“Zen Oasis in a Frenetic City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund

You added Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund to your Saves list
Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.839 Renmin Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200010, China (Yu Garden)   |
Ranked #51 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Hoboken, New Jersey, USA
“Zen Oasis in a Frenetic City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

As soon as you walk into the lobby, you're greeted by Buddha statues and a sense of Zen. I stayed six nights and only wished it were longer! The Narada Hotel is conveniently located to the Yu Yuan Metro stop (Line 10), and at the end of HuaHuai Road (major shopping street). From here you can walk or take the subway to The Bund, or to Nanjing Road (one subway stop away, or a 10-min walk). Old Street, where all the tourist shops are located,and the Fujian (or Fuxian?) Road night market, are a 5-min walk west. The hotel is on the western end of the French Concession. Just two blocks north is a street of local restaurants and snack/rice/dumpling shops. You have to eat yourself crazy while in Shanghai, the food is fantastic! And try the foot massage places near the hotel too, they're great! I stayed in a five-star hotel on Nanjing Road on a previous trip, and the remarkable differences were spaciousness and service. At the five-star, I had a multi-room suite with a real foyer. Here, I had a small, single room, but the design was very Zen and imparted a sense of calm. At the five-star, everyone behind the front desk spoke fluent English. Here, the English-speaking ability was a little limited. The clerks were more comfortable speaking Mandarin, but there was a Dutch guy who spoke many different languages and was the most helpful of all. Housekeeping was prompt and efficient every day. My room did not include breakfast, and I did not eat in the hotel at all except for the free in-room mini bar. I would highly recommend this beautiful hotel for those who want to explore the French Concession, and be away from the hustle-bustle of Nanjing Road.Thank you, Narada Hotel, for a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund, responded to this review, today
Dear Lenorelook,

In name of the entire team here at Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your time and efforts to share your experience with us and all TripAdvisor users. A special thanks for uploading your personal photos on this website.

We are delighted to read you have enjoyed many aspects of our Hotel and you would recommend our Hotel to others. Our goal is to provide the best possible service to our valued Guests and I am glad to read you appreciated our service to you. If you ever have the chance of staying in Shanghai again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly as breakfast will always be included if you book directly with the Hotel. On sunny days, we open our outside terrace with excellent views towards the skyline.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back another time.

ssawsh@outlook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed there for 6 days in April, and found the location great. Subway (line 10) 50 meters away, shopping district and Bund an easy walk, just a few blocks away.

Rooms are a good size and well cleaned daily. Free mini bar with soft drinks, water and biscuits restocked daily. Breakfast buffet was good with enough selection of western food available. Hamburger and Italian food cafe just next door. Hamburgers were great but a bit expensive at RMB 80 each.
Very helpful staff with enough English to get by. We complained about a taxi they had organized for us overcharging, so they checked their surveillance cameras, found the taxi and got a refund of RMB50. Incredible!

Free WiFi was adequate.

For the price, a great hotel

Room Tip: We had a basic room with a king size bed. Very comfortable and big enough.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dear Les H,

Warm greetings from Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund. We would like to thank you for your time and efforts to provide us your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. We are truly delighted to read your positive words and will definitely share your comments with our team.

Many foreigners will encounter some difficulties with local taxis during their stay in Shanghai and other major cities. We are again sorry for the trouble and would like to inform future travelers to use official taxis from the taxi rank only and the driver must always activate the taxi meter to avoid overcharging. Upon arrival at both the airport and Maglev station, many people offer you taxi services to your destination to skip the long queue for the official taxis. My suggestion is not to use their unlicensed services. I am glad to read we could solve this issue due to our surveillance cameras and contact the specific taxi company.

We look forward to welcome you back another time and would like to thank you for staying with us recently.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed in an executive room and other family members stayed in family rooms. Rooms are quite large, in fact I believe the family room was probably twice the size of my executive room even though they were the same price. Bed and room facilities are good. Breakfast had a good selection, but probably 75% orientated towards Asian taste. I think some people struggled to get a seat in the main area during breakfast, but when there are more people than spaces they opened up an extra seating area. Location is very convenient to walk to Yu gardens and Xintiandi.

My only negatives would be that the corridors have very dim lighting and were extremely cold (ie the air con was on in the corridors during winter time) that meant the hotel rooms were very cold when you first got into them. Also the gym was very poor, with only two treadmills and a cycle if memory serves, so don't expect much from this. Some receptionists also had problems understanding anything other than simple English (we had a problem and thought some luggage had gone missing), but the Manager was very helpful with dealing with English speaking guests.

