“Not for foreigners who do not speak Chinese” 2 of 5 stars

Lindon Business Hotel
No.844 Pudong Avenue, Pudong New Area, Shanghai 200122, China (Lujiazui)   |
Ranked #2,381 of 3,925 Hotels in Shanghai
Pasay, Philippines
“Not for foreigners who do not speak Chinese”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was billeted at this hotel by conference organizers to attend a business meeting in Shanghai. My obersavtions during my three-day stay here are as follows:

1) It is a very basic hotel, two stars or even less, that appears to cater to locals. The room I was given has obviously aged, with splotches on the carpet and upholstery and stains in the tiles and toilet. Water in the shower takes about three minutes to become hot. Wall partitions are of wood, and activities on the other side of the room can be heard if one listnes carefully.

2) Hotel staff are not conversant in English, and it took a lot of patience on my part (as perhaps also on the part of the staff) to get a message across. I had only two encounters with them: once during check-in and once during check-out.

3) The hotel is also located at a not-so-busy side of Pudong where very few foreigners come by although taxis appear to be famliar with it (inferred from the reaction of my txi driver upon arrival when I showed him the name of the hotel). Of note, though, is that it is about 300 meters away from the Pudong Avenue station of Metro Line 4. This was very convenient for me as my meetings were in the Luijazui area (accessible by transferring to Line 2, all about 3 stops).

During my three-day stay, I just had to content myself with the fact that I would just be staying at the hotel to wash and sleep and that most of my waking times would be spent attending to business or doing some sight-seeing. It helped that I came in to Shanghai during autumn with balmy weather fit, to my mind, for some walking tours.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Solo
shanghai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

Describe the service you experienced - the staff only speak chinese, no other foreign language, a very big problem when you want to ask, query or discuss anything. Most of the time I found other guests that could speak english and tanslated for me. When I change my room and agreed a new higher price, the boss and manager denied all memory of this discussion as a result I paid double the agree amount. If you dont speak Chinese you will have serious problems with this hotel.

Tell us how you liked the room - the first room was a very small room, it was stinking and stale, the shoer and toilet messed the floor with water and I nearly slipped. The toilet did not flush properly as a result you had to hold the button down until the fulsh was complete. The room smelled of cigarette smoke.

Talk about the location & amenities - Very good location for tourists on a cheap budget close to all attractions, on the main road, taxi and bus available, including tube if you want to get pushed around like sardines.

Say what you liked best & least - The staff tried their very best to help me in their own way. The staff are good people, but you cannoyt trust the management. If you have a problem, the staff will help you until you are happy even if they call other people to find out best solution.

Tell use how was the food quality - Chinese food, fantastic if you love chinese food, no western food at all. very good staff in restuarant, helpful, happy and always waiting on you making sure you are comfortable and happy.

I would pay a few Yaun, or dollars or pound more and gget a better class hotel up the street closer to the city centre. For budget travellers this is ok, if you only want to shoer and sleep, but if you choose a more expensive room then my advice is to pay a few dollers more and get a better class hotel, english speaking staff and honest managers. All the main hotels have english or dutch speaking staff, western and chinese food and better quality rooms. Book in advance.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Lindon Business Hotel? Share your experiences!