“My Go To Hotel in Shanghai” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan

You added Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.199 Handan Road, Shanghai, China, Shanghai 200433, China (Jiangwan / Wujiaochang)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #78 of 3,924 Hotels in Shanghai
Hannibal, Missouri
“My Go To Hotel in Shanghai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have stayed in several hotels in Shanghai (Huating, Jiang Guo, Holiday Inn Vista Shanghai, etc) but Crowne Plaza Fudan has one of the best value and service. I have to disclose that I'm a Priority Club Platinum Member so in most cases I get upgraded.
The staffs are always good.
The property owner had done a good job maintaining this place.
Hotel location is close to the "Bund". In fact rooms like 1617 ( i believe) will have a view of the Pudong financial district and the "bund".

The only thing I wish they will upgrade are the fitness machines. They need better elliptical machines, threadmill, etc.

Their pool is always clean and very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms like 1412, 1612 are excellent. Thye are large and very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.we are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay with us and that hotel facilities made your stay experience more memorable.We will continue to strive in delivering quality service,allowing our guest to indulge in the best they deserve.
Once again,we look forward to your next stay with usand continuous support in the near future.Thank you !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Tehran, Iran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Having a good vacation is a chance, and if you're traveling to china during a dream season . there's a pretty good chance of that happening by stay in a wonderful hotel .

Never fear, though, finding a good hotel is risk but i tell you that Crowne plaza fudan shanghai is wonderful hotel .

This is not special advertisement, but is available to booking for stay and get an clean room with beautiful veiw and plus food and beverage, when you use it. Should you change your mind at the last minute about your vacationing in this hotel because it sure you to stay again .
Sonia

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear SJ,

Thanks so much for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us .I will share your comment with the service team. We will continue to strive in delivering quality services,allowing our guests' indulge in the best they deserve.

Thank you once again,Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Regards
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel for almost two weeks while in a business trip that involved the Fudan University nearby.
Nice modern hotel, with spacious rooms and helpful and friendly staff, that will spontaneously bring you a lemonade when they see you working for some time with your computer at the lobby. I would like to highlight especially Christine Wu, the front office manager that solved a problem our party had on the invoicing of our stay, and was always available to help, and Jack Jtang, a concierge assistant who achieved getting our luggage delivered from the Pudong International airport late in the evening of our arrival.
On the less positive side there are is a problem with the fact that many of the junior staff and trainees do not fully understand english, and that creates issues in very simple situations like asking for an espresso coffe or confirming your taxi for the airport.Some rooms have inadequate internet coverage but you can solve that by using the public areas of the hotel.
The hotel is located far away from the center ( 40 min tax ride) but we chose it knowing this, so if you want a centrally located offering this is not the choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear JMNV,

Thank you for taking the time to share the valuable comments with us.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your spacious room and facilities,also our staff and service helped in making your visit enjoyable.Meanwhile,As for the multi-language communication problem you mentioned,we have forward this comment to related department and they will strengthen the training.Hoped you could feel our progress in the next stay!

Thanks again for your time.Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Trieste, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Few things embody the essence of a "non-lieu" (approximately a "non-place" *) as fast-food restaurants and hotels of big international chains. Globalised travellers, expecting to eat the same food and to sleep in the same decor all over the planet, will be reassured to feel "at home" in this recently established high-standard "non-lieu". The only element that would make you guess that this hotel is located in the "central kingdom" are the uniforms of the staff (that could have been designed in Disney studios for some eastern characters), and the breakfast that offers a rich Chinese-style menu (more about breakfast and food services below). Other than this, rooms are spacious and clean. Air conditioning works properly and, above all, silently. I was slightly disappointed to notice that my room, while being designated as "non-smoking", slightly but distinctly smelled cigarette smoke. The bathroom is wide and comfortable, with lots of toiletry and towelry provided and frequently changed.

Breakfast is fine with excellent western- and Chinese-style options. The only element of disappointment was tea, which is decidedly cheap. I experienced the same problem in other Chinese or Taiwanese hotels as well. Evidently, they do not deem western palates able to discriminate between tea and straw ... If it was not for this detail, I would rank breakfast higher. You can order indeed quite a decent green or oolong tea at their café, but that would cost you a fortune. Snacks and drinks are also quite expensive, and so are the SPA services.

The location is just perfect if you are visiting the Fudan University, which is just a few strides away, across a main road. All in all, not a bad option if you are traveling for business (what else would you go to Shanghai for, in the first place?).

