“Nice budget, and nice room. I recommend the hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hundred Centuries Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hundred Centuries Hotel to your Saves list
Hundred Centuries Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1528 Xizang South Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200011, China (The South Bund)   |
Ranked #366 of 3,926 Hotels in Shanghai
東京
“Nice budget, and nice room. I recommend the hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel is not at the city centre, however it is very nice access to go anywhere.

There are two underground lines crossing.
The station is near the hotel.
It is only one minute by walk.

The room is very wide, clean, and the beds are also very wide. There are a lot of amenities, so you can get a very comfortable stay.
The breakfast included. It is not bad.
If you are looking for a budget hotel, I suppose it is the best.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Beijing, Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Location is fairly good - right next to the South Xizang metro station on lines 8 and 4, with easy access into city centre. Area itself is fine, there are some small shops (e.g. a convenience shop across the road), but not a part of the city you'd go out of your way to visit.

Room was good - clean, modern, fairly large, nicely decorated, decent internet connection (through plug-in only, no wireless), good bathroom.

The main disappointment for us was that our room didn't have a window. We booked through Elong and had been led to believe that we were getting a with-window room at a discount price (there was a separate option for no-window rooms), but ended up being put in a no-window room nonetheless. We suspected this might happen, and in the end it was fine, but a disappointment nonetheless.

I'll probably stay there again on future visits to Shanghai - a good mid-range option.

Room Tip: Be careful when booking to make sure that room has a window, if that's something you care about...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The hotel is located right next to the subway station (less than 100m) and the staff was very friendly.
We booked the cheapest room possible which had no windows, but it did not affect the quality of the air, since there was some sort of circulating system that prevented the room from smelling awkward. The only negative aspect about not having windows was the lack of daylight which made us a bit tired in the morning.
Apart from that, the room was very big and very clean.
The breakfast was alright, just the usual buffet you get in a chinese hotel.
In comparison to the price we paid, the hotel was great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Location is not in the Bund, as advertised by TripAdvisor. It's just SW of Old Town, but there is a subway stop literally right outside the front door, so you can get wherever you want in town with relative ease. Very modern facility, nice rooms. Ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was very good; breakfast was average Chinese buffet. Room had no wifi, but the Ethernet ports worked fine, and I believe they provide a cable. Bathroom was very nice. Beds huge; one of the biggest rooms I had in all of China. Very reasonable price. I was a little surprised to find the carpet incongruously stained for how clean the place was (none of that Chinese cigarette stench), but not a huge deal. Room had a safe.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here while accompanying my husband on a business trip. The room was spacious with modern decor and a large luxury bathroom. Beds are hard but great for your back. We were only a few minutes walk from the metro and 15 minute taxi rides from other attractions. While the staff were friendly we had a few problems communicating our requirements for double beds during checkin. (2 couples, one 6 year old and a single turning up separately didn't assist this process). Also what appears to be the usual issue-ridden and elongated checkout process was provided. Breakfast was included and of a good standard with enough western options to suit the six year old and great dumplings and steamed buns for the grownups. I would stay again though. The hotel is good value for money.

Room Tip: Invest the time at the front desk negotiating for what you want. Generally they want to give couples...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
San Jose
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We received absolutely NO customer satisfaction at this hotel. The list is endless. I'll try to summarize.

It all began when our flight was delayed and instead of arriving Thursday night, we were arriving Friday morning. In order not to lose our entire reservation, we had to agree to pay for the lost night. Fine. We were just arriving in China, excited for our vacation.

Upon arrival to the hotel, and with an absolutely stifling language barrier at hand, we were motioning, writing, and signing all of the information we needed to convey to one another at the front desk. Finally, we received our room key and rushed to get ready and take off to a lunch for which we had reservations.

About 15 minutes into unpacking our bags and getting freshened up for lunch, we were called and asked to move rooms - no bellhop - so we threw everything back into suitcases and transported all 5 to another room - which was smaller.

Fast forward to evening - asked for a wake-up call at 5:00 a.m. Received no wake-up call. Only call received was by family member at 5:45 a.m. who said we needed to leave the hotel at 6:00 a.m. to make it to the train station for pre-purchased tickets to another city. Jumping out of bed like maniacs (there was NO CLOCK in the room!), we rushed to turn the lights on, but needed to insert the room key into a box to activate power. Well, the key broke, so we had to attempt to get "ready" in the complete dark. After jamming out of the hotel showerless, makeup-less, unkempt hair, and hailing our own cab outside, we were off on our way.

Upon return, we reported that we needed a new key, because due to not receiving a wake-up call and rushing around, we broke the key in half. Then, they wanted to charge us. And I politely disagreed that I did not want to pay for they key because it was an accident, and we didn't get our wake-up call and had to get dressed in the dark so we wouldn't miss the train. When I again was asked to pay for the key, I reminded them about the wake-up call, and that we paid for an additional night for which we did NOT stay in the hotel, and that the customer service was very unsatisfactory. After at least an hour more of arguing, more writing, more signing, one of the staff said that we would be refunded for the night we weren't here upon checkout. I even asked a relative to ask his Chinese-speaking friend to call the hotel. He said it's no use in arguing, he'll try to deal with it later, just pay for the key and get some rest - so I did.

Now, fast forward to checkout. Another absolute nightmare. First step, get deposit back. Well fine, until they decided that we opened a bottle of Jack Daniels from the minibar. NO! Did not touch it, never even SAW it. We spent all of our time rushing in and out of that hotel room, with no leisure, didn't put on the slippers, the robe, didn't even look at the mini bar. But apparently, we "opened" the bottle. So then 7 people later and all kinds of discussions, which I could not understand, they still insisted that we opened the bottle. And then proceeded to offer it to us since we did so. I adamantly said NO I did not touch the bottle, we did not open that, I wouldn't take it even if it were given to me free. I am NOT paying for it! So finally we got to the end of that, and they waived it for whatever reason.

Then I reminded them that we were supposed to be refunded for the 5th night, the night we were not here due to flight delays. After another 30 minutes and 7 more people and phone calls, she firmly said I'm sorry I cannot give you money back. I walked away absolutely in disbelief about the poor quality of service that this hotel displayed over the ENTIRE time we stayed there. Absolutely despicable.

I would NEVER ever recommend this hotel to a visitor regardless of price or location (steps from Gate 2 of the Shanghai 2010 Expo) - - had an extremely unscrupulous experience and plan to make further contact with the hotel about my experience there, and hope to at least get my 5th night refunded due to the trouble and dissatisfaction.

• Stayed September 2010
Country Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

This hotel was 50m from an entrance to Expo, so you could not get closer for the price. It was clean, had a fridge, the beds were soft, and it had free internet. Our room had a giant pillar in the middle, and our kids room had no window. The floors were all double or all twin, so we could not be on the same floor as the kids. There was one reception staff who spoke English, so we had to wait our turn. We tried to extend our stay, but the price doubled, so we went elsewhere. We were only given one breakfast per room per day.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hundred Centuries Hotel? Share your experiences!