“Affordable luxury near Lujiazui” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Eton Hotel

You added The Eton Hotel to your Saves list
The Eton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.535 Pudong Avenue, Pudong New Area, Shanghai 200120, China (Lujiazui)   |
Ranked #84 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
4.5 of 5 stars 470 Reviews
shanghai
“Affordable luxury near Lujiazui”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We bought a "group purchase" deal including a 1 night stay, massage for 2 and a brunch buffet for 2 for a weekend escape and thought it was a good value.
The rooms are really beautiful and well appointed with last tech features such as TV in the bathroom, big LCD screen etc. The bed is comfy and big, bathroom too (toiletries provided but the usual mediocre quality), actually I don't remember having any issues with the room.
The massage was their so called signature massage and honestly it was nothing at all. I wouldn't judge the quality of Vita spa by that as it was a group purchase, but it was truly disappointing, it's like the massage you can do to yourself with some oil without any skill involved.
We just took a look at the swimming pool and it looked good, but didn't try it.
The brunch was exactly the same as the dinner buffet which we tried on another occasion. Good variety with differing quality, includes free flow beer and funny Filipino musicians animating the restaurant; overall pretty good given the price (around 250 RMB I think).
We did have a few issues with the service, as they wouldn't let us take the brunch forcing us to take the dinner buffet saying the restaurant was fully booked for the brunch which we found was obviously not true, but this is to be expected with group deals (although not less unnerving for that matter).
Other than that we enjoyed our stay and I think it's a convenient choice and good value for anyone who wants to stay around Lujiazui. Would easily recommend it unless looking for top luxury.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed in a single deluxe room with king sized bed on 36th floor and the room is incredibly spacious, modern, and comfortable - especially the bed and pillows. Wow, every night I slept like a baby!

Even though my company booked the reservation, I noticed there were many great deals on the hotel's website.

There are many tasty restaurants in the hotel, and the gym/pool were awesome.

The location is great too - right across the street from the Pudong Metro, and just one stop from business district. The hotel also offered a free morning shuttle bus to the business district, but no returns in the afternoon/evening.

My only complaint is lack of WiFi in the rooms, as cable modem was only available. But WiFi was available in all of the restaurants and lobby.

All in all, a great hotel that made me feel comfortable, welcome, and the staff were great! Would definitely come back again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I just checked in the hotel today. It is supposed to be a 5-star hotel. The lobby is not very spatious and it has a strong fragrance. The room is ok, I had a double bed room and can see part of the Huangpu river. But it seems to me that the management of this hotel is subpar. The bed is a little bit damp due to the weather. But the room seems pretty clean. It is to my surprise that the room doesn't have a coffee maker, it does have a water pot to boil the water. In the tap, it says that the water is drinkable, but I don't believe it, the water is a little bit smelly. The hotel guide has missing pages. They don't have wireless internet in room, which is a surprise to me. My room fee include the internet. But I could not connect to the internet in the beginning. After a couple of minutes, I realized the internet light is not on, so I'm pretty sure that the room is not connected. I called the customer support, immediately the internet is connected. But in their instruction, they didn't mention that I have to call them to activate the internet and when I asked why I need to call them, they even didn't admit I have to call them to activate it. They just said I need to try one more time. But I know for sure the room is not connected before I call. Not sure why they won't admit it and don't bother to put this step into the instruction sheet.

Overall, I think this is at most a 4-star hotel. I won't rate it 5-star. I rate it average based on its price and service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Changshu, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This hotel is one of the few that you don't hear about with all the 5-star hotels in Shanghai, China. This hotel ranks very high with me with there friendly staff and very comfortable rooms. The Buffet is very good and it has many of the 5-star amenities that make this hotel a cost effective business hotel to stay while visiting Shanghai.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I had travelled to Shanghai with my Husband on his business trip. We stayed at Eton Hotel for 3 days,stay was within our budget and our experience was excellent.

This was my first visit to Shanghai and hotel staff provided us with best services that made us content. On Checking in, at the reception they had adviced us some good indian restaurants that we should surely visit. It was great help to us. It was very convenient for us to get a taxi outside the hotel,the door kepper would assist us by explaining the destination to taxi driver in Chinese.

The rooms were spacious, neat with best amenities.We just ate breakfast which included large varities of cuisines,it would surely match your taste.The Eton Hotel has superb fascilities of gym, swimming pool and Spa. I had a great Body Massage with the discount coupon given to us complementary by hotel.

My husband has visited Shanghai earleir, but his experience at the Eton hotel was the best among all and we highly recommend it.If We visit Shanghai again,Eton hotel would be our choice again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

As a frequent visitor to Shanghai, I took advantage of a special deal to try the Eton instead of my usual hotel in Pudong.
First off this was a far better location next to a subway and one block from the River and ferry.
View from my bedroom window was stunning.
I stayed her on two occassions, the first in a room overlooking the river, the next was a complimentary upgrade to a corner suite which was outstanding and a bathtub large enough to invite all your close friends
The standard of the hotel throughout was excellent.
They have the best pool, spa, gym I have seen in any hotel anywhere.
Breakfast is not to be missed the selection and food is excellent.
But there are a few negatives, the first being that restaurant meals in the evening were mediocre at best. Dont waste your time or money.
And a big gripe for me is any business hotel that cannot offer hi speed wifi internet. - and it should be free. The Eton wifi was patchy, worked in some areas and not others and despite their IT manager trying to resolve all the issues, he admitted that it was not able to provide a good service.
When will hotels wake up and just as we expect lights, running hot and cold water, wifi is essential when travelling, should work throughout the premises and should be free

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I have been coming to Shanghai for a few years now and the Eaton is the best place for the money. The rooms are clean, the staff is nice and the executive floor is great!

Two things on this place that they need to change. There is an odor on the first floor that is "weird " but you can get used to it. The biggest problem that I have here is that the restaurants are not good. If you want a good meal, take a cab to the Grand Hyatt or the Park Hyatt down the street for 14RMB and get a great meal with a great view of the city.

I have stayed in the Eaton many times and each time it is for 2 weeks or more.

Great place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Eton Hotel? Share your experiences!