“Great Veiw” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences

You added Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences to your Saves list
Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.38 Pujian Road, Pudong New District, Shanghai 200127, China (World Expo)   |
Ranked #104 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Langley
“Great Veiw”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We arrived and the check in was quick. I was very happy with the room, spacious, comfortable. The wife loved the bathroom, the shower was great. Our room had a great view of the Nanpu Bridge over the river, and to the Puxi side of Shanghai. At night it was awesome.
The Breakfast buffet was incredible, but a little pricey if it is not included. We did have breakfast there everyday and enjoyed the food. The lounge was very nice to sit and relax with a drink or a pot of tea while using the WIFI, we did not have problems with the Wifi that others had. We were using our iPads with out any problems in the lounge or in the buffet restaurant.
The meeting rooms were Ok, we were here for a small conference but the temperature was to hot in the meeting room and in our hotel room. We had to open the window in our room to cool down and with the pollution as bad as it was when we were in Shanghai I did not like having to open a window to cool down.
The location was OK, not my first choice as we had six days for sight seeing and having to cross the river to go to the Bund and other places was an inconvenience. There was always a taxi waiting to take us were ever we wanted to go and taxis in Shanghai are very inexpensive. The Concierge has cards with the names of the popular spots to go in Chinese and English so you just have to show the cab driver were you want to go.
The service was outstanding, we were always treated with respect, and the staff always made sure that we were taken care of. Will I go back to the Sheraton Residence in Pudong, probably not, but not because of the hotel or the staff but because of the location and wanting to stay closer the entertainment district. I would recommend it for business travel though, a very comfortable well kept hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residenceand Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us your valuable comments.

I was very pleased to learn from our guest satisfaction surveythat you rated us,even though we may have succeeded in meeting your expectations this time, we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

With regards to room temperature, we will check whether other guests have the same concerns, and make sure our guests have a comfortable stay with us.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit again.

Thank you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

As with pretty much all Starwood properties in Shanghai the service is great. I'm not sure it's quite at the level of the Hangkou but it's still good. The issue is more the hard product in this case. I'll start with the issues and then get on to the good things.

No wi-fi in-room and the only jack I could find was in the living room. I knew this coming in but we had a work conference in the hotel so I couldn't stay anywhere else. I brought a long enough cable to reach elsewhere in the unit but just barely. The Internet itself was also relatively slow and inconsistent. Some of this is due to China's policies around managing access to the Internet outside of China but some of this was definitely the hotel.

I was moved over to the residences side of the property and I'm assuming your-mileage-may-vary but I could not for the life of me get the temperature in the room to stay cool. I kept my windows open in both the living room and bedroom open almost the entire stay I was there (9 days). Only one night, in January, did it get cold enough that I closed a few of them. I had the thermostats set to heat off so I don't even know where the heat was coming from.

The room itself was comfortable and large. Having a washer/dryer in-unit was nice since I was able to do laundry one evening without waiting for it to come back (plus saved some bucks) but a word of caution, those units are small and take a long time if you plan on using the dryer. I chose to hang my laundry to prevent wrinkles that I got the first cycle in the dryer.

The bed was comfortable and not too firm. Two different pillow firmness options which was also good.

The televisions were just meh. Not the greatest quality and the remote was somewhat bizarre. You hit the power button then wait 3-4 seconds before any indication it is indeed powering up. They should just move to a name brand that works right.

The bathrooms were also well cleaned and the traditional Starwood shower with waterfall option. At least it wasn't the case where the shower overlooks the rest of the room.

Overall I thought the room showed signs of being kept up very well.

The service in the common areas was good without being pushy. The staff in Feast was also good and kept my coffee cup filled and dirty plates out of the way. The quality of the food in Feast was better than the other Sheratons I thought. The egg station quality varied a bit though.

Location wise, the hotel worked for me. It was about a 20 minute walk to my office there and about a 30 or so minute walk to Century Park on the weekends if memory serves. Taxis were relatively easy to get out front. It's also not in a typical tourist area which I was happy about. I've done that enough to know it's more annoying that beneficial. It's also right on a Metro line so if you like the subway it makes it super easy to get around.

Overall, if they can fix the Internet issue I'd stay here again. I expect the heat issue is not the same for every unit.

Room Tip: If you like a large room, go residences tower. Elevators not the fastest so only go high floors if...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residenceand Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time tocomplete the our online questionnaire.

