“Good hotel in great area for cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 101

Hotel 101
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shanghai
Hotel 101
You added Hotel 101 to your Saves list
No.18 Gaolan Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China (Huaihai Road)   |
Ranked #2,189 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
3.5 of 5 stars 3 Reviews
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good hotel in great area for cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

I agree with the review before me. I am a single female traveler and am actually here at the hotel (jetlagged and early). The area surrounding the hotel is beautiful. Many wonderful shops and restaurants and close to metro in French Concession. Dragonfly Spa is around the corner and upon arrival I treated my self to a wonderful foot and back massage. Also a short walk to a bar street near the Ruijin Hotel.

I was "upgraded" to a suite, the hotel is fully booked. This room is a "loft" type room with bed up a flight of stairs. Beds are hard (custom in China), but sheets and pillows good. There is a TV and free internet service. However, the carpets (and the sofa in my room) are ridiculously dirty. I can only think this is due to the popular Home nightclub downstairs and many partygoers coming up to the rooms with club sludge all over their feet. There are cheaply made slippers provided as I would not walk on this carpet barefooted.

The bathroom is very small, bad water pressure, but plenty of hot water. Also there are a wide variety of toiletries in the bathroom - toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, shampoos, shower gels, vanity kit.

I was starving upon my arrival last night and did not notice until this morning that there is limited room service with 4 items for 18RMB (about $2.50US) and breakfast is 15RMB.

Shanghai is an expensive hotel city, so all in all for $240RMB (about $35usd) I find this hotel to be a good bargain especially in such a charming area of Shanghai. I would compare this to an older 2-star hotel in the US. Hopefully management has plans to change the carpets soon. Very limited english spoken, and I also had trouble using my American Express, but Visa did the trick. I am attaching photos as I wish I would have seen some prior to my booking.

I

• Liked — Great price and locaiton
  • Disliked — Old and dirty carpets
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
Couples
Business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

The hotel 101 is a good choice to stay in Shanghai, located in the former French concession, and about 10 mins walk from South Shanxi Station, and about 5 mins on foot to Hua Hai Rd which is where there are lots of shops.

Room is well renovated, but strangely despite all the renovations, they kept the old carpets, which are stained and look terrible.

Electric showers have next to no water pressure. Hotel staff are ok, english is limited and wait to they ask you to pay by Chinese credit card, not international ones! You can get around it, but the language barrier is hard (This goes for China fullstop regretably)

The hotel has Home nightclub in the ground floor so expect weekends to be party central, but who goes to bed early on weekends anyways?

• Liked — Location right in the French Concession, tree lined streets surrounding
  • Disliked — Carpets in the rooms and hallways and lack of english from the staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london, england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

I was initially very impressed with this hotel. It's set off the main road and away from the traffic. The staff speak English well enough and can book a cab to anywhere you wish to go to. It's in the French Quarter, where I wanted to stay. I paid for a deluxe room and was very impressed with it. You enter to a large ish main room. There was a small sitting area, past the bed area. With two chairs, a table and vanity unit. To the left of this was a very large shower room.
All went well for the first night. However, there is a club attached to a night club. On Friday night, I got home and could hear the club noise in the hotel hallway. When I got into my room, I could feel the floor vibrating. I could not get to sleep, despite trying everything I could (pillows, ear plugs). The club music didn't stop until 4:30 am.
On the Saturday, I asked to be moved to another room. I was put in a room on the fourth floor. On Saturday night I got the same problem. I didn't get to sleep until 4 am. Sunday night was fine. I assume the extra noise was only for the weekend.
To sum it up, don't stay here at the weekend unless you're a night owl and don't intend to go to bed until very late at night. The rooms are supposed to be soundproofed but this is clearly not the case.

• Liked — Big room in a great location
  • Disliked — Unbearable noise from adjacent club
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel 101? Share your experiences!