Overall good stay, with excellent large rooms.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Nikhil V,

I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your most recent stay at Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund. We truly appreciate your positive words and we are eager to follow up your suggestions to improve our product and services.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated various aspects of our hotel, such as our spacious rooms, breakfast selection and central location in downtown Shanghai. In the past year we have improved our breakfast selection and have received much positive feedback. Our Western selection consists of: homemade pastries, fresh fruit, salad bar, sausages, different cereals, yoghurts and our egg station. In addition, we do provide Italian coffee, various juices and two kinds of milk. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have ideas what we could add to cater our foreign Guests.

Please accept my apologies if you had any trouble with our Front Desk staff during your stay due to the language barrier. Many of our staff is able to communicate in English and as you have kindly mentioned, we always have foreign staff on hand to assist you with any enquiry you may have. Your comments regarding our Gym will be taken onboard during our next meeting in order to improve this part of our Hotel. Once again, thank you very much for your time and efforts to provide us your honest feedback and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back another time.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We visited shanghai to sight see and meet with friends. The location was brilliant about 5mins walk away from a metro station (Yu Garden) and not far to the main district of east nanjing road/the bund.

The rooms themselves were very clean with a great rain shower and comfy bed which overlooked shanghai. The mini bar was complimentary with everything you needed.

The staff were very welcoming and free bottled water is provided in reception on arrival, which after a long flight from the UK was refreshing.

Overall i think this hotel is extremely good for the price. Location is excellent if you are looking to explore Shanghai, with our friends who live in China even commenting on the location of the hotel.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear valued Guest,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and the Tripadvisor community, we sincerely appreciate your time and efforts.

We are delighted to read you have enjoyed various aspects of our Hotel throughout your stay. Your comments will be shared with all team members during our meeting. Due to our central location and beautifully decorated rooms, we have the pleasure of welcoming many regular Guests. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back another time as well. If so, please do not hesitate to contact me directly by email in order to assist you with any enquiry. Once again, thank you very much for positive words regarding your most recent stay at Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund and we look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We spent one week of a seven week trip at this Boutique Hotel, and have nothing but praise for the entire experience.

While we have visited many countries and regions of Asia, this was our first visit to Shanghai, after spending 2 weeks in Hong Kong, and then going on to multi cities in Japan

From our first contact during the planning stage of our Shanghai visit, to our arrival and check-in and during the duration of our stay at Narada Boutique Hotel, Guest Services Manager Niels Taal and his team consistently went that ‘extra mile’ to ensure our stay met and in fact exceeded our expectations.

The Guest Services team were consistently welcoming, they offered good English speaking skills, and readily provided information on how to get around, where to visit or shop, good eating options, and what we should pay for taxi fares.

Nothing was any trouble.

Our Suite was very roomy and comfortable. The mini bar was a lovely touch The breakfast offered plenty of variety daily.

The service was top notch. The staff very always friendly and approachable.

More impressive - When you see the Guest Services Manager Niels Taal, in there beside restaurant staff clearing tables, later sweeping the roof terrace, or offering to get guests another cup of coffee, you know this is a hotel with exceptional inter-active staff relations, which, in turn shines through to excellent guest relations.

We totally agree with other reviews that the location was great for first time visitors, easy walking distance to many attractions, handy to train station etc, but most importantly, this review is about the Narada Boutique Hotel.

We would definitely stay here again, and highly recommend this to others.

Our sincere thanks to the team for making our stay so good.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,
Warm greetings from Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and all TripAdvisor readers.

Our aim is to provide all our valued Guests with the best possible service prior and during their stay. It was my pleasure to assist you with your planning prior your stay and I was glad to check you in personally. First impressions always counts but it does not mean we, as a medium sized Hotel, are finished. Many previous Guests pride us for close contact with most Guests and I personally invite many of our Guests for a cup of coffee after their exploring day in Shanghai.