Judging from the scores you’ve rated, we may have failed in meeting your expectations in the area of no wifi and umcomfortable temperature in the room. It is regrettable that we missed this opportunity to impress you by our Sheraton service. If Possible, I would very much appreciate if you could share some details that you rated in order for us to investigate the root cause & improve immediately.

With regards to the internet service at the hotel we completely agree. We are currently working on upgrading our facilities to ensure we have High Speed Wireless available in all rooms and public areas. We plan to have this project completed within the next few months.

Again, I must apologize for the inconvenience you endured. I know we can do better therefore I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Of course, if I can assist in future bookings please do not hesitate to contact us.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Excellent double superior room, was very very impressed. I probably enjoyed my room more than the trip to Shanghai itself. Not as well located in up market areas as some similarly priced hotels but taxis are cheap & incredibly frequent. Loved the chez lounge facing out of a almost full length window which over looked the river.
Big desk for an potential business trips.
Well groomed attentive staff.
Didn't try any internet as I was only there for a short stay but I've heard its a bit rubbish.
Neither did I try the food as I was on a tight spending budget.
Bit of a mission from the hotel but opted to try the mag lev train/taxi with friends on the way there.
The bathroom is exquisite! Great products too.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to complete our online questionnaire.

I was very pleased to learn from the scores that you rated us, even though we may have succeeded in meeting your expectations this time, we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

If there are any associates or event made you feel special during your stay, Please also kindly to share with us, it would be pleasure to convey your comments to my colleagues and recognize their efforts.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit. .

Rochester Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. Very modern, clean, spacious, and great service. The restaurant provided a fantastic breakfast every morning with a tremendous amount of options. At least 6 different stations from hot western items, chinese options, pastries, to fresh fruit and juices. The staff was pleasant and very attentive.

This hotel has the potential to be ideal for business travelers once the internet problems are fixed. I was there for 4 days and every day it took almost 20 minutes to get my laptop connected to the internet using the LAN access which is completely unacceptable. I understand that the hotel is working on adding WiFi in the guest rooms but they also need to take a hard look at their provider and connection speeds.

Overall this is a very high end hotel with exceptional rooms, service and convenience to public transportation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Judging from the scores you’ve rated, we may have failed in meeting your expectations in the area of Internet speed and connection. It is regrettable that we missed this opportunity to impress you by our Sheraton service. If Possible, I would very much appreciate if you could share some details that you rated in order for us to investigate the root cause & improve immediately.

Again, I must apologize for the inconvenience you endured. I know we can do better therefore I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Of course, if I can assist in future bookings please do not hesitate to contact me.
Erlangen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had a very nice stay at the Sheraton Pudong. The room was nice and spacy, service was good, breakfast buffet was phantastic. The only thing that should be improved is the internet access. There is no WiFi in the rooms (LAN only) and internet access is often a bit bumpy. Apart from that I can't complain at all.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a river view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residenceand Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us your candid comments.

With regards to the internet service at the hotel we completely agree. We are currently working on upgrading our facilities to ensure we have High Speed Wireless available in all rooms and public areas. We plan to have this project completed within the next two months.

Karachi, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I along with my few business colleagues visited China in May 2012.
We had a schedule to visit different sea ports of China and Hong Kong.
Sheraton Shanghai Hotel Pudong was our first destination in China.
We stayed there for two nights, The rooms are spacious and very comfortable.
Quality and variety of food was excellent and I did not regret staying away from home in a room closer to sky. The only thing that I did miss was my spouse who was left behind in my country due to our kids education. We have planned to re visit this place in vacations with our four kids.
I was delighted to see people from around the world who were enjoying their stay at this hotel.
Staff was so courteous and cooperative but there was a communication barrier that is to be looked into.
Services provided in the executive lounge were superb.The buffet breakfast is great, but the place got very crowded at certain times that causes reduced comfort level.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter but Corner suites are large and sunny and equally good to stay.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

I was very pleased to learn from the scores that you rated us, even though we may have succeeded in meeting your expectations this time, we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features, especially in language skills.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit. .

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The hotel is in good upkeep and decoration. The staff is attentive, but not overly smothering. No internet WiFi in the room is invconvient. Restaurant and room service food is good. Western food is fine for those first time visitors to China. Chinese restaurant in house is good and authentic. Location is not close to much business or attraction, however it has a Metro station at the hotel making travel via subway easy and taxis are almost always plentiful.

Room Tip: Choose the club level rooms to take advantage of the executive lounge food and drink. Breakfast in t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 17, 2013

Been to Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences? Share your experiences!