“Hotel that take care of business as well as family travelers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Eton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Eton Hotel to your Saves list
The Eton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.535 Pudong Avenue, Pudong New Area, Shanghai 200120, China (Lujiazui)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Summer Family Fun Package
Ranked #72 of 3,738 hotels in Shanghai
Changshu, China
“Hotel that take care of business as well as family travelers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I will say that the Eton Hotel is one of my favorite hotels to stay in Shanghai, either for business or with my family. The Eton staff makes me feel like my family is important to them as well to me to make sure they are taken care of. Every time I come to the Eton with my family, they always make sure my special requirements for my two year old daughter ( they set up special mattress and pillows on the floor) are ready in my room before I arrive. The restaurant staff in the Eton Cafe as well as the Superbowl are always making sure the quality as well as the service is a high standard. The bellman at the door and in the hotel make sure that if I need anything they are at my disposal. My family and especially my daughter look forward when they join me when I come to Shanghai for business. With all the 5-stars so called hotels in Shanghai, I recommend the Eton.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask the management for any specific requirements you need to make your stay c...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Out of the 4 hotels I stayed in for my China business trip, this was the longest and the best. I stayed a total of 5 nights here.

THe hotel location is on the Pudong side, very close to the business district. I would recommend this if most of your appointments are on this side of the river.
It's further from Shanghai Hongqiao airport which is in Puxi, but close to Pudong International AIrport.

The metro line Pudong Ave is just across the road to the hotel, and a few stops down will be Nanjing Road where all the main attractions and shopping are.

I got a room on the 31st floor at first, large comfortable room, plenty of daylight which I love, and an awesome view of the river. I love the huge bathrooms with separate shower and a large bathtub, and lots of daylight again.
Only gripe again would be that they only offer cabled internet which does not work for my iPad, but when I told them that, they very kindly moved me to the higher floors where wifi is available.

Breakfast was a huge spread, but I especially love the dough fritters with soya bean drink. As there were no nearby dining options, I had most of my dinners at the hotel, at Eton Cafe. The staff are very attentive and the manager was alert and professional. My mushroom risotto came without the mushrooms, I pointed this out and it was quickly rectified, and a plate of fresh fruits was offered as compensation.

The housemaid which cleaned my room on the 37th floor was also really friendly and helpful. I made coffee but the cup was cracked so I spilled coffee all over the counter and had to use the towels to clean up. She reacted within seconds of my call and even refilled my coffee sachets right there.

The good training in any hotel is not shown in the lack of problems and issues, but how quickly and effectively problems are solved and compensated.

I had a great stay and would definitely love to return.

Room Tip: For business travel, for a hassle free stay, go for the executive floors where wireless internet is...
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Ideal location, so close to Pudong Ave Metro Station, rooms were equipped with everything you could need inkl. a breathtaking view (but no WIFI). Spa, Sauna and indoor pool of very high standard. The buffet breakfast was huge and had excellent quality. Buffet selection in the evening European / Shanghai (Asian), the best Restaurant in the hotel is located on the 3rd floor inkl. the best Waiter - Jeffrey! And also thanks again to Mr. Miler - he was always present!
We feel like VIP's because he has always recognized and greet us. Gave us great tips (shopping / taxi / Dicso / Massages). I award my 5 stars:
1 Star: Mr. Miler + Jeffrey (great Staff)
1 Star: Location (Metro in front of the entrance)
1 Star: Room (stunning View but no WIFI)
2 Stars: Food (Quality and variety)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Galveston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stained carpets in the first room. The carpet was clean in the room for my second stay.
They need to work on training the staff. When you get off the elevator for breakfast, they practically bark orders at you asking for your room number well before you arrive at the hostess stand. A good thing is that the rooms are all quiet.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in April and after messing up my own booking I found the front desk staff very accomodating when I checked in at midnight a day early! I managed to negotiate the room rate to match my much cheaper online rate, booked in advance on Agoda (about 150gbp per night), admittedly after a little pleading and speaking with the manager, but I was very grateful they were so accomodating.

I stayed on the executive floor which was wonderful; I had an extremely comfortable room with a huge bed and bathroom; shower room, seperate toilet and tub. I think it was the 38th floor looking towards the river so the view was great too. The hotel was very quiet, an oasis from busy Shanghai and the bed was certainly the best I had in 2 weeks travelling in China.

The executive floor has its on lobby and breakfast area and the food was good. There seemed to be quite a few staff who while all pleasant were not always as helpful and prepared for executive guests - I asked for a pad and pen one morning at breakfast and they couldn't seem to find one! and the lady cooking the eggs was far more interested in texting ... but that aside it was a lovely place to stay and I would recommend it and return.

There is a subway station right across the street so while the hotel isn't in the centre of Shanghai it is very easy to get around, it was about a 30 min journey to the Bund via the subway.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view
Jarnac, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

It's been only three years since I first stayed at the Eton (and only five since it opened) and a few time since, this time however, it seemed off.
The bed and pillows are still excellent, but it's more than a few scuff marks on the furniture that showed a bit of an overall decline. I had to change rooms as there was a major sewer gas smell in mine. The same room had AC trouble as well.

The most obvious to me this time around was that the staff, though polite, seemed a bit less well versed in english than during previous visits. Concierge was unable to assist with the simple matter of finding a shop, breakfast staff served espresso, when I ordered Eggs Benedict. They were posted as breakfast special of the day and even the cook was surprised when I wanted some. The result was a mediocre version with a rock hard biscuit.

Nothing a good management team could not fix, unless they as so many other properties around town are more than happy with their growing domestic clientel.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask for a different room if you are unhappy with the assigned one.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

Conveniently situated in the financial district of Shanghai is this stunning hotel. All staff are impeccable in presentation and very curious to their visitors, they also had no trouble speaking English which I found very good. I stayed in room3336 and found the view inspiring and did not want leave, make sure you visit some of the many great landmarks while you visit this terrific city!

• Stayed March 2012

Been to The Eton Hotel? Share your experiences!