I really appreciate your kind words and we hope to welcome you back another time. Many regular Guests have noticed that Shanghai is always changing. This gives you the chance to visit this interesting city again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly again for any further assistance. Once again, thank you very much for your kind words regarding Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at Narada for 5 nights last month in Mar. As the rooms were fully booked, I was given a room on the 2nd floor facing the road given the option to change to a higher floor from the 3rd day onwards. Honestly, it wasn't that bad on the 2nd floor. With the windows closed, I could barely hear the honking sound from the street below, and was in dreamland in no time.
For coffee lovers, each room comes with an espresso machine, with capsules. I purposely took just a small cup of coffee one morning so that I could test it out. Thumbs up.
The staffs are also very helpful and friendly, helping me to receive my parcels and keeping them safe.
The location is definitely a huge plus. Metro line 10 is just less than 5 mins' walk away. Opposite the street are eateries and massage parlours patronized mostly by the locals, but good enough for me. I enjoyed and appreciated the proximity of just crossing over the street for my dinner and massage and returning back to my room for an early rest after a tiring day at work.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Dear Susu0205,

Thank you very much for staying with us recently and for your positive rating on TripAdvisor.com.
We are delighted to read you have enjoyed many aspects of our Hotel and this was a pleasant 'home base' during your business trip.

At Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, all drinks in the mini-bar are complimentary and Guests may enjoy free espresso in their rooms daily. In addition, everyone is welcome to enjoy a free cup of Italian coffee at the Reception. According to my own experience, many foreigners enjoy this extra service, especially when staying in China for a long time.

Due to our central location in town, we have the pleasure of welcoming both tourists and business guests. The metro network in Shanghai is one of the best in Asia and it is very efficient to get around. As you have kindly mentioned; the nearest metro station is just a five minute walk away and many local eateries are within walking distance. I am very glad to read you could enjoy your dinner and massage near our hotel after your working day.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to stay with us again. Since I work at the Reception full-time, the best way to reach out to me is by email. Once again, thank you very much for your feedback.

Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The location of this hotel is perfect, metro just around the corner and easy walk to yuyuan garden, the bazaar and the bund.
Rooms are nicely decorated, nice bathroom. Beds are comfy, complimentary mini bar replenish daily and I loved the sitting area by the window.
Breakfast buffet had a lot of selection and was very tasty. The seating area was very nice and also there is a nice outdoor deck which unfortunately we did not use because of rainy weather. This hotel was our first stop and the breakfast available set the bar really high. Our other hotels did not have this great a selection.
It was a good place to try Chinese food without leaving hungry (in case you didn't like it) because there was plenty of "western" food. I see some reviewers not happy with the breakfast and I will never understand why?! The "western" option included four kinds of eggs: boiled, made to order omelets, scrambled and over easy, bacon, 3-4 kinds of bread, muffins, croissants, cookies and lots of pastries, cereal, 2 different kinds of jam, honey, cheese, cold cuts, fruit and salad bar and very good fresh coffee. I have a question to those complaining- what else do you eat at home? Pancakes and waffles? Because that was the only thing "missing" from "western" breakfast. We had 3 breakfasts , never ate the same thing and still did not try it all. And not even mentioning fries, baked duck and sushi. I'm not listing the Chinese food as I wouldn't know where to start.I think they cater to both Chinese and westerners.
The only reason I'm not giving an excellent rating is because other hotels that I previously rated excellent made me feel like "million bucks" and even though I can't complain, front desk spoke good English, check in and out was fast, but there was this personal touch missing. The reason might be because we had a guide and never really had any questions or issues so not blaming anybody just being fair.
In any case I gladly recommend this hotel and without question would stay here again.

P.S. to the two guest who try to teach me how to eat with chopsticks- great success -by the time I got to Beijing I was pro-thank you

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Megsiboo,

In name of the entire team here at Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, I would like to thank you for your extensive feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. In addition, we really appreciate the efforts to post your pictures on TripAdvisor to inform future Guests.

Please be assured your comments will be shared with our team at both the Front Desk and our Restaurant. We always try to provide our valued Guests with the best possible service from Check-in until Check-out. We do receive many positive comments regarding our breakfast selection and I am delighted to read this is one of the aspects of our Hotel you enjoyed the most. We are always open for constructive feedback and during breakfast we do ask our Guests about their ideas regularly. I am sorry to read you could not enjoy our rooftop terrace due to the rainy weather.

Thank you for explaining that the missing personal touch was the reason for not giving us five stars. Even though you have mentioned you did not require our assistance during your stay, because you organized your personal tour guide, I sincerely hope this did not affect your stay with us. We are always open for a chat and invite everyone to enjoy a coffee at the Reception. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 'ssawsh@outlook.com'.

ssawsh@outlook.com

Been to Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund? Share your experiences!