My crew checked into the hotel around 0530L on 09MAR13. Another First Officer and myself were to commercial out in less than ten hours. We requested ground transport for 1500L at check in and watched it being written. Due to our very short stay, I had asked the travel department to fax the outbound immigration paperwork to the hotel to be delivered to us on arrival. The fax was received but, the woman who checked us in refused to give us the paperwork. She stated that she needed it to make copies. I kindly asked her to place the fax under the room door when she was finished and explained we could not leave without it.
An hour before checkout, the paperwork was nowhere to be found. I called down to the front desk and my call was transferred twice before the paperwork was finally located and agreed to be sent up to my room. The other First Officer and I went to check out just prior to 1500L expecting to have our limo waiting. We discovered that it was not arranged as promised ten hours before. The two of us managed to make our flight but, the delay caused us uncertainty and grief.
Our brief visit to Shanghai was on a day that was unseasonably warm. The temperature reached 29C (84F). The air conditioning was intentionally switched off by the hotel. The thermostat on the wall showed an average room temperature of 26C (79F). I obtained a maximum of three hours sleep during my stay. The hotel exterior is heavily glassed, much like a greenhouse and the room felt like an incubator. In forty minute intervals, I awoke soaked in sweat and found it difficult to return to sleep. My colleague mentioned having the same experience. I would have been obliged to call in fatigued if I had been operating a flight. This was the second time in the past six days that rest was not achieved before a deadhead and find it surprising that operating crew members had been able to rest.
This Flight Crew Report is similar to my most recent FCR of a few days ago. Both reports express a gross lack of leadership of the hotel GMs in what seems to be ill placed “cost saving measures.” In reading past FCRs for this particular hotel, air conditioning issues had been previously mentioned.
The Hotel Responded:
1) Fax issues – in my opinion, it was a misunderstanding of communication in the beginning, since our front desk staff saw the DND lights on when she had come to the door in front of guest room, then she put paper at the front desk. We do apologize to the crew member and will put more training in the communication skill for our staff.
2) Air Condition – we recently did the system maintenance early March this year. We believe it will not be happened again in future.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Shanghai Hotel And Residences Pudong
- Sheraton Shanghai
- Sheraton Shanghai Hotel Residences Pudong
- Shanghai Sheraton
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In central Pudong, metro station nearby and luxury hotel with 24h fitness center. Convenient location. In central Pudong business area, close to Int'l Exhibition Center,EXPO Center and Mercedes-Benz Arena. Easy access to places of interests both in Puxi and Pudong through Nanpu Bridge. Metro station is 1-min away. Dining and Leisure: Hotel features an indoor pool, 24-hour fitness center and a fully-service spa. Besides 2 restaurants and lobby lounge at Sheraton, guests could also sign bills at Four Points next door in restaurants and bar. Modern-equipped Guestroom: All spacious rooms are equipped with Sheraton Sweet Sleeper™ Beds, 32-inch LCD TV, mini bar, direct-dial telephones with voicemail, Internet and safebox to have laptop. Bathroom with separate bathtub and shower. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Starwood APAC, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Otel, Ctrip DaoDao, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz and Tingo so you can book your Sheraton Shanghai Hotel & Residences Pudong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.