Service is polite, but may dangerously fall short of your expectations. It took me a long time to let them understand what kind of airport transportation my host (the Fudan University) wanted them to arrange for me. They finally called my host and decided that the arrangement had to be made by the concierge, rather than by the front desk. I was not very satisfied of this, but I felt reassured when some time later I got a call in my room, confirming the reservation of a limo. The day after no limo showed up, and I had a very hard time convincing them to call a taxi and to charge it to my room bill, as requested by my host … I later got some apologies by email, though ...

(*) "If a place can be defined through its identity, history, and relations, a space that is devoid of any identity, history, and relations can only be defined as a non-place" [Marc Augé, Introduction à une anthropologie de la surmodernité]

Room Tip: If you ask for a non-smoking room, you may want to make sure the room you get does not smell what it...
Dear Stehbar,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience in Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan with us.

About the limo-rental issue,we have asked related department and staff and we would like to take this oppotunity to apologize again for the inconvinience we may cause due to the misunderstanding.

We hope this would not deter you from choosing Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan again in the near future.We look forward to welcoming back here.Thanks!
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is located maybe 20 minutes north of Shanghai Bund by taxi, the access to the rail is not particularly good so taxi's are the only real option and any non Chinese speaking people who has spent time in China will know this is not a desirable choice of transport.

Check-in was smooth, hotel lobby and eating areas are bright and pleasant.

Room very functional and well above the standard of most of the Crowne Plaza's I have stayed in.

Breakfast buffet had a nice spread with plenty of Western and Asian choices... could do with a few more cereal selections :).

Overall happy to recommend this hotel except to advise to take precautions with the taxi's outside the hotel.

The only sour note was an attempt by the taxi driver on my departure trying to stitch me up. He was English speaking and disarming so I mistakenly answered his questions: "yes it was my first time in Shanghai" etc. So the trip to the Pudong international airport nearly became a nightmare as the guy headed West instead of East from the hotel. Fortunately my trustee Google maps apps exposed the scam and after laying down the law the guy agreed to drive me to the airport for half the cost shown on the meter (I think I could have paid nothing but didn't want a further scene at the airport).

Unfortunately Chinese taxi drivers as a gross generalization are the worst in the world (and I have travelled extensively). You MUST be well prepared, know where you are going at all times and don't EVER let your guard down.

Happy travels

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thanks for taking the time to share with your stay with us.I am glad to know that our facilities,food and service made your stay experience more memorable.We will strive in delivering quality services,allowing our guests' to indulge in the best they deserve.

Regarding the terriable taxis experience you mentioned,we felt sorry for the confusion and wondered if you could scan the invoice ang send to us via reservations@crowneplazafudan.com,we could forward to related authorities to follow up.We really do not want guest in our hotel to encounter this awful situation....

Looking forward to your next stay with us! Thanks again for your valuable feedback.^_^
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed 3 nights on a business trip to Shanghai. Was upgraded to a premium room on the 9th floor (receptionist said I was the lucky guest) and it was large. Room was quiet and comfortable. Deco was simple and clean. Stuck on the do not disturb sign and every evening the hotel staff left a note apologizing for not providing the turn down service due to the dnd sign. On the 3rd night, they were clever and provided the turn down service well before I got back. Very thoughtful service. The bed and pillows were EXTREMELY comfortable, truly fantastic sleep quality. They even offered different types of pillows if you need them but I never tried so I'm not sure how that works out.

The room had an international socket (220v only) so if you forgot an adapter, your electrical plugs will still work just fine (make sure it has auto voltage range though). There is a bathtub in the toilet, and rain shower as well. The water pressure was a bit on the average side, I would have preferred something stronger but perhaps this is an individual preference. The breakfast may be a bit limited though in terms of variety but not a major issue.

There are no major shops or restaurants nearby though, so you will need to get a taxi or walk a bit further along Quoquan road and you'll see some roadside stalls along the way (try them if you're adventurous!) and get to the Quoquan road metro station (line 10) from which you can get to anywhere using the Shanghai metro.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Kly10,

Thank you for taking your time to share your staying experience with us!

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our service made your experience more memorable.Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our quality further. I will share your feedback with my team.Thanks again for your time and Hoped welcome you back soon!
Brisbane, Queensland. Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Enjoyed two nights there late May as part of a tour group. A lovely hotel, smiling staff, comfortable rooms and as my headline suggests - hard to fault. Breakfast was comprehensive with a selection of both western and Asian cuisine - the food was hot, fresh and delectable. A couple of handy mini marts are just up the road for additional supplies.
Would I stay here again? - absolutely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Richarddownunder,

Thank you for your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan.I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay,Meanwhile,we take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodation.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future,we really value your loyalty to our hotel! ^_^

Been to Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan? Share your experiences!