“If really Enjoy Old Chinese Alleys! Got your place in Shanghai!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel

You added Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.159 Henan South Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200010, China (Yu Garden)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #29 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
4.5 of 5 stars 648 Reviews
“If really Enjoy Old Chinese Alleys! Got your place in Shanghai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We could not choose better! If you really want to walk in old Chinese Hood thru alleys and old markets with vendors and shop!! You want to be by Yu Gardens (hotel just Changed hands ) Its like being in Soho (NYC) right on the edge of center.....the staff is zippy, the food is great, breakfast dimsum is tasty....limited but tasty.....

bring our binoculars.....spectacular roof views from the bar....terrace...

Room Tip: Higher floors overlooking the Yu gardens....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

2nd time in Shanghai in 3 months but 1st stay @ Renaissance Yu Garden for my wife & I..
Our plane (China Eastern Airlines) was delayed 5 hours from Hong Kong!
We were a bit worried but when we rang the hotel about our delay, we were very
pleasantly assured that our room was guaranteed and we can check in anytime at all.
We finally got to the hotel exhausted@ 2:30am!
The staff were very courteous and friendly and understanding. The check in was no fuss at all.
our bags were brought to our room in no time.
We were on the 11th floor with stunning view of many famous buildings including The Pearl,
Aurora Building etc.
The room was very bright and clean and pretty big for Asian standard. We opted for 2 king singles in our room and they were very comfortable. The air conditioner worked perfectly.
The bath room was spacious and very bright (easy for my wife to put makeup on) and it has
a stand alone bath tub! Love the rain shower head.
Our stay included breakfast daily. International standards which was great.
Everywhere we turn, so many friendly staffs greet us warmly. Opening doors, asking what
they can do to assist us (without being pushy), really made us feel welcome.
The location of this hotel is great too. Right next to Yu Garden. Metro line is just across the
road. Many market stalls right behind the hotel. Taxi at the front of the hotel private entrance...
We promise to come back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is now one of my favourite hotels, here's why.

1) All staff are friendly & inviting, particularly the concierge team.
2) Room spacious & clean
3) Location, walking distance to the Bund, Nanjing rd, shopping & Yu garden.
4) Pool & views spectacular.

Dinner buffet was not good value (the only sour point) but after a hot and busy day in shanghai, we were too tired to go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel! Right from check in to check out, we had no concerns or issues.
Firstly the location is great, it was closer to the metro than I thought it would be, but it is also very easy walking distance to major sights like Yuyuan Garden, the Bund and Nanjing Road.
The room it self was lovely and we had a fabulous view over the Bund. The bed was super comfy, with great pillows, we slept so well!
We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, it had a good variety. We loved the dumplings.
The staff were friendly and spoke very good English, we could not fault the service.
If I were to return to Shanghai, I would definitely stay at this hotel. I also highly recommend it to other travellers who want to see a variety of sights whilst in Shanghai.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Nice hotel in a good location. The hotels communal areas and rooms are decorated to a high standard and provide all needed amenities. The bedrooms air conditioning unit was my only gripe as it was just too hot and didn't seem to cool.

The breakfast is a must, the best I had during a two week trip around China. The choice was endless and it changed daily. I ate room service and snacks during my stay and these were average at best. From checkin to checkout the staff were all friendly and polite.

The hotel offers excellent access to the subway with line 10 just across the road.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was the third time we stayed at this hotel and we'll be back. Great comfortable rooms, nice piano bar and a great roof top bar with amazing views at night. Loved being near the old town and not far from The Bund and YU Garden. Staff are very friendly and helpful feels like home to us. Highly recommend it.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ormond Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The hotel facility itself is quite nice. It is very conveniently located within walking distance to the Shanghai Museum, Yuyuan Garden, The Bund, and touristy shopping. It also has a fairly nice and well-equipped gym. I was surprised however to find that the staff was very consistently snotty. Everyone has bad days, but the staff here seem to be having daily bad days.

Although I live in a hot climate and spend a great deal of time outdoors, I found the room to be somewhat hot and humid. I asked for this to be addressed and was told that it was. It wasn't and the room remained a bit damp.

The food at this hotel was expensive, and the breakfast buffet was about $33. Laundry services were likewise somewhat excessive, and a soda from the minibar was about seven dollars. However, there are certainly alternatives readily available just outside the hotel.

One of the things I generally enjoy in Asian travel is the friendliness and kindness of those that work in the hotel industry. This place was an exception, and I could not even get assistance in carrying my luggage from my room while checking out, although I had requested it. Instead I was greeted with laughter when I brought it down myself to check out. I simply would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!