and Shanghai is not the perfect place to find cheap accommodation, we took the room for one night only and were very happy to find a room in another hostel. Otherwise this hostel looks very nice with the water etc, but it's sad they couldn't fix the rooms in the first floor so that people could actually stay there. We got no discount for the room, although we were told by the staff it was not in a good condition. Quite sure it wasn't healthy as well!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

The staff was very friendly and helpful, if a little slow at times when they were busy. Their English wasn't superb, but it was passable. I had a double bed room that was private with a bath, and it was nice. The cafe/bar area had a lot of room. I used the wi-fi, but if you use the computer they have available, its a bit of a cramped space. I thought it was a great location. The two guys who work there gave excellent service, writing things down in Chinese and knowing which subways lines to take. i would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Everything here was great. Its a really trendy place. Even in the middle of winter we enjoyed sitting outside beside the fish pond. The restaurant food and drink is great but a little expensive. Beautiful shared bathroom and good rooms - if a little small. Can beat the location either.
Only negative is that it could be difficult for some to find as its hidden down an alleyway.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mingtown Etour Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!