“Not the worth of the name.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riverview Hotel

You added Riverview Hotel to your Saves list
Riverview Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.76 Zhongshan South Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200010, China (Yu Garden)   |
Ranked #213 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
Bratislava
“Not the worth of the name.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Despite the name river view, you can barely see the river. Further to the south and away from metro lines. The rooms were clean and newly furbished, bathroom newly renovated and beautiful. A LOT of construction noise, in north and south rooms. Jack-hammers playing from 8 to 22. But therefore affordable and good value. Staff was helpful and speaking English.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
tangerang
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

First time i came there i checked in with the girl, i didnt realize who is she untill she scold me and treating me very badly. i spoke to her in english that i have 2 reservation, she couldnt find my reservation and i looked at her monitor and i can see directly that our name was there, and it took very long time, i showed her my reservation from agoda from my ipad and she looked, she scold me and said how can you 4 people stay in 1 room, i said i have 2 reservation, i couldnt show you both my reservation in 1 screen on my ipad. and she trying and trying and finally she find my reservation. and she filled up the form, she asked her staff how to write family name and sure name. SHE CANT WRITE FAMILY NAME AND SURE NAME. and i must begging her to get me room side by side because my mom just had surgery. she is totally horrible manager ( MANEGER????). i found out her staff is very nice and friendly also much much smarter than her, all of them can seak english fluently and also very helpful. THE MANAGEMENT JUST MAKE A BIG MISTAKE BECAUSE SUNNY IS UNEDUCATED, HORRIBLE AND RUDE MANAGER.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Overall it is a good hotel. Clean, acceptable location, good facilities, helpful staff an so on.
From the airport you will need around 30 to 45 minutes depending on traffic. I suggest to get the Maglev high-speed train (reach the 301 km/h) and then an official taxi. I tried an unofficial one I paid 3x more!!
The location is a bit far from the Bund which is the center of Shanghai but can catch a taxi very quickly once outside the hotel. There are no restaurant around the Hotel. Shanghai is just a monster city. You can walk around but you will need good shoes and a good fitness. The nearest subway station is not very close.
The hotel is clean and so are the rooms. The bed is kind of very hard but I did love it. Quality of sleep is good from midnight to 8am.
Staff overall is ok but not really smiling exept one of the concierge. I did not understand the 3500 yuan deposit on arrival! Ask for a view of the river (partial view anyway) and high level floors.
Flat screen TV with aound 50 channels but only 3-4 in English and not top ones.
The room was quite and confortable.
Free broadband Internet is working well. Very positive if you have to work as I did from your hotel.
The Gym facility is OK to keep you fit.
I found the housekeeping personnel friendly and available but a bit noisy as soon as 9AM.
I did not try the breakfast as I was not inspired by the surrounding and previous comments but you can have a try even though expensive for around 10US$!
I did order a meal into my room. Service and food was OK.
The very negative point about this hotel is that you have to pay for everything you use in the room like the slippers, a tea-bag, or a shampoo. Not the best way to make people who travel to make them feel at home!!
Overall the Hotel is OK but potential for improvement is nevertheless huge.

Room Tip: Ask for High level floors and view on the river
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Other reviewers have pointed out the fact that there are two major construction sites on either side of this hotel - so major that I doubt they'll be able to call it 'The Riverview' after the work finishes. We didn't find the construction work too annoying simply because we got a room on the 16th floor and sleep with ear plugs anyway. However, that being said, I can imagine it gets really disruptive and definitely recommend you find somewhere else if you're noise sensitive

We stayed here twice - at the start and end of our China trip. The first time, we got a room with a city view - the room itself was fantastic in terms of being pretty big, but it definitely faced the noisier construction site. The second room we had was a river view one. It had an amazing view of the skyscraper skyline, but was a much smaller room on a lower floor (11th). For that reason alone, it was a disppointment in comparision. The beds are the hardest I slept on in China!

Staff are ok and have passable English - but I think it'd be a bit of a struggle if you wanted to discuss anything really complicated (much better than my Mandarin though!).

The location is good if you like walking - about 20 mins to The Bund strolling along a lovely waterfront path with a view of the skyscrapers in Pudong. Yunan Fashion Gardens are about a 10 min walk behind the hotel - with a fantastic locals' street food market next to it.

A recommended treat is to go for a drink in the skytop bar on the 66th floor of Le Royal Meridien near People's Park, off the top of Nanjing Road. It gives you a breathtaking view of the Shanghai skyline - like something out of a Sci Fi movie. Beware, though, a glass of wine will set you back 100 yuan and a bottle at least 550 yuan!

Room Tip: Get a high floor on the river view side
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

the hotel istelf is fine, but surrounding the hotel are 2 MAJOR new costruction projects. We were woken at 7am by enormous concrete breakers etc which was unbearable. As I told the manager, this hotel should be closed. I made a big fuss and in the end they refunded my room, but that is not the point. It really spoilt our stay in the city. I would recommend not staying here for at least 2 years.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

First, most taxis have trouble finding this hotel, so be prepared with address card and instructions. I wouldn't say it's close to the Bund--15-20 minute walk, so requires taxi if you want breakfast outside the hotel. Carpets are dirty & rooms other than yours are unheated, but that's common for China, as are hard beds. Tiny closet, bigger one in my biz partner's room, but his heater was broken, so was on non-stop, making for a balmy room. Difficult if you're planning to stay more than a few nights. Breakfast is pretty good, but mostly Chinese dishes...at least we had boiled eggs, which is kinda steep at $9USD/pp. Coffee is horrible, so bring your own Starbuck's Vias for use with the hot pot provided :) Laundry is outrageous for China, so plan to wash your own, or skip it. There is a new construction starting on the City View side, and they work from 6:30am, so it can be noisy for those trying to sleep in. Make sure you get a room above floor 10 or you won't see the river. Staff were helpful & kind, but do expect to tip, about $1-2 for a taxi or bags. The fitness room isn't heated until you arrive, but they had some free weights and aerobic machines. Private rooms for business are nice, but like anywhere, including the "non smoking" rooms, smoking is allowed everywhere, and they keep the windows open to air it out. There is NO wifi anywhere, so be prepared to plug in if you need access. All in all it's a nice looking hotel with good staff, but don't expect 4-star level like America. But when I consider what I paid...what should I expect? It's still a decent value.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can, make sure you specify non-smoking, and choose a room opposite the constructio...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Owings Mills, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

This was a very clean and comfortable hotel. It was within walking distance to the Bund if you're in the mood for a good 20 minute walk. We felt very safe walking around at night. Unfortunately, we didn't notice the fabric district until the day we were leaving so did not have an opportunity to take advantage of the beautiful items on display. Please be mindful that it is not acceptable to stand on the benches. I thought I could get a nice photo above the crowds and was quickly approached by a police officer. I was relieved to find my American apologizy sufficient to eliminate any embarrassing moments.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Riverview Hotel? Share your experiences!