“loved the location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nanjing Fandian

You added Nanjing Fandian to your Saves list
Nanjing Fandian
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.200 Shanxi South Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200001, China (People's Square)   |
Ranked #538 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
3.5 of 5 stars 283 Reviews
Lyon, France
“loved the location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

the best thing about this hotel is definitely the location. it's around the corner from one of the biggest shopping street of the city. We had an amazing view of the city from our balcony.
the streets are very busy so noisy, but I always carry ear pluggs on my travels.I would advice bringing some.
it's also very close from a subway station.
I went to the national museum which is within a walkable distance (I would say 15 or 20min).
It's very close from the river where you've got the best view on Shanghai skyline !

the room was pretty small but we were there just to sleep so it didn't bother us. good air con'.safe in bedroom.

but the facilities are pretty poor. no wifi, internet avaiable though for 10 Yuans a day (so cheap!). no laundery facilites or service. no bar . no restaurant. no bottle of water provided on arrival.
the staff was pretty good. their english were ok. I did not try to ask them for direction though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was the last hotel in our G Adventures tour. The area appears a little congested at first, because once you get off the metro, you are among the hustling and bustling people of Shanghai. The hotel is located on a small side street around the corner of the metro. They have a warm and inviting lobby with two elevators that never took too long. Granted they are small.

The room was much smaller than the Gusu in Suzhou, but adequate for its purpose. The bathroom was the most modern we have seen without any issues. Most of the Chinese hotels offered spare toothbrushes and paste. The closet was much larger than the others and again, tv with only two English channels. The beds are very, very firm, but by now, I was already use to them.

Here is where the Nanjing staff really made an impression. My friend had developed a very bad heat rash and the pharmacist around the corner said he needed hospital care. The two women at the front desk gave us the name of a hospital within walking distance, wrote down the address, and then drew a small map to get to it. And one night when I went out to take pictures during the rain, I came in flustered and scared because I thought my wallet was pick-pocketed from me. The night front desk woman, gave me a new room key (she checked my photocopied passport picture first), then indicated to come back down later. Fortunately, I left my wallet in the room, but that hopeless feeling in a foreign country was scary.

I would definitely consider staying here again. There's a small 24-hour market across the street. A very good restaurant down the street, and around the corner, next to the hostel. And the hostel had a bar that served large Tsing Taos for 8 yuan ($1.35 American), not a bad deal. Oh, and there was a street vendor in front that made Chinese pancakes: fried dough with egg, and your choice of bacon or sausage. I had mine with bacon and it came out to 5 yuan. This vendor was recommended by our tour guide, so we knew it was safe. Plus, it's all fried in hot oil.

Room Tip: Tried to get a room facing the back, it's much quieter. Not much of a view, but the city of Sha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This hotel is right of the walking street in Shanghai and near 2 subway lines making it easy to get anywhere you'd like to go in Shanghai. As with all hotels in China, the beds are hard and there doesn't appear to be much vacuuming done when they turn the rooms over and everyone is smoking in the common areas of the hotel. That being said, this was one of the better hotel rooms I stayed in while in China.

The dumpling restaurant across the street is also very good and was recommend to us by multiple locals.

Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Can not beat the location of this hotel in this price range. This hotel was the joining point for our tour and we added a couple of extra nights on the front end to enjoy a little more of Shanghai. The prime location allowed us to do just that - the subway entrance is literally right next door, the pedestrian Nanjing Street is a few steps away, and The Bund was only a few blocks walk away.

The beds were not very comfortable (similar to most mid range Chinese hotels where beds are as hard as a rock), but based on tips we read, we brought our own small thermorest pads which improved our sleeping comfort. The street was a bit noisy in the morning with construction and in the evening with restaurants shouting to attract customers.

We did not eat in the restaurant for breakfast as the buffet was not appealing to us, however, right around the corner there is delicious street food which hit the spot!

But all in all - we would definitely stay there again as the location was superb, especially for the price

Room Tip: a room on the higher floor will give you a better view, and potentially quiter
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

This hotel is situated near metro East Nanjing road exit 1. It is a fantastic location in the Bund and People's Square, you can't beat that !
Beside that, the hotel is worn out. My room was clean, but it gives the impression that is dirty because it needs uplifting. There is this smell of cooking oil in the evening ...
When everybody gets back from their sightseeing, the 'door orchestra' starts. You kind of have to 'slam' the door in order to close it. The keycard lock makes it difficult not to slam the door ...
In concusion, If you DON'T stay at the hotel too much, I really think it is well worth it !

Room Tip: Rooms at the back face a restaurant, there is noise until late evening. Rooms in front face a busy...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed here as our tour departed from this hotel. It's easy to get to, being around the corner from the metro station (line 2). Our room was quite large but most aren't. We had a room facing Tianjin Road. The room was comfortable, the bed way too hard like everywhere we went in China. Only complaint was the variety of noises from the street (and we were on the quieter side) - everything seemed to echo up to our room. The buffet breakfast was cheap and filling, but many dishes were cold and a bit unusual for some people. If you want a great breakfast there's a superb dumpling place further up Shanxi Nanlu on the corner of Ningbo Street and the best shallot pancakes in the world around that corner in Ningbo street - just look for the queue of hungry customers. The hotel is very handy to the pedestrian mall part of Nanjing Road too. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as part of a tour group in late March. I had every intention of getting there from the airport by train (which is VERY easy to do), but I was so tired that I jumped in a cab and was there in 40 minutes. The woman at the front desk was very helpful and spoke enough English. I had no problems with the elevators. The rooms are by no means flashy but they are comfortable. They probably need a bit of a facelift but they're ok, I had issues with the hot water in my bathroom, but after calling the front desk they sorted it out pretty quickly.

The reason you stay at this hotel is for the location. We walked to the Bund area and to the Yuyuan Gardens and the area around there. The metro station is around the corner. Most of Nanjing Road is a big pedestrian area that is full of shops, restaurants and coffee places. You can find Starbucks and Costa there, lots of fast food, local restaurants and too many shops to name.

If you want all this but in a flashy hotel, stay at the Sofitel. But if you want a basic but comfortable hotel in the heart of things for a lot less, stay at the Nanjing.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Nanjing Fandian? Share your experiences!